Eman 5.30

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Re: Eman 5.30

Post by Damir »

Your first post in years… and already you have started whinning… Author request is fair enough in my opinion. He is not forcing anyone to join his forum, but he has rules for people who want to obtain his engine, and whether or not, they want to abide by his rules, if not no engine…. simple as that...
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Damir wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:24 pm Your first post in years… and already you have started whinning… Author request is fair enough in my opinion. He is not forcing anyone to join his forum, but he has rules for people who want to obtain his engine, and whether or not, they want to abide by his rules, if not no engine…. simple as that...
Does this so-called author distribute the source of his Stockfish clone? Because if not, then what's the point of following his rules when he doesn't abide by GPL rules?
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

you can read more about Eman engine here: http://eman.zohosites.com/

Eman author has provided his engine free of charge. He is not trying to make any money from it
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

tmokonen wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:53 pm
Damir wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:24 pm Your first post in years… and already you have started whinning… Author request is fair enough in my opinion. He is not forcing anyone to join his forum, but he has rules for people who want to obtain his engine, and whether or not, they want to abide by his rules, if not no engine…. simple as that...
Does this so-called author distribute the source of his Stockfish clone? Because if not, then what's the point of following his rules when he doesn't abide by GPL rules?
I don't believe he is required by the GPL to provide the source code---unless someone to whom he has given the binary requests it.

Please, someone, correct me if this is wrong.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

The fourth section for version 2 of the license and the seventh section of version 3 require that programs distributed as pre-compiled binaries be accompanied by a copy of the source code, a written offer to distribute the source code via the same mechanism as the pre-compiled binary, or the written offer to obtain the source code that the user got when they received the pre-compiled binary under the GPL. The second section of version 2 and the fifth section of version 3 also require giving "all recipients a copy of this License along with the Program". Version 3 of the license allows making the source code available in additional ways in fulfillment of the seventh section. These include downloading source code from an adjacent network server or by peer-to-peer transmission, provided that is how the compiled code was available and there are "clear directions" on where to find the source code.
From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Gener ... ic_License
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
corres

Post by corres »

Dann Corbit wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:27 pm The fourth section for version 2 of the license and the seventh section of version 3 require that programs distributed as pre-compiled binaries be accompanied by a copy of the source code, a written offer to distribute the source code via the same mechanism as the pre-compiled binary, or the written offer to obtain the source code that the user got when they received the pre-compiled binary under the GPL. The second section of version 2 and the fifth section of version 3 also require giving "all recipients a copy of this License along with the Program". Version 3 of the license allows making the source code available in additional ways in fulfillment of the seventh section. These include downloading source code from an adjacent network server or by peer-to-peer transmission, provided that is how the compiled code was available and there are "clear directions" on where to find the source code.
A question:
Eman is running on the private PC, or on the server of Khalid?
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Damir wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:24 pm Your first post in years… and already you have started whining… Author request is fair enough in my opinion. He is not forcing anyone to join his forum, but he has rules for people who want to obtain his engine, and whether or not, they want to abide by his rules, if not no engine…. simple as that...
It's non of your business the frequency of my posting neither my opinion about distributing the above mentioned engine ....

And it's whining not whinning BTW ....

Again I don't like his distribution method and I expressed my opinion regarding the issue ironically without any intention to insult the author ....

If you hold a grudge for me,and it's likely the case as you remember my absence from this great chess forum,go ahead and elaborate the reason as I don't remember having a problem with you ....
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

corres wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:40 pm
Dann Corbit wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:27 pm The fourth section for version 2 of the license and the seventh section of version 3 require that programs distributed as pre-compiled binaries be accompanied by a copy of the source code, a written offer to distribute the source code via the same mechanism as the pre-compiled binary, or the written offer to obtain the source code that the user got when they received the pre-compiled binary under the GPL. The second section of version 2 and the fifth section of version 3 also require giving "all recipients a copy of this License along with the Program". Version 3 of the license allows making the source code available in additional ways in fulfillment of the seventh section. These include downloading source code from an adjacent network server or by peer-to-peer transmission, provided that is how the compiled code was available and there are "clear directions" on where to find the source code.
A question:
That question is irrelevant, because he distributed the binary.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
corres

Post by corres »

Dann Corbit wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:03 am
corres wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:40 pm
A question:
That question is irrelevant, because he distributed the binary.
And then?
I do not like to run a chess engine with uncertain origin on my PC without source code.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

I don't like it either.
I won't tell anyone else what to do.
Someone sent me a link, it contained just a binary.
All of my interest ended there.