Fabien's open letter to the community

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

SzG
Posts: 2408
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:20 am
Location: Szentendre, Hungary

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by SzG » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:10 am

Houdini wrote:
SzG wrote:
Houdini wrote: That doesn't alter the observation that CCRL and CEGT have been instrumental in allowing Rybka to ban a number of engines without actually providing any proof or beginning any legal action.
Yes, if we didn't exist, they could not refer to us. Excellent observation.
If you really insist on misreading my previous post, I'll make the point a third time.

The CCRL and CEGT could actually have existed, and not have played a role in Rybka's attempt to ban a number of engines without actually providing any proof or beginning any legal action.

If the CCRL and CEGT members are not aware of this possibility, you've been artfully manipulated...

Robert
If you mean that we should be aware that our lists are used as a false evidence against engines, then I must say I haven't been aware of this up to this point.
As with BB's report, everything can be interpreted in various ways. Depends on your purposes. Up to now I have not assumed dishonest purposes.
Anyway, I never felt I was manipulated. I always did what I wanted and I am going to continue to do so.
Gabor Szots

CCRL testing group

User avatar
Dr.Wael Deeb
Posts: 9635
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Amman,Jordan

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:12 am

I've just been honest with Vasik in the Rybka forum....here's what I've just posted there....

Rajlich....you're the biggest crook ever to influence the computer chess community....
The same goes for your hellhounds that keep barking and leaking your feet all these years....
Dr.D


Of course it won't last long and most probably I'll be banned for life but hey....you can always register there with funny accounts like bannedforlife :wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

SzG
Posts: 2408
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:20 am
Location: Szentendre, Hungary

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by SzG » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:14 am

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote: Gabor,
I'm astonished that you're still trying to defend this crook called Vasik....
The facts are before your eyes,please wake up....
Dr.D
Wael, I'd be the first to suggest removing Rybka from our lists if I was sure it was a clone. But until Robert Hyatt and many other experts are unsure, why should I be sure?
Gabor Szots

CCRL testing group

User avatar
JuLieN
Posts: 2945
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 10:16 am
Location: Nantes (France)
Contact:

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by JuLieN » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:18 am

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:I've just been honest with Vasik in the Rybka forum....here's what I've just posted there....

Rajlich....you're the biggest crook ever to influence the computer chess community....
The same goes for your hellhounds that keep barking and leaking your feet all these years....
Dr.D


Of course it won't last long and most probably I'll be banned for life but hey....you can always register there with funny accounts like bannedforlife :wink:
If I may comment this, i'll just point the fact that leaking is what Julian Assange do, not Rybka's zealots. :)

Also, I'd like to say that I'm starting to feel a bit uncomfortable with what this thread is currently going to : flaming someone and taking pleasure into some people's problems. I share Mr. Hyatt's opinion that this discussion should stay civil. And taking pleasure into someone else's problems is definitely not civil. To say the least.
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
Image [Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]

User avatar
Matthias Gemuh
Posts: 3233
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:10 am
Contact:

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by Matthias Gemuh » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:20 am

hgm wrote:
Alexander Schmidt wrote:VR used Fruit code. Noone who looked at the facts can disagree.
Wrong. Fabien just wrote he disagreed. "Reading" or "re-writing" is not "using" code in the normal meaning of the word.
...
HGM,

it is a pity that you have decided not to understand Fabien's post.
I know you can, if you choose to.

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de

User avatar
Dr.Wael Deeb
Posts: 9635
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Amman,Jordan

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:32 am

JuLieN wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:I've just been honest with Vasik in the Rybka forum....here's what I've just posted there....

Rajlich....you're the biggest crook ever to influence the computer chess community....
The same goes for your hellhounds that keep barking and leaking your feet all these years....
Dr.D


Of course it won't last long and most probably I'll be banned for life but hey....you can always register there with funny accounts like bannedforlife :wink:
If I may comment this, i'll just point the fact that leaking is what Julian Assange do, not Rybka's zealots. :)

Also, I'd like to say that I'm starting to feel a bit uncomfortable with what this thread is currently going to : flaming someone and taking pleasure into some people's problems. I share Mr. Hyatt's opinion that this discussion should stay civil. And taking pleasure into someone else's problems is definitely not civil. To say the least.
How about all these years of decieving and lying to people :!: :?:
And how about attacking and spitting over any program that even tries to come close to Rybka in terms of playing ability :!: :?:

Otherwise,I do respect your point of view :)
Hell gates are finally wide open for Rybka and it's author regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

bhlangonijr
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:23 am
Location: Milky Way
Contact:

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by bhlangonijr » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:32 am

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:The whole Rybka team and their hardcore supporters must be banned from the the honest circle of the computer ches community....
I'm really glad that I was behind the right side of the fence all this time :D
Dr.D
Dr.D, maybe the "hardcore supporters" are just good people that like Rybka as a nice tool, regardless of its dubious origin (the tone of your posts reminds me a show satirizing a terrorist: "Infidels, I kill you!"). :lol: They can change their mind. This is not a messianic mission with sides to stand.
Why not just try to discuss in a civilized manner and with good arguments?

Regards,

rbarreira
Posts: 900
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:48 pm

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by rbarreira » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:32 am

hgm wrote:
mwyoung wrote:The proof is the author of Fruit himself. "Fabien's open letter to the community". And Vas statement that he claimed that Strelka 2.0 is a clone of Rybka 1.0. This linked Fruit code with Rybka code.
Read it again, then. As many times as it needed to register. He says "legally 'there is no issue". Which means no GPL violation, i.e. no copying of code.

Now I understand of course you take Fabien for an idiot, so that you can ignoe what he writes completely, and just want to use the fact that he says anything at all as a good opprtunity to shoot off your mouth aganst those that you dislike.

But I take Fabien kind of seriously. "No copying of code, but a translation of the algorithm".

So 'poof' goes your 'proof'...
Actually Fabien didn't say that.

Here is what he actually said (emphasis mine):
So legally there was no issue that I knew of.
(and he was talking about Strelka here, not Rybka)

User avatar
Dr.Wael Deeb
Posts: 9635
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Amman,Jordan

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:32 am

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
hgm wrote:
Alexander Schmidt wrote:VR used Fruit code. Noone who looked at the facts can disagree.
Wrong. Fabien just wrote he disagreed. "Reading" or "re-writing" is not "using" code in the normal meaning of the word.
...
HGM,

it is a pity that you have decided not to understand Fabien's post.
I know you can, if you choose to.

Matthias.
Aha....agreed here....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

De Vos W
Posts: 431
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:59 am

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by De Vos W » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:37 am

hgm wrote:
Alexander Schmidt wrote:VR used Fruit code. Noone who looked at the facts can disagree.
Wrong. Fabien just wrote he disagreed. "Reading" or "re-writing" is not "using" code in the normal meaning of the word.
Maybe everything is rewritten, but that would still be a GPL violation.
Wrong again. Copyrights do not extend to rewrite.
What I wrote many times is: We cannot say if this was a GPL violation or not as long as Fabien doesn't complain.
OK, so you are not only wrong on all counts now, you were wrong many times before. Nice to let us know. If it is a GPL violation follows from examining the Fruit code and the Rybka binary. Fabien's opinion on this is completely irrelevant. Justice in this world is done by facts, not by opinions of people who are considered important or respected. And legal action can only be taken by the FSF, as they own the copyrights, and Fabien is no longer an interested party.
Now he complained, now we know Rybka is illegal.
Only those that cannot understand what they read 'know' this...
I find your prejudice and intellectual dishonesty extremely irritating, please join the Rybka forum.
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.

Post Reply