Droidfish now allowing changing of UCI options not working

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
MagnersCarlsbergsen

Droidfish now allowing changing of UCI options not working

Post by MagnersCarlsbergsen » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:40 pm

Hi all,

This concerns all Android chess users who have recently updated Droidfish to v1.55.

This update is supposed to allow you to change UCI parameters for all engines, not just Stockfish. There is now a "Set Options" option under "Manage Chess Engines", which displays the configurable UCI options for the selected engine and allows you to enter the values you want.

However, I'm convinced it's not working. I've noticed no difference in play when I change the options.

To confirm my suspicions I set ridiculous values for various chess engines, where there would be a definite huge change in playing style. When you set Material Weight to 1 for Greko in Chess PGN Master, for example, the engine plays like a lunatic, letting all its pieces, including queen, be taken ASAP. But in Droidfish there was no difference. This case was the same when I changed values to various extremes in several other engines, including Rodent and Firenzina, which both are highly configurable.

So my question is has anyone else had this issue, or is it just me?

Thanks.

AdminX

Re: Droidfish now allowing changing of UCI options not worki

Post by AdminX » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:01 pm

This not a problem for Komodo 8, as it's settings can be changed in its global configuration. I have not tried other engine in Droidfish.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

petero2

Post by petero2 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:18 pm

DroidFish assumes that UCI options are case insensitive. After studying the communication log when using greko, I guess this is the problem.

I don't know if this assumption is correct. The UCI specification says:

Code: Select all

The name and value of the option in <id> should not be case sensitive and can inlude spaces.
The UCI specification does not seem to follow common practice regarding the use of the words may/should/must, see for example rfc2119.

The UCI specification also says:

Code: Select all

After that the engine should send "uciok" to acknowledge the uci mode.
I guess the 'uciok' command is not optional and therefore conclude that this specification uses 'should' when other specifications would have used 'must'.

petero2

Post by petero2 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:53 pm

Regardless of the intention of the UCI specification, the pragmatic thing to do is to send UCI option names to the engine using the same capitalization as the engine used when reporting the options to the GUI. Here is a development version of DroidFish that does that:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/896 ... idFish.apk