Fabien's open letter to the community

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Alexander Schmidt
Posts: 1058
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 12:49 pm

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by Alexander Schmidt » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:25 pm

hgm wrote:
Alexander Schmidt wrote:VR used Fruit code. Noone who looked at the facts can disagree.
Wrong. Fabien just wrote he disagreed. "Reading" or "re-writing" is not "using" code in the normal meaning of the word.
Takeing the code, and changeing it is a GPL violation. Thats what happened. There is no other explenation for similaries in non-chess-playing-related-parts like the UCI communication, error messages, crashes.

User avatar
Dr.Wael Deeb
Posts: 9635
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Amman,Jordan

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:43 pm

bob wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
M ANSARI wrote:Somehow I feel I understand the post differently than others. It seems like Fabien is "asking" about several allegations and wants to be up to date on what the allegations are ... nothing I read says anything about confirming anything..........
This is also how I see it at this stage.
Fabien is asking for further information and will then need time to study what is required before he can make some definitive statements on the issue.
I think it's great that Fabien has chosen to get involved and I sincerely hope that Vas will have his say too (if required).
Vasik will remain silent like a butt as he always do....
The good thing is that the whole chess community will finally recognize him as a fat liar....
Dr.D
I would not be so sure. I am certain that some will now claim that Fabien is "in on the conspiracy" as well... This is an unwinable argument for some.
But Fabien is the original source and he can prove or decline any issue related to the Rybka affair....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

wolfv
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:15 am
Location: Nis, Serbia
Contact:

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by wolfv » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:44 pm

Dear Gabor,

you seem to display an inordinate amount of skepticism regarding the state of affairs now. After "the father" of Fruit and all other suspected clones finally voiced his opinion and it's become finally clear that Rybka 1.0 at least stemmed from Fruit (and went commercial) you still seem not to get the point. And you lament the fact that there have been no complaints for three years, which is wrong: both Hyatt and Christophe Theron went out of their way trying to show that Rybka was a Fruit derivative, with Zach and BB presenting concrete evidence later.

I think that you are a very nice guy and would like you to wake up to the facts, please.

Best regards from the neighborhood.
----------

Djordje

frcha
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by frcha » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:49 pm

Are there instances where GPL violation was successfully persecuted - where the code was not blatantly cut and paste but modified + new ideas injected in?

My take on this is that Vas is clearly dishonest about the origins of his engine - but whether its is legal or not -- its hard to say...

-- This too was the same issue with Ippolit of course - clearly dishonest but not necessarily illegal..
....and the wheel keeps turning...



Which is why I have had no problem testing ippolit , houdini on my machine -- I really don't have a clue whether it is legal or not ..

A rating list can have Rybka H and I with an asterisk next to them
*dubious/disputed origin

User avatar
Guenther
Posts: 2220
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:33 am
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Contact:

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by Guenther » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:56 pm

wolfv wrote:Dear Gabor,

you seem to display an inordinate amount of skepticism regarding the state of affairs now. After "the father" of Fruit and all other suspected clones finally voiced his opinion and it's become finally clear that Rybka 1.0 at least stemmed from Fruit (and went commercial) you still seem not to get the point. And you lament the fact that there have been no complaints for three years, which is wrong: both Hyatt and Christophe Theron went out of their way trying to show that Rybka was a Fruit derivative, with Zach and BB presenting concrete evidence later.

I think that you are a very nice guy and would like you to wake up to the facts, please.

Best regards from the neighborhood.
Fabien 'finally voiced' nothing yet. He just came here to collect informations and to start making up an opinion about Rybka.
No more no less... I am surprised what other people read in Fabiens message.

Guenther

P.S. Welcome back Fabien even it is no real comeback, but a cleanup
of the past.

noctiferus
Posts: 364
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:27 am
Location: Italy

Re: ......Any answer to this Mr Wael??

