7 Man Syzygy and SSD

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
MikeB

Re: 7 Man Syzygy and SSD

Post by MikeB » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:17 am

Nordlandia wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:42 pm
Which of the pawnless tables is good to download ?

The partial syzygy set consists of pawnful tables.

http://tablebase.lichess.ovh/tables/standard/7/
Apparently they do not come up that often , I would start with 4/3 ones that are more or less balanced or perhaps interesting/exotic , KQBNKQR , KQNNKQR, KQBNKQB KRNBKRB etc.

Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:01 am

MikeB wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:17 am
Nordlandia wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:42 pm
Which of the pawnless tables is good to download ?

The partial syzygy set consists of pawnful tables.

http://tablebase.lichess.ovh/tables/standard/7/
Apparently they do not come up that often , I would start with 4/3 ones that are more or less balanced or perhaps interesting/exotic , KQBNKQR , KQNNKQR, KQBNKQB KRNBKRB etc.
Good suggestion as KQBNvKQB is usually a win, so is KRBNvKRN. I had to remove 6-piece nalimov for more space for my new 970 Evo Plus 2tb (used 1 TB out of 1.81 TB so far). First impression is that 7-piece syzygy give more insight and easily solves endgame studies that 6-pieces were insufficient. For the moment i'm downloading WDL because they can be probed during analysis.

Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:48 am

Playing engine games & probing 7-piece syzygy with just barely enough RAM (16 GB in my case) forces windows to terminate cutechess as RAM get filled to 97% very quickly. Windows either terminate cutechess or reboots, anyone with similar experiences ?. I''ll receive 128 GB ram sticks on monday or tuesday.

Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:23 pm

It turns out 128 GB works just fine on my Asus Deluxe II from 2016.

Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:30 pm

I now have about 1.9 TB of WDL on new M.2 SSD and it work great although i want to ask a simple question.

I have the most important tables i believe now although it can never be perfect without them all, as MikeB hinted few posts back.

For analysis WDL is sufficient. Is DTZ worth storing on HDD.

Spliffjiffer

Post by Spliffjiffer » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:16 pm

as far as i know u can easily store the DTZ on a HDD (maybe even USB id believe) !?
if im wrong on this someone will correct me surely.
1,9 TB is a lot, i have only 342 GB of WDL7 which is pretty much sufficient in most cases in terms of verifying a win/draw :-)
Wahrheiten sind Illusionen von denen wir aber vergessen haben dass sie welche sind.

Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:12 pm

For analysis WDL is fine but for engine games DTZ is better to have than not.

Stockfish and LCZero can work with WDL without DTZ, but it might not find the optimal way to win under engine playing conditions. If you are only interested in analyzing positions with tablebases, you don't need the DTZ to tell you if a position is won or loss (since WDL already does that), but having DTZ will guarantee the winning/bestplay sequence if the engine cannot figure it out from probing WDL alone.

Downloading 7-piece tables takes time.