Vistual studio community 2017

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Henk
Posts: 5059
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:31 am

Vistual studio community 2017

Post by Henk » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:49 pm

Using visual studio community 2017 now. But it is equal like trusting a bad salesman.

For instance in 2015 version when I made a major change I get say 2000 compile errors. But now it's given me 40 times fifty compile errors. So each time when you think you have fixed the compile errors you get another fifty.
If it had told me in advance the right number of errors I probably would have changed something else.


It already started cheating when installing it. Installation only took a few minutes but when I opened an existing project it let me wait for hours before everything was installed. Also for using new C# features I still have to use NUGET to install the right packages.

Ras
Posts: 924
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Visual studio community 2017

Post by Ras » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:51 pm

Henk wrote:So each time when you think you have fixed the compile errors you get another fifty.
I bet you can configure this, but the new behaviour makes more sense anyway. If your code actually has 2000 compile errors, you are maybe trying to compile a program in one language with a compiler for a different language. ;-)

What's more probable is that there are a handful real errors, and the rest are followup-errors. It doesn't make sense to have that useless followup error spew that will vanish anyway when fixing the few actual errors.

Dann Corbit
Posts: 8535
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Contact:

Re: Vistual studio community 2017

Post by Dann Corbit » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:52 pm

Henk wrote:Using visual studio community 2017 now. But it is equal like trusting a bad salesman.

For instance in 2015 version when I made a major change I get say 2000 compile errors. But now it's given me 40 times fifty compile errors. So each time when you think you have fixed the compile errors you get another fifty.
If it had told me in advance the right number of errors I probably would have changed something else.


It already started cheating when installing it. Installation only took a few minutes but when I opened an existing project it let me wait for hours before everything was installed. Also for using new C# features I still have to use NUGET to install the right packages.
The more errors it shows you, the happier you should be.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.

phhnguyen
Posts: 254
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:58 am
Contact:

Re: Vistual studio community 2017

Post by phhnguyen » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:49 am

You may feel better if you know I usually get the same with Xcode (in Mac world) in which I set using GNU compilers for compiling C++.

Sven
Posts: 3551
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Vistual studio community 2017

Post by Sven » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:29 am

Henk wrote:when I made a major change I get say 2000 compile errors.
Always look at the compiler's *first* error message. People tend to only look at the last message they see (where everything else has already scrolled away) and try to fix that. This may sometimes reduce the number of errors from 2000 to 1999 while fixing the first error has big potential to solve all of them at once.

However, this is not related to any specific compiler. You can easily get 2000+ compile errors with gcc with one simple typo.

Daniel Anulliero
Posts: 620
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:55 pm
Location: Nice

Re: Vistual studio community 2017

Post by Daniel Anulliero » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:53 am

Sven wrote: However, this is not related to any specific compiler. You can easily get 2000+ compile errors with gcc with one simple typo.
Indeed it happen :lol:

Henk
Posts: 5059
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:31 am

Re: Vistual studio community 2017

Post by Henk » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:34 am

After two days of dealing with annoying compile errors I now can start with run time errors.

Only change was moving time control from position to (game) player because that would fit better in data model

Henk
Posts: 5059
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:31 am

Re: Vistual studio community 2017

Post by Henk » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:59 am

Nothing new. If your data model is not right you are in trouble. Twenty years ago I heard if your data model isn't right you have to start all over again.

Few years ago someone told me that database changes should not be a problem. I did not believe him and I still think he is wrong. Maybe small changes in data model are do-able.

Henk
Posts: 5059
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:31 am

Re: Vistual studio community 2017

Post by Henk » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:53 am

Extending a data model is a different story. If extension means you 'only' need to add.

User avatar
stegemma
Posts: 830
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:05 pm
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: Vistual studio community 2017

Post by stegemma » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:39 pm

I had have some problem me too with VS2017 but I have solved all of them, with a few googling. Now I'm satisfied with this IDE, more than with any of the other ones. Recently I've found usefull NetBeans but just for html/php projects. For C++ I think that VS2017 is the best choice.

Good luck with your... two thousands errors! ;)
Author of Drago, Raffaela, Freccia, Satana, Sabrina.
http://www.linformatica.com

Post Reply