GM Kaufman v.Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds (Moves 1-40)

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lkaufman

Re: GM Kaufman v. Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds Game

Post by lkaufman »

Steve B wrote: and Deter 0-0-0 you did
thankfully though.. Connie finally elects to ...

14..0-0

[d] r4rk1/pbppnppp/1pn5/4Pq2/2B5/B1Q2N1P/P4PP1/2R3K1 w - - 0 15

Exhaling Regards
Steve
I play 15.Rd1. Of course I would have preferred to play this directly instead of Rc1 first, but then 0-0-0 looked too good. Rd1 may make Black "worry" about the d pawn a bit, and also allows Bc1 if it is ever needed to attack the queen.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

lkaufman wrote:
I play 15.Rd1. Of course I would have preferred to play this directly instead of Rc1 first, but then 0-0-0 looked too good. Rd1 may make Black "worry" about the d pawn a bit, and also allows Bc1 if it is ever needed to attack the queen.
Connie does indeed defend the d pawn sliding the R over with..
15..Rfd8

[d] r2r2k1/pbppnppp/1pn5/4Pq2/2B5/B1Q2N1P/P4PP1/3R2K1 w - - 0 16

personally i would have chosen the other R with Rad8.. but then again.. if i were up a R+PP against a GM i would probably be offering you a draw and writing a book to sell my memoirs
:P

Shameless Regards
Steve
zamar

Post by zamar »

Steve B wrote: [d] r2r2k1/pbppnppp/1pn5/4Pq2/2B5/B1Q2N1P/P4PP1/3R2K1 w - - 0 16

personally i would have chosen the other R with Rad8.. but then again.. if i were up a R+PP against a GM i would probably be offering you a draw and writing a book to sell my memoirs
:P

Steve
If I would be playing this against GM as black, I would now be very worried about white launching attack versus my queen and king. I'm only 2000 elo patzer, but plan including moves like g4, Bc1, Bd3, Ng5 which chase queen and at the same time attack black's king position, looks very dangerous for me...
Joona Kiiski
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

My rating is also not much above 2000 but I believe in material so even if black lose the pawn h7 it does not seem dangerous to me(and black can defend).

The only question is if there is a way to cause the computer to make mistakes.
I guess that after
After g4 Qg6 Bc1 the computer is going to find the best move Na5 with the idea Qc6.

I did not think about it before looking at the analysis of engines but the move that I thought about(d6) is probably also enough.
Uri
Milos

Post by Milos »

zamar wrote:If I would be playing this against GM as black, I would now be very worried about white launching attack versus my queen and king. I'm only 2000 elo patzer, but plan including moves like g4, Bc1, Bd3, Ng5 which chase queen and at the same time attack black's king position, looks very dangerous for me...
First 2000 elo is not a patzer. Second, on that level of play (above 2000 elo), the rook worth is almost 1000 elo. So there is no way a 2000 elo player looses from any GM. Loosing would simply mean his real rating is much lower than 2000.
To go one step further, I predict Connie will draw with ease, maybe even win.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Milos wrote:
zamar wrote:If I would be playing this against GM as black, I would now be very worried about white launching attack versus my queen and king. I'm only 2000 elo patzer, but plan including moves like g4, Bc1, Bd3, Ng5 which chase queen and at the same time attack black's king position, looks very dangerous for me...
First 2000 elo is not a patzer. Second, on that level of play (above 2000 elo), the rook worth is almost 1000 elo. So there is no way a 2000 elo player looses from any GM. Loosing would simply mean his real rating is much lower than 2000.
How did you calculate a 1000 rtg. pts. for a Rook??
Terry McCracken
Milos

Post by Milos »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Milos wrote:First 2000 elo is not a patzer. Second, on that level of play (above 2000 elo), the rook worth is almost 1000 elo. So there is no way a 2000 elo player looses from any GM. Loosing would simply mean his real rating is much lower than 2000.
By playing eng. vs. eng. games ;).
gerold

Post by gerold »

Milos wrote:
I will predict that Connie will win with ease.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Milos wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Milos wrote:First 2000 elo is not a patzer. Second, on that level of play (above 2000 elo), the rook worth is almost 1000 elo. So there is no way a 2000 elo player looses from any GM. Loosing would simply mean his real rating is much lower than 2000.
By playing eng. vs. eng. games ;).
I think that's a little high between human vs. human but it may very between engine vs engine and human vs engine.

I know the calculations between human vs human is much lower.

A pawn worth approx. 100 rtg. pts. in the initial position. First move maybe 20 rtg. pts. I'd need to check again. I could see maybe 120 rtg. pts. for a pawn and up to 35-40 rtg. pts. for first move, maybe. So 600-700 rtg. pts. for a Rook? Q-Rook being closer to 600 and as low as 500.

Chess Life did a write up on it in '99. That is well buried at the moment. Easier to google it.
Terry McCracken
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

It's very dependent on time limit. I can give rook odds to 1800 human in blitz, but at 40/2 I would think the proper rating would be in the 1400-1500 range for rook handicap. Of course that is about a thousand points below me. But it's not a constant; I believe an 1800 would be favored vs. Anand at rook, and a 1000 would lose badly to a 2000 at rook. I have one young student rated around 1050 whom I play at rook plus White plus 10 to 5 time odds, and I've won thirty in a row. I think I have have underestimated Connie because probably most of the handicap games I've played with engines in the past have been at faster levels, maybe 30" per move average or so. Connie would be rated around 1950 on the USCF scale (based on the 2018 official rating of the subsequent model SuperConstellation), and as my USCF rating is about 2450 I've only got a 500 Elo lead, surely not enough to give a rook in a slow game (knight might be another story though...). But I'll do my best.