Stockfish 1.9 JA update available

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, bob, hgm

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Post Reply
NATIONAL12
Posts: 305
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: bristol,uk

Re: Stockfish 1.9 JA update available

Post by NATIONAL12 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:19 am

i know i am being greedy here but any chance of 12 or 16 compile like JA did for 1.7.1 :)

alpha123
Posts: 660
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:13 am
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: Stockfish 1.9 JA update available

Post by alpha123 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:00 am

NATIONAL12 wrote:i know i am being greedy here but any chance of 12 or 16 compile like JA did for 1.7.1 :)
For my Gaviota Tablebases version I upped the max cores to 24, mostly cause of you. :P

As soon as I can manage to compile it on Windows, I'll release it.

Peter

swami
Posts: 6546
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:21 am

Re: Stockfish 1.9 JA update available

Post by swami » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:59 am

Stockfish 1.9:
Single Core

Image


https://sites.google.com/site/strategic ... sts-1---12
1200 Positions
10 seconds per position
Hardware: Q6600, 32 bits, 2 GB RAM, 2.4 GHZ. Arena 2.01 GUI.




  • Huge Improvement in STS 7 -- "Offer of Simplification" (+11)
    Great Improvement in STS 9 -- "Advancement of a/b/c Pawns" (+9)
    Some Improvement in STS 3 -- "Knight Outposts/Centralization/Re-positioning" (+4)


Stockfish 1.8:
Single core

Image

Best wishes,
Swami

mcostalba
Posts: 2684
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:17 pm

Re: Stockfish 1.9 JA update available

Post by mcostalba » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:34 am

Thanks Swami !

Actually we also have some small decreases:

Code: Select all

STS  6 -->  -1
STS  8 -->  -2
STS 10 -->  -3
But I guess difference is just below noise level and means nothing...

swami
Posts: 6546
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:21 am

Re: Stockfish 1.9 JA update available

Post by swami » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:39 am

mcostalba wrote:Thanks Swami !

Actually we also have some small decreases:

Code: Select all

STS  6 -->  -1
STS  8 -->  -2
STS 10 -->  -3
But I guess difference is just below noise level and means nothing...

Yes, the difference of <= 3 in each epd should be ignored unless it comes in several coloumns. In this case, it doesn't so it can therefore be ignored.

My criteria to determine whether the engine has improved in certain area is: atleast +4 in any of the epd's as well as the increase in total scores (out of 1000). :)

The 1.9 plays much better than 1.8 in the games also, I have tested it a bit.

Good luck, and thanks!

Best wishes,
Swami

peter
Posts: 2160
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:38 am
Full name: Peter Martan

Re: Stockfish 1.9 JA update available

Post by peter » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:57 am

swami wrote:[
  • Huge Improvement in STS 7 -- "Offer of Simplification" (+11)
    Great Improvement in STS 9 -- "Advancement of a/b/c Pawns" (+9)
    Some Improvement in STS 3 -- "Knight Outposts/Centralization/Re-positioning" (+4)
Hi Swami!

Thanks for documentation!
Could you please give us an "official" Elo- rating from this too?
:)
Not that I'd consider that of any importance but some folks do and for my personal point of view Elo isn't sacro sanct neither, so different ways of testing may well lead to different ratings.
All we'd need was an ability to see relationships between different strengths and weaknesses of different engines, more than a one and only measurement that changes anyhow with every new development of hard- and software.
P.S. Any news about Philippe Gailhac's tool, Stefan Meyer-Kahlen did contact you or him, didn't he?
:?:
Ceterum censeo...
:oops:
Peter.

swami
Posts: 6546
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:21 am

Re: Stockfish 1.9 JA update available

Post by swami » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:23 am

peter wrote:
swami wrote:[
  • Huge Improvement in STS 7 -- "Offer of Simplification" (+11)
    Great Improvement in STS 9 -- "Advancement of a/b/c Pawns" (+9)
    Some Improvement in STS 3 -- "Knight Outposts/Centralization/Re-positioning" (+4)
Hi Swami!

Thanks for documentation!
Could you please give us an "official" Elo- rating from this too?
:)
Not that I'd consider that of any importance but some folks do and for my personal point of view Elo isn't sacro sanct neither, so different ways of testing may well lead to different ratings.
All we'd need was an ability to see relationships between different strengths and weaknesses of different engines, more than a one and only measurement that changes anyhow with every new development of hard- and software.
P.S. Any news about Philippe Gailhac's tool, Stefan Meyer-Kahlen did contact you or him, didn't he?
:?:
Ceterum censeo...
:oops:

Hi Peter,

I doubt STS Elo estimate 1.1 could calculate the ratings based on STS scores 1 to 12. It was designed to only calculate for STS 1 to 10. With the new version, it certainly will. I'm also interested to know how much elo this translates to.

When I get back home, I will enter the STS 1 to 10 datas into STS Elo estimate 1.1 and see what the change is.

I haven't heard anything lately from Gailhac. I think he must be busy. I didn't receive any messages from Stefan either. Perhaps Gailhac might have received it.

I agree that there are several ways to measure the elo's.

Best regards,
Swami

swami
Posts: 6546
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:21 am

Re: Stockfish 1.9 JA update available

Post by swami » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:41 pm

Hi Peter,

My guess is that it has improved by over 60 Elo. STS Elo Estimate certainly showed more than 60 elo change between STS Total scores of Stockfish 1.8 (3124) and Stockfish 1.9 (3210). It could be anywhere between 40 and 60 elo... It could even be more than 60 though. We could say 40-50 just to be on safe side.

Best regards,
Swami

gerold
Posts: 10121
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: van buren,missouri

Re: Stockfish 1.9 JA update available

Post by gerold » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:32 pm

mcostalba wrote:Thanks Swami !

Actually we also have some small decreases:

Code: Select all

STS  6 -->  -1
STS  8 -->  -2
STS 10 -->  -3
But I guess difference is just below noise level and means nothing...
Thanks again for the new Stockfish. M.C.
After 52 games at 12sec.move. Stockfish 1.9 is 15 elo higher than
Stockfish 1.8. To few games yet. I will test at longer TC now.

Best,
Gerold.

User avatar
Don
Posts: 5106
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:27 pm

Re: Stockfish 1.9 JA update available

Post by Don » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:02 pm

swami wrote:Hi Peter,

My guess is that it has improved by over 60 Elo. STS Elo Estimate certainly showed more than 60 elo change between STS Total scores of Stockfish 1.8 (3124) and Stockfish 1.9 (3210). It could be anywhere between 40 and 60 elo... It could even be more than 60 though. We could say 40-50 just to be on safe side.

Best regards,
Swami
Over 60 ELO puts stockfish above Rybka 4! If this is true, congratulations! Stockfish now is stronger than all the clones.

Post Reply