Fabien's open letter to the community

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

SuneF
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:19 am

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by SuneF » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:33 pm

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
I have always said that changing the infrastucture of move generation (e.g. from mailbox to bitboards) and then adapting (or "translating") the remaining source code is just another form of "copy and paste".
The result of the adaption is not a new engine.
As a chess programmer, I know what I'm talking about.

Matthias.
Well YMMV, I can see you and Fabian's point if it is 100% functionally equivalent. I very much doubt it will be 100% equivalent though. Changing the stuctures will mess everything up and in that process you will probably also try and improve on some of the ideas.
But if you think this is "just another form of copy and paste" I'd like to see you "copy" Crafty to a mailbox version. :-)

Regardless of whatever copy right violation issues may be involved here, I still would not call the converted engine a clone or derivative. It would be too different for that.
And yes Matthias I know what I am talking about too, I have tried to convert Frenzee to mailbox - I call it Bandit and it is playing like crap in spite of my best efforts :roll:

K I Hyams
Posts: 3472
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:21 pm

Re: ......Any answer to this Mr Wael??

Post by K I Hyams » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:37 pm

Xann wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:Somebody has posted a back up copy of that thread if you want to go take another look:
http://rybka.atspace.us/clon.htm
http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... l?tid=6772
Thanks!

Back up copy?
Are you suggesting that the 2008 thread cannot be found by search anymore?

Somebody called "duncan" posted the following in this thread (this is an extract):
---
Stelka is not a clone, it's a Fraud. It is a direct Reverse Engineer of Rybka, and I can show you the exact constants, the exact math taken from Rybka, every function call in exactly the same location being passed exactly the same arguments, the same values and the same constants. A *direct* reverse engineering effort. There is no original content in Strelka, it is all a direct rip-off with some chunks of stuff left out.
---

Anyone remembers this or knows who "duncan" is?
The content of his post looks interesting too.

Now why would this precise thread move around a lot in 2011, I have no idea.

Fabien.
My main reason for posting here is to try to draw further attention to the pdf document to which Milos has linked.

You asked about the identity of duncan. I will send you a PM, rather than a suggestion in open forum, in case I am wrong.

De Vos W
Posts: 431
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:59 am

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by De Vos W » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:43 pm

hgm wrote:
Roger Brown wrote:
De Vos W wrote:
I find your prejudice and intellectual dishonesty extremely irritating, please join the Rybka forum.


Hello De Vos,

Other persons may find other things extremely irritating about your presentations but I say that you should stay right here.

:-)

Later.
Actually I consider any dislike / rejection / attack I get from him as the best compliment a person can get, as for me he is the personification of evil, maliciousness and moral corruption on this forum. So anything that upsets or irritates him must be good and noble. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey Spartacus! Keep it cool it is time now! Go peddling some pieces with your infantile "Spartan Chess" I know you must have a hard time finding players for your crap game!
But just throw a little party with yourself... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.

noctiferus
Posts: 364
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:27 am
Location: Italy

Re: ......Any answer to this Mr Wael??

Post by noctiferus » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:49 pm

my fault. Thx, Vytron.

e.

SzG
Posts: 2408
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:20 am
Location: Szentendre, Hungary

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by SzG » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:22 pm

wolfv wrote:Dear Gabor,

you seem to display an inordinate amount of skepticism regarding the state of affairs now. After "the father" of Fruit and all other suspected clones finally voiced his opinion and it's become finally clear that Rybka 1.0 at least stemmed from Fruit (and went commercial) you still seem not to get the point. And you lament the fact that there have been no complaints for three years, which is wrong: both Hyatt and Christophe Theron went out of their way trying to show that Rybka was a Fruit derivative, with Zach and BB presenting concrete evidence later.

I think that you are a very nice guy and would like you to wake up to the facts, please.

Best regards from the neighborhood.
Dear Djordje,

It is nice to meet you again! :D

I do feel scepticism, that's true. There seems to be no way out of this difficult and unpleasant situation. Yes, it is clear that Rybka stems from Fruit, although the only one who really bothered to gather and present concrete evidence was Zach, the others only voicing accusations and jealousy from the background.
What troubles me is that no expert here has ever explicitly claimed that Rybka is illegal. They may be afraid to say so, but until there is consensus among the experts there can't be consensus among the croud.
The only clear opinion here (if I did not lose my way among this 47 pages of mess) was that of HG who said Rybka was a legal derivative of Fruit.
So you can see that I am awake. I am looking forward to the expert decision about these matters originating from Fruit. I don't think I am going to live for this to happen, however.

