We are the Computer Chess Community. We control ourselves.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Re: We are the Computer Chess Community. We control ourselves.

Post by Guenther »

noobpwnftw wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:22 pm I don't see how it is a beneficial thing to do to make a gigantic list of entries that are irrelevant.

So here is the thing:

If you test every random SF clone that people may release, how is that different from just testing every SFdev commit like NCM? Do you do that to your "general" rating lists? I don't think so.

Now, I also have a plenty of experiments of different NNUE arch, size and they vary in performance, in fact, I probably explored more architecture variants before some other guy re-invented them, do you consider that I would be offering an "edge" to the independent testers if I just go by nicknaming all my nets and let people play around it all? I don't think so either.

So I'm quite mystified on what the standards being for them in technical terms other than having a skill set involving anus licking.
Most testers are simply betraying themselves by saying they are testers not judges.
Actually they all judge too! But it seems they cannot accept this truth themselves.

Otherwise all rating lists would be full of Raubfish, JudasPro, Salt, Orca and whatever, but they are not!
So they judged and their judgement led them to decisions, which are/were doubtful or plain stupid sometimes, that's it.

To be fair, there are also 'so called' wannabe rating lists, which really don't 'judge at all', but their results are disgusting of course.
https://chessengines.blogspot.com/2021/ ... 10221.html
(you can guess by the names what was cloned or not)
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
the_real_greco
Full name: Andy!

Post by the_real_greco »

noobpwnftw wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:22 pm I don't see how it is a beneficial thing to do to make a gigantic list of entries that are irrelevant.

So I'm quite mystified on what the standards being for them in technical terms other than having a skill set involving anus licking.
Ratings lists answer the question, "How strong is X engine relative to other engines?"

People were asking that question about Fat Fritz. Very few people are asking that about each Stockfish commit. Nobody is asking that about your net iterations.

You're looking for inclusion standards in technical terms, but those don't need to exist.
noobpwnftw

Post by noobpwnftw »

That I don't disagree, but if it simply boils down to having "demands", then it is no better than people selling street drugs(some designer ones are even legal).
the_real_greco
Full name: Andy!

Post by the_real_greco »

noobpwnftw wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:24 pm That I don't disagree, but if it simply boils down to having "demands", then it is no better than people selling street drugs(some designer ones are even legal).
I'm confused about this. More supply arising due to increased demands makes sense, but why the street drugs exactly? Are you arguing that having engines on these ratings lists encourages cloning?

I'm sure that right now, Silver and ChessBase would prefer that FF2 not be on the CCRL or Pohl's. That was never their goal, and now it's just hurting them.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

the_real_greco wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:57 pmI'm sure that right now, Silver and ChessBase would prefer that FF2 not be on the CCRL or Pohl's. That was never their goal, and now it's just hurting them.
Sure it does - because it exposes their lie that FF2 offers anything over Stockfish.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
flok
Full name: Folkert van Heusden

Post by flok »

Ras wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:50 pm
the_real_greco wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:57 pmI'm sure that right now, Silver and ChessBase would prefer that FF2 not be on the CCRL or Pohl's. That was never their goal, and now it's just hurting them.
Sure it does - because it exposes their lie that FF2 offers anything over Stockfish.
I shows that is actually weaker. So who cares?
Ras

Post by Ras »

flok wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:02 pmI shows that is actually weaker. So who cares?
Potential customers who may then be less inclined to shell out a 100 EUR for nothing?
Rasmus Althoff
cpeters
Full name: Christian Petersen

Post by cpeters »

pohl4711 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:50 pm
AndrewGrant wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:25 am Well the answer to that is if its a commercial engine, the list would have to buy a copy if they care to test it. I imagine all authors have happily given copies to all the testers on release in the past; I would break that tradition.
Only exception was Fat Fritz 2, I got a free testversion from Albert Silver.
He had to give it to you in advance for the concerted action - otherwise you couldn't have filled your rating list with data supporting the story/narrative that FatFritz2 is the new number one at release date (before that publishing test results were forbidden). There would have been simply no story.

Fine by me. Your hobby /electricity bills.
flok
Full name: Folkert van Heusden

Post by flok »

Ras wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:07 pm
flok wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:02 pmI shows that is actually weaker. So who cares?
Potential customers who may then be less inclined to shell out a 100 EUR for nothing?
I somewhat doubt that most buyers will google for rating lists before they buy something like Fritz. If they know about their existence at all.
Ras

Post by Ras »

flok wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:18 pmI somewhat doubt that most buyers will google for rating lists before they buy something like Fritz.
They don't need to because the news has already been spreading rapidly. GM Hikaru has a video on YT, stuff is going hot on Reddit, and in any chess forum, it's sufficient if one poster knows about that. It's going viral, and having an actual source prevents Chessbase from dismissing it as "fake news".
Rasmus Althoff