Komodo 8 Announcement

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Re: Komodo 8 Announcement

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Larry,

WE SHOULD NOT GAVE CLONES A STAGE.
That is my objection!

And we do it again and again ... I too with such messages here!

CEGT and CCRL don't test clones a long time. What should the testers do if the community await it? But we should have a bit more respect to each of the others programmers with are working hard.

First point in Don's messages here are ... to read it between the lines in so many messages ... that he are working hard that not a clone is on first. I am sure you and Mark do it too.

Today I am sure that Komodo (I believe it) and Stockfish are stronger as Houdini. That situation with Houdini is history, yes and that is the right and good.

I am sure that Don will be happy about it!

A good beta tester send the results by mail and hold secret about it before the release are available! I wish me better informatiion as "how strong is a new Version in Elo only without to have more as Elo produced vs. clone opponents".

Again, I have nothing vs. Komodo and speak in other fora each time in good words about Komodo. I like the Software and the playing style with more tactic now is perfect for me.

But believe me ...
Each situation I am using to say the others again and again the same ... that are clones.

So many programmers with are working hard in the past lost his interset on computerchess. With so many I have mail contacts. Do you know what is the reason for it? I am sure you know it.

Best
Frank
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi Sedat,

but what is to do ...
Blocked now Komodo too?
Normely no interest on it because Komodo was a flagship in the past. But go do a Company with selling clones and announcements in comparing with clones isn't in my interest!

On the other Hand: Junior, Zappa, Hiarcs, Shredder are available from ChessBase too. The Company try to make Profit only, that is OK ... not easy Situation. I can't understand that programmers build a Group for selling.

Bad is if clones are Commercial available.
Bad for the complete community.

And programmers can building a Group ...
We all know that if we are thinking on the bad open letters.

For myself clearer ... Komodo Team supported clones if I read the messages. Can't build an other opinion so far!

Not normely that the Team gave beta Version to People that have the complete Rating list full of clones and to compare results with clone software.

What do you do now?

Perhaps we should blocked such things too?
I have nothing again Komodo but the Publicity is bad and I have no longer interest to Support things around clones!

Give me a hint ...
Your opinion is important for myself!

At the moment the only clear commercial engine is Chiron.

Best
Frank
All I will say to you Frank (and Sedat) is that even the programmers seem to be divided over the Fruit/Rybka issue.
Likewise, there is no clear agreement over the Rybka/Ippolit issue.

From what I understand, both of you were absent from the computer chess scene while all of this stuff was being bashed to death in the forums and elsewhere.
Most of us have moved on.

With all due respect, I don't think that either of you should be coming back trying to tell others what to do, or what/who is right or wrong.
Each person should get their enjoyment out of our hobby through doing what interests them.

Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Graham,

all is right but again ...
You are testing programs from persons created by others.

And you have nothing as to blandish (hope the right word, not sure ... in German "Schönreden").

You can Twist and wriggle as, or no matter how you look at it.

The Gentlemen Agreement made you in self work in your brain.

:-)

I too ...
In the time SWCR1 and 2.
And ... not a secret I buy Houdini 4 too for SWCR 2.
What a Nonsens if you are thinking about it alone ...
Go in a non PC-Room and thinking with a bottle of good and old Scottish Whisky about it.

The result will be ...
I am jerky if I test clones ...
Means I am jerky a long time too ... and to other Topics today to 100% too but this Gentlemen agreement is building with only one reason ...

ONLY ONE REASON
Again ...
ONLY ONE REASON
I GAVE UP

Do you a persons with gave up in your life Graham?
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi Graham,

all is right but again ...
You are testing programs from persons created by others.

And you have nothing as to blandish (hope the right word, not sure ... in German "Schönreden").

You can Twist and wriggle as, or no matter how you look at it.

The Gentlemen Agreement made you in self work in your brain.

I too ...
In the time SWCR1 and 2.
And ... not a secret I buy Houdini 4 too for SWCR 2.
What a Nonsens if you are thinking about it alone ...
Go in a non PC-Room and thinking with a bottle of good and old Scottish Whisky about it.

The result will be ...
I am jerky if I test clones ...
Means I am jerky a long time too ... and to other Topics today to 100% too but this Gentlemen agreement is building with only one reason ...

ONLY ONE REASON
Again ...
ONLY ONE REASON
I GAVE UP

Do you a persons with gave up in your life Graham?
I am perfectly happy with the testing that I do and with the engines that I test.

I am not a programmer, so I now leave clone arguments up to them. Wisest choice I made after being silly enough to get involved previously.

I just enjoy watching chess engines battling each other and running tournaments with them.

Computer chess seems to be far from dead. There are more engines being released today than ever before (most of them outside the top echelon).
It is only dead for those that have lost interest. I can understand why they lost interest, but that's entirely their choice.

Whether we like it or not, open source is there to be studied and for ideas to be taken advantage of.
Never used to worry people too much until the open source that became available was too strong for their liking.

Anyway, we shouldn't be having this discussion in this thread.
Apologies to Larry and Mark.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Frank Quisinsky

Apologies to Larry and Mark.

No reason to apologies to Larry and Mark.
Larry and Mark are strong and have a result in Komodo for us for the comminity.

We need Larry and Mark in the future more as others, because Larry and Mark go in front with such a strong engine. I am sure that Larry and Mark will thinking about my words here.

What you wrote is nice to read but fact is you are testing clones and you gave clones the stage. You are one of the person with gave the Virus to others. We have to kill the host I think and the Topic will be history.

Graham also to your person ...
I have nothing again your person, your work is fantastic but in cases of clones your old opinion are better as the newer you have today. So you gave up!

It's OK ...
I will never gave up!

Best
Frank
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

If you want engines to be 100% original, then I am afraid you will have to scratch off every single engine developed in the last 20 years or more. There is no such thing as 100% original, and the sooner you understand that the better you will be able to enjoy your engines.

In case you did not realize it, this thread is about Komodo 8 and I for one have been following very intensely the gradual progress of this engine since its inception. I think it would do everyone a lot of good and I personally would appreciate it if you could keep your "clone" objections in another thread of your creation rather than hijacking someone else's thread.
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Stockfish $00.00

Komodo $80.00

Analyze that :shock:
Frank Quisinsky

Sorry, Larry is speaking about clones at first ... read the text.
And I send the right answer.

What you wrote in your other sentence I can't understand. I believe that have not to do with Computer chess.

Sorry again!

lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

I just want to add that we are no longer testing against Houdini, only against Stockfish. But the reason for this is not that Houdini started life as a total clone, but simply because Houdini is no longer a strong enough opponent for us!

Larry
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

lkaufman wrote:I just want to add that we are no longer testing against Houdini, only against Stockfish. But the reason for this is not that Houdini started life as a total clone, but simply because Houdini is no longer a strong enough opponent for us!

Larry
Hi Larry,

Thank you for keeping the Komodo program alive and it is certainly thriving. It seems difficult to believe that the once mighty H4 is now relegated to the tier 2 programs, not even strong enough to be tested against :D