Fritz 17

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Stonker
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:20 pm
Full name: Michael Woolley

Re: Fritz 17

Post by Stonker » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:36 pm

I would like to know whether it's worth getting Fat Fritz with only a GTX 1660 GPU. I have Ryzen 1700 with 32GB RAM.
Does it just run a little slower or not at at all?

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 33168
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: Fritz 17

Post by Graham Banks » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:45 pm

Stonker wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:36 pm
I would like to know whether it's worth getting Fat Fritz with only a GTX 1660 GPU. I have Ryzen 1700 with 32GB RAM.
Does it just run a little slower or not at at all?
Yes - it will be fine.
Albert says that you can actually use fp16 according to a well-known tester. Not quite as fast as the RTX cards, but 1.7 times faster than plain CUDA.
My email addresses:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gbanksnz at yahoo.co.nz

User avatar
Ozymandias
Posts: 1132
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:30 am

Re: Fritz 17

Post by Ozymandias » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:00 pm

Graham Banks wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:45 pm
Stonker wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:36 pm
I would like to know whether it's worth getting Fat Fritz with only a GTX 1660 GPU. I have Ryzen 1700 with 32GB RAM.
Does it just run a little slower or not at at all?
Yes - it will be fine.
Albert says that you can actually use fp16 according to a well-known tester. Not quite as fast as the RTX cards, but 1.7 times faster than plain CUDA.
That particular optimization was introduced in version v0.21.2 (more than 4 months ago).

Stonker
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:20 pm
Full name: Michael Woolley

Re: Fritz 17

Post by Stonker » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:48 pm

Thx for speedy response, Graham and Ozymandias. Sorry but I have no idea what fp16 is. Not asking for a lengthy explanation; just a quick pointer for if I buy this thing. Cheers....

User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 2749
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: Fritz 17

Post by Ovyron » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:49 pm

Paloma wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:28 pm
We buy FatFritz and everything else is not our problem.
Some people are claiming that only one person needs to buy Fat Fritz and then they can distribute its weights so anybody else can use it without buying it. I don't think I've ever seen a precedent for a case like this, it would be piracy to distribute anything on the disk that they sell, except for that weight file?

jp
Posts: 825
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:54 am

Re: Fritz 17

Post by jp » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:41 am

Stonker wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:48 pm
Thx for speedy response, Graham and Ozymandias. Sorry but I have no idea what fp16 is. Not asking for a lengthy explanation; just a quick pointer for if I buy this thing. Cheers....
But is the NN engine all you care about, not the Fritz17 AB engine? If that's the case, it's not worth buying.

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 33168
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: Fritz 17

Post by Graham Banks » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:22 am

jp wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:41 am
Stonker wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:48 pm
Thx for speedy response, Graham and Ozymandias. Sorry but I have no idea what fp16 is. Not asking for a lengthy explanation; just a quick pointer for if I buy this thing. Cheers....
But is the NN engine all you care about, not the Fritz17 AB engine? If that's the case, it's not worth buying.
Why not?
My email addresses:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gbanksnz at yahoo.co.nz

jp
Posts: 825
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:54 am

Re: Fritz 17

Post by jp » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:36 am

Graham Banks wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:22 am
Why not?
Well, it depends whether all he cares about is the NN engine.
If that's the case, he should just go with Leela.
But if he's interested in Fritz17, etc., that's different.

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 33168
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: Fritz 17

Post by Graham Banks » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:39 am

jp wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:36 am
Graham Banks wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:22 am
Why not?
Well, it depends whether all he cares about is the NN engine.
If that's the case, he should just go with Leela.
But if he's interested in Fritz17, etc., that's different.
I guess it will depend on Fat Fritz results.
My email addresses:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gbanksnz at yahoo.co.nz

jp
Posts: 825
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:54 am

Re: Fritz 17

Post by jp » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:48 am

Graham Banks wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:39 am
I guess it will depend on Fat Fritz results.
When we've looked at analysis of positions on this BB, Fat Fritz has not been any better than a host of NN engines and in one position it's been inferior.

Post Reply