Post by noctiferus » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:01 pm

About Vas' statement of Fabien's agreement:

May be my memory fails, but was not in Vas' interview by Alan (also known as Banned For Life)?
Unfortunately I'm now unable to find the interview in the forum. Maybe somebody saved it...

wolfv
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:15 am
Location: Nis, Serbia
Contact:

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by wolfv » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi Guenther,

Fabien did voice his interest in the issue and also voiced his opinion that Strelka is definitely a Fruit clone. On the other hand we know that Rajlich said that Strelka is actually Rybka. For me that spells that Fabien did issue a straightforward message. Thus Fabien voiced his opinion, the way I read it.
----------

Djordje

wolfv
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:15 am
Location: Nis, Serbia
Contact:

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by wolfv » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:17 pm

[/quote] I don't understand the fuss. What Fabien _believes_ is of zero and void relevance, isn't it? The Strelka code is pubic. The Fruit code is public. Everyone that can read can _see_ if one is derived from the other, and if that is a copyright violation or not. Or is everyoone here a complete dyslectic, all worshippers of Fabien as the only person in this Universe that knows how to read? :shock:[/quote]

You seem to be dyslexic :-). First you say that the Fruit code is public, which is OK, but then you state that the Strelka code is pubic, which, at least to me, seems to be very loosely true :-) and hilarious. Joking aside, I simply can't believe that you really think that what Fabien believes is of zero relevance. However, coupled with your previous attitudinal problem ('he lies therefore he's not an idiot) --- you have disappointed me in a grand way. I don't really care about your messages anymore and I am definitely not dyslexic. You might as well say 'goodbye morality'. Nice Christian attitude, isn't it?

Ciao.
----------

Djordje

Peter Skinner
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:49 pm
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Contact:

Re: ......Any answer to this Mr Wael??

Post by Peter Skinner » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:19 pm

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
George Tsavdaris wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Xann wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:First thing came to my thoughts after reading the article is a huge lie Vasik was spreading through all these years....that he,Vasik,contacted Fabien regarding the fruit-Rybka affair and Fabien is fine with it and even doesn't care which as I wrote turned out to be a huge lie....
Dr.D
I confirm: no contact with Vasik.
I would like to have a pointer too.

Thanks,

Fabien.
And thanks from my side Fabien....
He didn't thank you for anything you said(in case you misunderstood it).
He just meant it like a "Thanks in advance" way.

And he is thanking you in advance, since he(Fabien) is interested in seeing the original statement of Vasik that you have told us in your previous post that he said in the past, that is:
"First thing came to my thoughts after reading the article is a huge lie Vasik was spreading through all these years....that he,Vasik,contacted Fabien regarding the fruit-Rybka affair and Fabien is fine with it and even doesn't care "

So can you give as a link to his original statement(s) saying that?
•Peter(Skinner) wanted a reference for this.
•Fabien later wanted also a reference about this.
I would like to see it also.

Can you provide it? Simple as that.
And it can be easy to find since you said that he had been spreading it all these years. Constantly i guess, in many public boards.

So? Any reference?
As they say: Link or it didn't happen.
Fabien's intention toward me is none of your business....

Vasik said that several times in the Rybka forum and in one of his infamous interviews....go do the search yourself,I don't work for you....

And one more thing....Fabien didn't ask me to show where Vasik said so,so stop twisting the facts....
I have spent the better part of two days trying to find that quote, and I simply can't.

So if you have a link to it, I would greatly appreciate it. Being that Fabian states that he never knew this whole situation has been happening, it would certainly shed some light on some of my own conclusions to see it in print that Vas said the above statement.

Everyone on here knows I am not a Rybka fan boy.. hell I was one of the first people to publicly state Rybka was a Fruit clone.

So please.. if you have a link to it, I would really appreciate it being sent to me. Even a PM with it is fine. I have searched through 5 years of interviews and can't seem to find it.

Peter
I got kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bible's to the fiction section.

User avatar
JuLieN
Posts: 2945
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 10:16 am
Location: Nantes (France)
Contact:

Re: ......Any answer to this Mr Wael??

Post by JuLieN » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:42 pm

Peter Skinner wrote: So please.. if you have a link to it, I would really appreciate it being sent to me. Even a PM with it is fine. I have searched through 5 years of interviews and can't seem to find it.
Greetings link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-8Bl0ZBlK0
Sorry Peter, I couldn't resist! :oops:

Now, back to the subject : my belief is that Wael got confused and mixed several declarations Vasik made.

-> Vasik said that he took a look at Fruit's code but that was long after he started coding his engine. As a result, the few tricks he borrowed from Fruit are worth, according to him, +20 Elo points.
-> Then during the Ippolit controversy, Vas claimed that it was a clone of Rybka 3 and that not only its authors didn't denied it but even informed him of their progress by private mails.

If you want a pointer, here it is : http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/chess ... ntroversy/
(the whole page is interesting to read, especially Rybka's debuts.)

(BTW, Vasik's statements are his own : I just report them and that doesn't mean that I make or don't make them mine.)
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
Image [Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]

Post Reply