Is hyper-threading worse for chess programs?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

shrapnel

Re: Is hyper-threading worse for chess programs?

Post by shrapnel »

geots wrote:
syzygy wrote:
jpqy wrote:With HT Off you can overclock your system higher with a nice speed gain!
Difference with HT ON = +/-10°C
Only because you don't have all threads running anymore...

This is more an argument in favour of setting the number of threads used by an engine equal to the number of physical cores than to disable HT in the BIOS.

Ok, I won't disable it in the bios, IF you can show me an easier way to disable it.

gts
I suppose Ronald means setting the number of threads equal to number of physical cores in Houdini Configuration.
Kinda messy I think... I prefer disabling HT once and for all in the BIOS.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
geots

Post by geots »

shrapnel wrote:
geots wrote:
syzygy wrote:
jpqy wrote:With HT Off you can overclock your system higher with a nice speed gain!
Difference with HT ON = +/-10°C
Only because you don't have all threads running anymore...

This is more an argument in favour of setting the number of threads used by an engine equal to the number of physical cores than to disable HT in the BIOS.

Ok, I won't disable it in the bios, IF you can show me an easier way to disable it.

gts

I suppose Ronald means setting the number of threads equal to number of physical cores in Houdini Configuration.
Kinda messy I think... I prefer disabling HT once and for all in the BIOS.

My last thread was sort of a failed attempt at humor. It is still bios-disabled and I have no plans to change that.

Best,

george
Jhoravi

Post by Jhoravi »

Is there really a need to dissable HT? How about just set it half the total number of logical cores and leave the utilization handling to Windows 7?
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Jhoravi wrote:Is there really a need to dissable HT? How about just set it half the total number of logical cores and leave the utilization handling to Windows 7?
Yes, there is !
If I do what you suggest, by enabling HT my CPU power requirements go through the roof ( to say nothing of the extra heat produced).
I may have put up with this as I have a 1500 W PSU and Corsair Water-cooling...but it plays merry hell with my Overclock, which I will not tolerate, all for no gain in performance !
So, HT stays disabled in BIOS.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Jhoravi

Post by Jhoravi »

What I meant was to turn-ON Hyperthreading but just let Houdini use half of the logical cores because it's the total number of Physical cores. Does that setup affect engine strength or else power requirement?
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Jhoravi wrote:Is there really a need to dissable HT? How about just set it half the total number of logical cores and leave the utilization handling to Windows 7?
There is no need to disable HT (in the BIOS).

Disabling HT turns an i7 into an i5.
Jhoravi

Post by Jhoravi »

I agree. If you have Core-i7, just leave Hyperthreading ON and run chess according to Core-i5 rules.
geots

Post by geots »

I wouldn't trust Windows 7 to babysit my pet rock.
geots

Post by geots »

Jhoravi wrote:I agree. If you have Core-i7, just leave Hyperthreading ON and run chess according to Core-i5 rules.

Are you delusional?

gts
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Jhoravi wrote:What I meant was to turn-ON Hyperthreading but just let Houdini use half of the logical cores because it's the total number of Physical cores. Does that setup affect engine strength or else power requirement?
Yes, I understood perfectly well what you meant.
What you don't seem to get, is that I have heavily overclocked my CPU and turning HT on sends Power Requirements through the roof apart from making my Overclock unstable, all for no benefit.
So, HT stays OFF in BIOS, for me.