Proposing: The REAL World Computer Chess Championship

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

As a PARTICIPANT, would you allow Houdini and Rybka to participate?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:22 am

Yes
61%
No
21%
Only Houdini
8%
Only Rybka
11%

Total votes: 66

geots

Re: Proposing: The REAL World Computer Chess Championship

Post by geots »

Peter Skinner wrote:Hello everyone,

This September, I will host the initial World Computer Chess Championship.

The winner of this event will be crowned the World Computer Chess Champion and will defend that title next year in a 48 game match vs the winner of the CCT event in February.

Every February, the CCT tournament will act as a candidates tournament where the winner of the event will go on to face the World Champion later that year in September in a 48 game match.

The CCT event will switch from a 7 round swiss event to a double round robin tournament. This may need to be played over two weekends depending on the number of participants. That will give us plenty games to form a rating list to start, and all tournaments in a calendar year will add to a competitor's rating. Future events will be seeded based off the rating list.

The Championship 48 game matches will be played 24/7 over the internet with 4 games per day so everyone in every time zone can tune in and watch games without having to stay up all night to watch.

There will also be a registration fee, with different levels for Professional programs and Amateur programs. This will allow me to pay for advertising, commentators, and prizes. I am working details out currently with a sponsor for the events, and only haggling over amount of advertising space on the CCT website, and how it will be promoted.

Depending on how much I get from this deal will dictate the entry fees. Only one fee is required to enter both tournaments this cycle (September and February event).

Discuss...

I've put up a pole asking about participation of Houdini and Rybka and ONLY those two programs.

I am not a programmer, obviously- but it is a terrible, terrible error to let the other programmers, in theory, blackball Houdini and Rybka. That in itself would keep me from entering if I did have a program. I consider you a very good friend- you know that- but it doesn't keep me from telling you when I think you are way off base. If I know Robert, just based on the fact that other programmers have to "allow" him to enter- he will tell you thanks but no thanks. And I would not expect any less from him. And would not blame him.

george
Suj

Post by Suj »

Peter,

I like the idea of you trying to reignite the computer chess tourneys after all the issues we have had in the last few years.

I would like to point out the winner of the CCT event gets a free ride into a world championship title match as this was not disclosed before the CCT event.
If this is applies for next year's event then everyone is made aware but right now for this Septembers event I am not sure of its credibility.
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

Isn't this thread kind of old since it was 1 year since it was posted?

I believe Peter has made a new thread since this with updated information.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Indeed, this thread is totally out-dated. The tourney announced in September was September 2012, and was cancelled for lack of participants. It is just that Harvey revived it on an off-topic discussion between him and Peter that took place in it.
Suj

Post by Suj »

Ah just saw the date peter had proposed it. Thanks to Martin and HGM for confirming.
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Suj wrote:Ah just saw the date peter had proposed it. Thanks to Martin and HGM for confirming.
[MODERATION]
People keep getting confused about this thread. We hoped it would peacefully expire, but people keep bumping it. Now there are a bunch of current post added with current dates, which makes things even more confusing. It looks current. The fact is has such a catchy title does not help much either. If anybody wants to pick up a topic buried in a old obsolete thread, it is better to start a new one, with a reference or link to the old.

The lock will help to understand that this thread is OLD, and will force its expiration.

Miguel