More Details About Fritz 12

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

Re: More Details About Fritz 12

Post by AdminX »

More about Fritz 12
Rated games with a more precise, real-world rating system.
Dial display for how sharp a position is (hotness) plus a special Mate-O-Meter.
Improved spy function shows clear refutations and only direct threats.
Analysis + openings classification revised and improved.
Calculation training improved.
Improved engine management: 4 GB memory for 64-Bit UCI engines, CPU display and simple settings for multi engines.
Evaluation profile optionally as non-linear display (as at the Chess Classic in Mainz).
New Fritz engine: even stronger!
New openings book by Alex Kure
Twelve hours chess tutorial videos with international trainers and world class players
Updated database of 1.5 million games from 1625 to 2009

http://www.wholesalechess.com/chess/fritz_12
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

AdminX wrote:
More about Fritz 12
Rated games with a more precise, real-world rating system.
Dial display for how sharp a position is (hotness) plus a special Mate-O-Meter.
Improved spy function shows clear refutations and only direct threats.
Analysis + openings classification revised and improved.
Calculation training improved.
Improved engine management: 4 GB memory for 64-Bit UCI engines, CPU display and simple settings for multi engines.
Evaluation profile optionally as non-linear display (as at the Chess Classic in Mainz).
New Fritz engine: even stronger!
New openings book by Alex Kure
Twelve hours chess tutorial videos with international trainers and world class players
Updated database of 1.5 million games from 1625 to 2009

http://www.wholesalechess.com/chess/fritz_12
It sounds like it happened by accident :lol:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Spock

Post by Spock »

I wonder what advantage you get with huge hash sizes like 4GB with 64-bit engines. In Shredder GUI, once just for fun, I set Zappa to use 6GB (on an 8GB machine) and it was quite happy. I guess they have just responded to customer requests (unusual for chessbase perhaps) but I seriously doubt that anything bigger than 1GB of hash is useful
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Spock wrote:I wonder what advantage you get with huge hash sizes like 4GB with 64-bit engines. In Shredder GUI, once just for fun, I set Zappa to use 6GB (on an 8GB machine) and it was quite happy. I guess they have just responded to customer requests (unusual for chessbase perhaps) but I seriously doubt that anything bigger than 1GB of hash is useful
Totaly agreed here....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

hahaha it does :D
PauloSoare

Post by PauloSoare »

Good when you are in infinite analyses?
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Spock wrote:I wonder what advantage you get with huge hash sizes like 4GB with 64-bit engines. In Shredder GUI, once just for fun, I set Zappa to use 6GB (on an 8GB machine) and it was quite happy. I guess they have just responded to customer requests (unusual for chessbase perhaps) but I seriously doubt that anything bigger than 1GB of hash is useful
I guess that with correspondence analysis and a really fast multiple CPU engine, it's practically essential to have a huge hash.

If (for instance) you were going to analyze a position for 8 CPU days I suspect that (for example) 100 GB hash would be highly beneficial.

Consider a mere 1.5 M NPS per CPU * 8 cores for 8 days...

1.5 M NPS * 8 cores * 86400 sec/day * 8 days = 8,294,400,000,000 nodes
If (for example) a hash table entry contains 64 bytes, then 100 GB hash would hold 1,562,500,000 entries.
Hence, each hash table entry would have been rewritten about 5000 times.
(acutally, a lot less than that, since only a majority are leaf positions).

But anyway, if you are doing long time calculations, then huge hash is better. If you had a super-fast machine with tons of CPUs and you wanted to analyze for a full week, then I suspect that the most memory you can put on your motherboard would be best.
ernest

Post by ernest »

Dann Corbit wrote:If (for example) a hash table entry contains 64 bytes
I am quite surprised by these numbers, Dann!
For me, by far not all nodes give a hash entry, and 1 hash entry = 16 bytes usually (10 bytes for ChessTiger...)