Goodbye Talkchess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Locked
User avatar
Harvey Williamson
Posts: 1743
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 9:12 pm
Location: Media City, UK
Contact:

Re: Goodbye Talkchess

Post by Harvey Williamson » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:58 pm

Terry McCracken wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:'Be seeing you.'

10 points to anyone who can tell me where that line is from before Chris Conkie does.

Or should it be '2' points? Or maybe '6'?
Right This Way is a Broadway production that opened at the 46th Street Theatre on January 5, 1938 and ran for fifteen performances. It was categorized as an original musical comedy and was set in Paris and Boston. A song titled "I'll Be Seeing You" that was featured in the production was written by Irving Kahal & Sammy Fain. Frank Sinatra sang the song and included it on the album "Point Of No Return" (1962). The song was also revived for the 2004 film, "The Notebook".

Patrick McGoohan in The Prisoner

RIP
Well done Terry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AL7npkSXZE

http://www.booksmusicfilmstv.com/TVStar ... oohan.html
Last edited by Harvey Williamson on Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

karger
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:27 am

Re: Goodbye Talkchess

Post by karger » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:00 am

Very well put, amigo, Banks lives in a world all his own.

Terry McCracken
Posts: 15798
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:16 am
Location: Canada

Re: Goodbye Talkchess

Post by Terry McCracken » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:03 am

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:'Be seeing you.'

10 points to anyone who can tell me where that line is from before Chris Conkie does.

Or should it be '2' points? Or maybe '6'?
Right This Way is a Broadway production that opened at the 46th Street Theatre on January 5, 1938 and ran for fifteen performances. It was categorized as an original musical comedy and was set in Paris and Boston. A song titled "I'll Be Seeing You" that was featured in the production was written by Irving Kahal & Sammy Fain. Frank Sinatra sang the song and included it on the album "Point Of No Return" (1962). The song was also revived for the 2004 film, "The Notebook".

Patrick McGoohan in The Prisoner

RIP
Well done Terry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AL7npkSXZE
Thanks...Number 2! :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-X5Hgbc688
Terry McCracken

Christopher Conkie
Posts: 6064
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:34 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Goodbye Talkchess

Post by Christopher Conkie » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:05 am

Harvey Williamson wrote:'Be seeing you.'

10 points to anyone who can tell me where that line is from before Chris Conkie does.

Or should it be '2' points? Or maybe '6'?
This was the post you were getting until I saw Terry got it....

============

OK I'll stay "en prise" on this one.

============

Chris

User avatar
Harvey Williamson
Posts: 1743
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 9:12 pm
Location: Media City, UK
Contact:

Re: Goodbye Talkchess

Post by Harvey Williamson » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:13 am

karger wrote:Very well put, amigo, Banks lives in a world all his own.
Well I know he lives in New Zealand but.......?

royb
Posts: 507
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:53 pm

Re: Goodbye Talkchess

Post by royb » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:15 am

Harvey Williamson wrote:'Be seeing you.'

10 points to anyone who can tell me where that line is from before Chris Conkie does.

Or should it be '2' points? Or maybe '6'?
It's from the TV show "The Prisoner". An awesome show!! And 2 refers to Number 2 and 6 to Number 6 (played by Patrick McGoohan)...

gerold
Posts: 10055
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: van buren,missouri

Re: Goodbye Talkchess

Post by gerold » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:19 am

Sorry to see you go. You did a very good job and never
dropped the ball once.

Good Luck,
Gerold.

zamar
Posts: 613
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:03 am

Re: Goodbye Talkchess

Post by zamar » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:23 am

Pity.

For me the system where the "endless clone discussion" was put in Engine origins forum, but infrequent release announcements and analysis were tolerated in "General Topics" was perfect solution. Forum was open for discussion, but the solution avoided situation where >50% of posts in "General topics" were clone flamewars.

I ask company behind Talkchess.com to reconsider their solution. I hate cloning and have been personally convinced so far that Ippolit is a clone of Rybka, but as a writer of open source program and supporter of the right to free speech, I WILL NOT STAY ON THE FORUM WHICH IS DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY UNDER CONTROL OF MONOPOLIZING CHESS COMPANY AND LEADING CHESS ENGINE AUTHOR.

So I really ask the company behind this forum to reconsider. Don't you understand that with your decision THIS FORUM IS DOOMED TO DEATH.

P.S. Sorry for yelling, you just made me very angry :evil: :evil: :evil:
Joona Kiiski

swami
Posts: 6535
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:21 am

Re: Goodbye Talkchess

Post by swami » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:39 am

sockmonkey wrote:Hi,

I am finished with talkchess.com. The site administration and my co-moderator Graham Banks have made it impossible for me to continue as a moderator, and in a more extended sense, as a member of this community. Before I explain my reasons for leaving: I am starting a new, free, uncensored, (though unconditionally non-warez) computer chess site -- OpenChess -- which can be found at http://www.open-chess.org/ -- effective immediately. I hope that, with time, it will become a valuable alternative to talkchess.com, but without commercial influence over content, and without biased moderation or censorship of discussions in progress. I encourage anyone with an interest in computer chess, everyone who desires a forum where free, uncensored, tolerant discourse is possible, engine authors as well as testers and end-users, to join. There's not much there yet, but that's just a matter of time and your participation. As we populate and organize OpenChess, your suggestions are welcome.


That's a nice forum you have set up, Jeremy. I'm sure it will get more popular over time. I have registered it there.

It's a good idea to create a forum where commercial and money-minded businesses don't have control over anything.

Open Chess. Great!

"Your Move, ICD" controls Talkchess. This has been going on forever, there's always been a shop technique to influence the forums..Rybka forum has commercial engine.
Last edited by swami on Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Zach Wegner
Posts: 1922
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:51 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Goodbye Talkchess

Post by Zach Wegner » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:40 am

zamar wrote:Pity.

For me the system where the "endless clone discussion" was put in Engine origins forum, but infrequent release announcements and analysis were tolerated in "General Topics" was perfect solution. Forum was open for discussion, but the solution avoided situation where >50% of posts in "General topics" were clone flamewars.

I ask company behind Talkchess.com to reconsider their solution. I hate cloning and have been personally convinced so far that Ippolit is a clone of Rybka, but as a writer of open source program and supporter of the right to free speech, I WILL NOT STAY ON THE FORUM WHICH IS DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY UNDER CONTROL OF MONOPOLIZING CHESS COMPANY AND LEADING CHESS ENGINE AUTHOR.

So I really ask the company behind this forum to reconsider. Don't you understand that with your decision THIS FORUM IS DOOMED TO DEATH.

P.S. Sorry for yelling, you just made me very angry :evil: :evil: :evil:
Agree 100%.

Locked