Aquarium IDEA question.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Leo

Aquarium IDEA question.

Post by Leo » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:13 pm

Does anyone in the club here use this? I thought I might buy Aquarium. Will its analysis create a database and make a chess engine stronger by allowing it to access it during a game? Thanks for any input.
Brainfish fan. AMD fan.

Werewolf

Re: Aquarium IDEA question.

Post by Werewolf » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:25 pm

I use it a lot and have done some introductory videos about it. It's excellent for analysis if you know how to use it.

But it doesn't create a database, rather a tree. I'm not sure I know what you mean about allowing an engine to access it to make it stronger, but that's not really how it works.

Leo

Post by Leo » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:31 pm

Werewolf wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:25 pm
I use it a lot and have done some introductory videos about it. It's excellent for analysis if you know how to use it.

But it doesn't create a database, rather a tree. I'm not sure I know what you mean about allowing an engine to access it to make it stronger, but that's not really how it works.
Thanks. I plan on looking for YouTube videos on it.
Brainfish fan. AMD fan.

mbabigian

Post by mbabigian » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:34 pm

It is virtually undocumented which is why fanboys have created videos. The software is also extremely buggy. If you don't mind supporting such bad behavior with money, go for it. The company will never get anymore of mine.

As a computer programmer myself, calling the software a disgrace, is too kind.

My two cents.

Leo

Post by Leo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:46 pm

mbabigian wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:34 pm
It is virtually undocumented which is why fanboys have created videos. The software is also extremely buggy. If you don't mind supporting such bad behavior with money, go for it. The company will never get anymore of mine.

My two cents.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Good to know.
Brainfish fan. AMD fan.

beatyourchess
Full name: Eric LeClair

Post by beatyourchess » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:44 pm

mbabigian wrote:

My two cents.
LOL You have balls as they say because that is 100% true. At least in my experience. You don't release let alone beta test anything with that much bugs. I sir salute you :)

Ron Langeveld

Post by Ron Langeveld » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:18 pm

mbabigian wrote:

My two cents.
It is true that Aquarium is not very stable yet if you know how to keep track of the risks and make proper backups there is a lot to benefit from the set of functions that is available in the program. It may not have changed or improved a lot over the last few year but in terms of usability it is still "light years" in front of the Chessbase offer that has a higher price tag and hasn't even fixed the basic requirements that have been reported as missing since version 8. We are a few years past that with version 14 now. I rather have a low cost high ambition chess software company that exhibits a bug or two that have established workarounds than a status quo CB program that has lesser bugs but zero progress and utter disregard for simple improvements that have been reported years ago without acknowledgment or fix. <end anti CB-rant>

Ron

mbabigian

Post by mbabigian » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:03 am

One or two bugs? LOL. You sir should run for office! Your skills are being wasted...

Leo

Post by Leo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:06 am

You can get Aquarium for only $35. I think its worth a try. I don't see any other program like it.
Brainfish fan. AMD fan.