With friendly regards,
Gábor

User avatar
Matthias Gemuh
Posts: 3233
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:10 am
Contact:

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by Matthias Gemuh » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:34 pm

SuneF wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:
I have always said that changing the infrastucture of move generation (e.g. from mailbox to bitboards) and then adapting (or "translating") the remaining source code is just another form of "copy and paste".
The result of the adaption is not a new engine.
As a chess programmer, I know what I'm talking about.

Matthias.
Well YMMV, I can see you and Fabian's point if it is 100% functionally equivalent. I very much doubt it will be 100% equivalent though. Changing the stuctures will mess everything up and in that process you will probably also try and improve on some of the ideas.
But if you think this is "just another form of copy and paste" I'd like to see you "copy" Crafty to a mailbox version. :-)

Regardless of whatever copy right violation issues may be involved here, I still would not call the converted engine a clone or derivative. It would be too different for that.
And yes Matthias I know what I am talking about too, I have tried to convert Frenzee to mailbox - I call it Bandit and it is playing like crap in spite of my best efforts :roll:
1) Crafty is not what I personally would pick for convertion (size of code).
2) Convertion is so much work that many people would do it only if they want to go commercial.

Convertion has the advantage that you know how strong "your" engine will be, if you don't mess up something.
You mention 100%. Why 100% ? Does 90% not qualify for cloning ?

BTW, when DanChess used substantial amounts of adapted Crafty eval, it was condemned as a clone :twisted: :!:

Regards,
Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de

User avatar
Matthias Gemuh
Posts: 3233
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:10 am
Contact:

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by Matthias Gemuh » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:48 pm

SzG wrote:... until there is consensus among the experts there can't be consensus among the croud.

... I am looking forward to the expert decision about these matters originating from Fruit. I don't think I am going to live for this to happen, however.

Some experts may have special agendas, so don't expect a consensus among the experts.

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de

SzG
Posts: 2408
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:20 am
Location: Szentendre, Hungary

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by SzG » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:01 pm

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
SzG wrote:... until there is consensus among the experts there can't be consensus among the croud.

... I am looking forward to the expert decision about these matters originating from Fruit. I don't think I am going to live for this to happen, however.

Some experts may have special agendas, so don't expect a consensus among the experts.

Matthias.
In my opinion, consensus among non-experts cannot be reached and it would be meaningless anyway. You cannot rely on my opinion in any issue regarding e.g. chemistry.

That's why I see no way out of this mess.
Gabor Szots

CCRL testing group

SuneF
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:19 am

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by SuneF » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:04 pm

Matthias Gemuh wrote: 1) Crafty is not what I personally would pick for convertion (size of code).
Fair enough. But Fruit was no small program to convert either.
Matthias Gemuh wrote: 2) Convertion is so much work that many people would do it only if they want to go commercial.

Convertion has the advantage that you know how strong "your" engine will be, if you don't mess up something.
You mention 100%. Why 100% ? Does 90% not qualify for cloning ?
To be functional equivalent it must be 100% identical in its output. That's was the argument as I understood it from Fabian. Because if it's not copied code and it is not performing the same, then by what metric are you going to identify them as being the same?
Basicly all programs are 90% the same anyway, all using hashing, nullmove, iterated deepening, mobility eval etc...
I worry with you strict definition of things that there are no original engines left, we are all cloning eachother basicly, even Fruit is just a few percent original code by this strict definition.

So I think that makes not much sense. The problem for us, are the ones that take Fruit or Ippolit, change a few eval weights, add another extension and call it their own engine. These are the ones we should look out for.
Matthias Gemuh wrote: BTW, when DanChess used substantial amounts of adapted Crafty eval, it was condemned as a clone :twisted: :!:

Regards,
Matthias.
Right there are various degrees. I don't know about this specific case but in general copying or reusing code is the key thing to avoid.

bob
Posts: 20340
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Birmingham, AL

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by bob » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:18 pm

Xann wrote:
bob wrote:Just for the record, to eliminate this specific argument, when Zach, CT, I and others looked at the fruit/rybka1 question, we did _not_ involve Strelka. Strelka was the thing that exposed the issue, but we directly compared fruit to rybka, so the strelka issue could not be raised again...
What happened then?

Fabien.
We found _lots_ of similarities. Zach created a web page that went into great detail with the analysis. There are some obvious differences between Fruit and Rybka, but there are a _ton_ of similarities. Too many to be pure luck.

Post Reply