Chess GUI

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Alexander Schmidt

Re: Chess GUI

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

hgm wrote: Well, we had not gotten to that point yet, really. The issue was whether you could say that WinBoard targets an entirely different group of users than Arena. Apart from the database issue, there seems no real difference in the offered functionality. And it is hard to believe that this database thing should now suddenly be all important, as I had never even heard it mention in connection with Arena.
For me it's a difference, and as I am a user and you a programer we must trust my judgment regarding the user opinion :)

I still think Arena has more features, also beside database functions :)

I go to sleep now, and I guess I wont come back the next days.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:For me it's a difference, and as I am a user and you a programer we must trust my judgment regarding the user opinion :)
Well, I believe you, but that is not really what we were discussing. The question was if such a large majority of Arena users considers this feature so important that you can say that they form a different group of users. It is not at all evident that you are representative for all Arena users.
I go to sleep now, and I guess I wont come back the next days.
Well, good night! Even if you won't be back, perhaps someone else can tell me: I see a screenshot with a lot of messy arrows and markers on it. (So I guess we have left the issue of themes now it turns out Arena is not so special in this respect...)

Are there really people that want this? What the heck would you use such a thing for, and when would you need it? Does it disappear automatically when you would step to the next position (e.g. by doing a move), and would it then come back when you recall the position? (I.e. does every positon have its own set of markers, or is it really the board that gets permanently marked?)
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

George Bodkin wrote:What is the best Chess Gui to use for Engine to Engine Matches other than Arena. And where Can I download it from??

Thanks George
I use cutechess-cli under Linux. A windows "equivalent" of this would be LittleBlitzer
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

George Bodkin wrote:What is the best Chess Gui to use for Engine to Engine Matches other than Arena. And where Can I download it from??

Thanks George
UCI Engine to Engine in Windows, for fast controls, LittleBlitzer by far. PGN, EPD and FEN support for openings, PGN output. Low latency between the games, info about NPS, depth and time usage of each engine, multi-thread, parallel matches.

http://www.kimiensoftware.com/software/ ... tleblitzer

Kai
George Bodkin

Post by George Bodkin »

ChessGui can it give you Ratings like Arena And if so How do You set it up.

Question #2 in WinBoard How do You add engines. In arena its easy but Winboard I cant figure it out.

Thanks George
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

George Bodkin wrote:ChessGui can it give you Ratings like Arena ...

Thanks George
No, current ChessGUI only calculates Elo change from game to game.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
George Bodkin

Post by George Bodkin »

So if I give a engine a starting elo in chessgui it will calculate each engines elo
as I play a tournament
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

George Bodkin wrote:So if I give a engine a starting elo in chessgui it will calculate each engines elo
as I play a tournament
Yes, "Rated Tournament".
I think that is not as accurate as calculating from pgn file.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

George Bodkin wrote:ChessGui can it give you Ratings like Arena And if so How do You set it up.

Question #2 in WinBoard How do You add engines. In arena its easy but Winboard I cant figure it out.

Thanks George
Do you mean "add to the tournament" or "add to the list from which you can select them"?

The Load Engine dialog in the Engine menu contains a checkbox "add to list" (ticked by default) that will add any engine you specify to the drop-down lists from which you can select them. (If they are already on that list, you would just select them from it, of course, rather than specifying them again.)
facil

Post by facil »

hgm wrote:
Well, I really know zilch about database usage, I have never done that, and cannot even imagine what kind of functionality people would expect for this. The furthest WinBoard gets is allowing you to select a subset of the games in a PGN file based on their tags.
I'll tell you my experience with database usage. There are two main things I do with a database, study openings and store my games.

How one study openings with a database? Simple, you search a set of games for a position. Normally, you will want to filter those games by elo, as many games will be played by low rated players. Once you have a list of say 20 games on the position you want to study, you replay the games to get the feeling of how to handle the position, study general plans, etc.

Hence, the most important part when studying openings for me is:

a) the ability to search for a given position.

b) the ability to filter the results by elo.

Normally a plus will be to automatically open the game in the position you have searched. Chessbase does that.

To store games there are nothing special, just let save a game to an existing database, or let new databases be created. The point is that normally you will want to store the game analyzed, and then we are talking about the capacity of the program to annotate games.

I like SCID for this. Although now xboard manages variations, it won't show cleanly (at least for me) those in the annotation of the game. For me it is kind of confusing. You can download SCID and insert some variations to see how I like it. Of course it is all matter of taste, some other people will like it different.

Last, the arrows thing: it is used (I first saw it in Chessbase) to help annotate. You will make arrows to show what a piece is attacking, the path a piece will follow in your plan, usually for knights (a further way to use arrows is to show the full plan of development for a given position. Say I want to annotate this: The knight will go Nd2-f1-g3 or e3, the queen will go e2 supporting the e4 pawn, a rook will go to the open d file. I would use arrows like this: an arrow from d2 to f1, two arrows from f1, one to g3, one to e3, an arrow from wherever is the queen to e2, and maybe an arrow of other color from e2 to e4 showing it protects the pawn, and an arrow from a rook to d1, with a different color arrow through the whole d file), or you will colour a square red to show it is a weakness, green to show it is a stronghold, etc. It is very useful in online commentaries, and I have seen it in Chessbase DVDs to great effect. On personal games I don't like it, as I rather put a comment on the move saying 'd5 is weak'. I see it more oriented to show a position to others, not for self-consume.

The arrows, and the colored squares will disappear the moment you change the position.

PS: I forgot another use for the database in chess: search for games of your next opponent.

With that you basically filter the games with his name. Xboard is good enough to do that, and I usually use xboard here over scid as SCID sometimes makes a mess with the codification of the names, and won't accept things like á, é, í, ó, ú or ñ.