Komodo 1.2 update available

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

User avatar
Jim Ablett
Posts: 1327
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:56 am
Location: London, England
Contact:

Komodo 1.2 update available

Post by Jim Ablett » Thu May 20, 2010 12:42 pm

Image
Komodo 1.2 JA (UCI)
by Don Dailey & Larry Kaufman

Windows/Linux 64/32 Intel p.g.o

What's New:
1. Improved king safety and pawn structure
2. Fix to book reading code

About 25 ELO stronger than Komodo 1.0
(or 10 ELO stronger than 1.1)

Download:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5047625/komodo-12-ja.zip
Mirror:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zn2nzjy2nzk

Jim.

User avatar
Don
Posts: 5106
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:27 pm

Re: Komodo 1.2 update available

Post by Don » Thu May 20, 2010 1:01 pm

Jim Ablett wrote:Image
Komodo 1.2 JA (UCI)
by Don Dailey & Larry Kaufman

Windows/Linux 64/32 Intel p.g.o

What's New:
1. Improved king safety and pawn structure
2. Fix to book reading code

About 25 ELO stronger than Komodo 1.0
(or 10 ELO stronger than 1.1)

Download:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5047625/komodo-12-ja.zip
Mirror:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zn2nzjy2nzk

Jim.
Larry and I do not like to make releases so quickly on the heels of a prior release, so I thought I would take a moment to explain why we did it.

First of all, we located a serious bug in the part of the code that reads the book which would hang the program if you were trying to use a polyglot book under the "OwnBook" UCI option.

Since we fixed the bug, the question was whether to have a minor bug-fix release, or to give you our best, which has several improvements since version 1.1 (primarily in King safety and passed pawn handling.) A third option was to do nothing and just announce the workaround which of course is to not use the book except via the GUI.

I did not feel comfortable with the "do nothing" option and what decided the matter was the fact that we are going to be working on another project which will against distract us from Komodo, so it's not likely that we will have another release very soon. I did not want to just sit on the improvements we had already made for an undetermined length of time.

Don

jpqy
Posts: 500
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:31 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Komodo 1.2 update available

Post by jpqy » Thu May 20, 2010 1:20 pm

Thanks for the update..and i have no problem to see every few days a +10Elo gain :) so don't stop doing that...

yanquis1972
Posts: 1546
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:14 pm

Re: Komodo 1.2 update available

Post by yanquis1972 » Thu May 20, 2010 1:29 pm

sad news about the other product...just hope it's for $$ & to support komodo in the long run. :twisted:

User avatar
Sylwy
Posts: 3358
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:19 pm
Location: IASI (Romania) - the historical capital of MOLDOVA

Re: I love Komodo !

Post by Sylwy » Thu May 20, 2010 1:35 pm

Don wrote:
Jim Ablett wrote:Image
Komodo 1.2 JA (UCI)
by Don Dailey & Larry Kaufman

Windows/Linux 64/32 Intel p.g.o

What's New:
1. Improved king safety and pawn structure
2. Fix to book reading code

About 25 ELO stronger than Komodo 1.0
(or 10 ELO stronger than 1.1)

Download:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5047625/komodo-12-ja.zip
Mirror:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zn2nzjy2nzk

Jim.
Larry and I do not like to make releases so quickly on the heels of a prior release, so I thought I would take a moment to explain why we did it.

First of all, we located a serious bug in the part of the code that reads the book which would hang the program if you were trying to use a polyglot book under the "OwnBook" UCI option.

Since we fixed the bug, the question was whether to have a minor bug-fix release, or to give you our best, which has several improvements since version 1.1 (primarily in King safety and passed pawn handling.) A third option was to do nothing and just announce the workaround which of course is to not use the book except via the GUI.

I did not feel comfortable with the "do nothing" option and what decided the matter was the fact that we are going to be working on another project which will against distract us from Komodo, so it's not likely that we will have another release very soon. I did not want to just sit on the improvements we had already made for an undetermined length of time.

Don
Thank you Don ! From Socrates to Komodo- only super chess engines !

regards,
Silvian

User avatar
Sylwy
Posts: 3358
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:19 pm
Location: IASI (Romania) - the historical capital of MOLDOVA

Re: I love Komodo !

Post by Sylwy » Thu May 20, 2010 1:35 pm

Don wrote:
Jim Ablett wrote:Image
Komodo 1.2 JA (UCI)
by Don Dailey & Larry Kaufman

Windows/Linux 64/32 Intel p.g.o

What's New:
1. Improved king safety and pawn structure
2. Fix to book reading code

About 25 ELO stronger than Komodo 1.0
(or 10 ELO stronger than 1.1)

Download:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5047625/komodo-12-ja.zip
Mirror:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zn2nzjy2nzk

Jim.
Larry and I do not like to make releases so quickly on the heels of a prior release, so I thought I would take a moment to explain why we did it.

First of all, we located a serious bug in the part of the code that reads the book which would hang the program if you were trying to use a polyglot book under the "OwnBook" UCI option.

Since we fixed the bug, the question was whether to have a minor bug-fix release, or to give you our best, which has several improvements since version 1.1 (primarily in King safety and passed pawn handling.) A third option was to do nothing and just announce the workaround which of course is to not use the book except via the GUI.

I did not feel comfortable with the "do nothing" option and what decided the matter was the fact that we are going to be working on another project which will against distract us from Komodo, so it's not likely that we will have another release very soon. I did not want to just sit on the improvements we had already made for an undetermined length of time.

Don
Thank you Don ! From Socrates to Komodo- only super chess engines !

Regards,
Silvian

User avatar
beachknight
Posts: 3533
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:33 pm
Location: Antalya, Turkey
Contact:

Re: Komodo 1.2 update available

Post by beachknight » Thu May 20, 2010 1:48 pm

Thank you all for the update.

Best,
hi, merhaba, hallo HT

User avatar
Don
Posts: 5106
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:27 pm

Re: Komodo 1.2 update available

Post by Don » Thu May 20, 2010 1:50 pm

yanquis1972 wrote:sad news about the other product...just hope it's for $$ & to support komodo in the long run. :twisted:
The other product is chess related but help keep my wife and dog fed. However this project could end up benefiting Komodo in the long run.

Don

yanquis1972
Posts: 1546
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:14 pm

Re: Komodo 1.2 update available

Post by yanquis1972 » Thu May 20, 2010 1:54 pm

best of both worlds, then! :D

in the two test positions i've run, the new product is already showing remarkable improvement (see threads below if interested). this is why it's very difficult not to be anxious for more ASAP! thanks much for the great work you & larry are doing.

alpha123
Posts: 660
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:13 am
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: Komodo 1.2 update available

Post by alpha123 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:01 pm

:shock:

Wow Don & Larry, you guys have been busy.....

Best of luck with the "other product" and Komodo MP.

Peter

Post Reply