Lichess question

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Dann Corbit, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Post Reply
User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5868
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Lichess question

Post by Rebel » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:43 pm

https://database.lichess.org/

I downloaded several 2019 PGN's. They contain about 30 million games each. When I make a selection on elo=2200+ (both players) the output is below 1%. Makes me wonder, either there are not many strong players or they maintain a non-standard elo rating.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

Vinvin
Posts: 4946
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:40 am
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Re: Lichess question

Post by Vinvin » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:31 pm

Rebel wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:43 pm
https://database.lichess.org/

I downloaded several 2019 PGN's. They contain about 30 million games each. When I make a selection on elo=2200+ (both players) the output is below 1%. Makes me wonder, either there are not many strong players or they maintain a non-standard elo rating.
Ratings are not far from real world.
1% of 30 million games (by month) is 300 000 games (by month). Do you think that's "not many" ?

Damir
Posts: 2481
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:53 pm
Location: Denmark
Full name: Damir Desevac

Re: Lichess question

Post by Damir » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:43 pm

Rebel wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:43 pm
https://database.lichess.org/

I downloaded several 2019 PGN's. They contain about 30 million games each. When I make a selection on elo=2200+ (both players) the output is below 1%. Makes me wonder, either there are not many strong players or they maintain a non-standard elo rating.
Hi Ed,

Are these engine games or human games? Human games I am not interested in... :) :) :o

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5868
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Lichess question

Post by Rebel » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:53 pm

Damir wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:43 pm
Rebel wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:43 pm
https://database.lichess.org/

I downloaded several 2019 PGN's. They contain about 30 million games each. When I make a selection on elo=2200+ (both players) the output is below 1%. Makes me wonder, either there are not many strong players or they maintain a non-standard elo rating.
Hi Ed,

Are these engine games or human games? Human games I am not interested in... :) :) :o
Human games only, will extract comp games later and make them available.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5868
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Lichess question

Post by Rebel » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:54 pm

Vinvin wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:31 pm
Rebel wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:43 pm
https://database.lichess.org/

I downloaded several 2019 PGN's. They contain about 30 million games each. When I make a selection on elo=2200+ (both players) the output is below 1%. Makes me wonder, either there are not many strong players or they maintain a non-standard elo rating.
Ratings are not far from real world.
1% of 30 million games (by month) is 300 000 games (by month). Do you think that's "not many" ?
1% is seldom many :D
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

Nay Lin Tun
Posts: 700
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:34 am

Re: Lichess question

Post by Nay Lin Tun » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:01 pm

I am around 2100 in lichess, that makes top 3.5%.

If you filters 2200+for both players, it can be 1% of games. (mutual filter).
Attachments
29402568_1524647878.0594.png
29402568_1524647878.0594.png (27.99 KiB) Viewed 1141 times

maxdeg
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:17 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Lichess question

Post by maxdeg » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:10 pm

Rebel wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:43 pm
https://database.lichess.org/

I downloaded several 2019 PGN's. They contain about 30 million games each. When I make a selection on elo=2200+ (both players) the output is below 1%. Makes me wonder, either there are not many strong players or they maintain a non-standard elo rating.
Need to be careful with the filtering - after filtering out games that terminated abnormally and with ELO > 2450 I ended up with 30,192 games for the June database .. :D

Post Reply