GM Kaufman v.Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds (Moves 1-40)

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

Re: GM Kaufman v. Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds Game

Post by bob »

lkaufman wrote:
Steve B wrote: instead of playing it safe and Castling she continues to walk on the wild side with...
12..b6

[d] r1b1k2r/p1ppnppp/1pn5/4Pq2/2B5/B1Q2N2/P4PPP/5RK1 w kq - 0 13

Postcards From The Edge Regards
Steve
I play 13.h3, which takes a square from the Black queen, makes luft, and gives the option of g4 at any time. I don't think Black's b6 was a bad move; she can still castle now or after ..Bb7, or even castle long then. So still no mistakes by Connie.
I agree. I spent months working on the "castle if you want to, or if you must, but _not_ just because you can." Don't remember which GM offered that advice, but it was in some book I read many years ago.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

bob wrote:
lkaufman wrote:
Steve B wrote: instead of playing it safe and Castling she continues to walk on the wild side with...
12..b6

Steve
I play 13.h3, which takes a square from the Black queen, makes luft, and gives the option of g4 at any time. I don't think Black's b6 was a bad move; she can still castle now or after ..Bb7, or even castle long then. So still no mistakes by Connie.
I agree. I spent months working on the "castle if you want to, or if you must, but _not_ just because you can." Don't remember which GM offered that advice, but it was in some book I read many years ago.
A late friend of mine, a master, said, 'Castle if there's no better move on the board.' It was 25 years ago so I'm a bit sketchy, but that's close.
Terry McCracken
Don

Post by Don »

Terry McCracken wrote:
bob wrote:
lkaufman wrote:
12..b6

Steve
A late friend of mine, a master, said, 'Castle if there's no better move on the board.' It was 25 years ago so I'm a bit sketchy, but that's close.
Castling is a blunder because it's puts your king further from the center for the endgame :-)
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Don wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
bob wrote:
lkaufman wrote:

Castling is a blunder because it's puts your king further from the center for the endgame :-)
Well Connie seems to have not gotten the above memos on when to Castle because she delays it for yet another move
preferring instead to Fianchetto the B with...

13..Bb7

[d] r3k2r/pbppnppp/1pn5/4Pq2/2B5/B1Q2N1P/P4PP1/5RK1 w kq - 0 14

Will Connie Castle Regards?
Steve
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Steve B wrote:
Don wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
bob wrote:
lkaufman wrote:

Well Connie seems to have not gotten the above memos on when to Castle because she delays it for yet another move

13..Bb7

Steve
Perhaps it is planning 0-0-0.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Albert Silver wrote:
Perhaps it is planning 0-0-0.
you can vote on that BTW..

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 5c80d35f53

0-0-0-0 Regards
Steve
Terry McCracken

Don wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
bob wrote:
lkaufman wrote:
12..b6

Steve
Not if you castle queenside you do it all at once, connect your Rooks, shelter your King and after exchanges are ready for the Endgame. :wink:
Terry McCracken
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Steve B wrote: Well Connie seems to have not gotten the above memos on when to Castle because she delays it for yet another move

13..Bb7

Steve
I play 14.Rc1. Since I think it would be much more difficult to attack Black if she castles long, I choose a move to deter that option. So I expect Black will castle short, in which case my rook will not be optimally placed. Bottom line is that Black's decision to postpone castling has paid off.
Terry McCracken

lkaufman wrote:
Steve B wrote: Well Connie seems to have not gotten the above memos on when to Castle because she delays it for yet another move

13..Bb7

Steve
I play 14.Rc1. Since I think it would be much more difficult to attack Black if she castles long, I choose a move to deter that option. So I expect Black will castle short, in which case my rook will not be optimally placed. Bottom line is that Black's decision to postpone castling has paid off.
You may be right that the program may as a result of 14. Rc1 reply with 14..0-0 but it may reply with more pressure on your e-pawn with 14..Ng6.

I think you have your work cut out for you Larry. I'll give you credit taking on the Connie with aggressive style with a Q-Rook down, I wouldn't be brave enough to try it publicly.

The next few moves will be very critical. I hope you find a crack soon in the Connie's play.
Terry McCracken
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

lkaufman wrote:
and Deter 0-0-0 you did
thankfully though.. Connie finally elects to ...

14..0-0

[d] r4rk1/pbppnppp/1pn5/4Pq2/2B5/B1Q2N1P/P4PP1/2R3K1 w - - 0 15

Exhaling Regards
Steve