Komodo 1339 64-bit 8CPU v Stockfish 221214 64-bit 8CPU Match

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Modern Times

Re: Game 41 - third successive win for SF and lead is now 8-

Post by Modern Times »

fenchel wrote:Ray, do you happen to know of a any test between TB and no-TB engines? E.g., SF dev with no syzygy vs SF dev + 6-man vs SF dev + 5-man?
No, I haven't seen any.
Leto

Re: Game 41 - third successive win for SF and lead is now 8-

Post by Leto »

fenchel wrote:
Modern Times wrote:
fenchel wrote: Exciting stuff, many thanks to you for the commentary, and to Ray for running this.

Comparing this and your previous tournament to TCEC, it seems the main things distinguishing SF and K are (a) 16 core play, (b) endgame play (with/without TB), (c) imbalance eval.

(Of course, small sample blah blah.)
I do find it odd that tablebases were not used in the TCEC final. It is the de-facto world championship, showcasing the two top engines at their very best. Sure leave them out in some of the intermediate rounds to satisfy some people's curiosity, but not the final. Did it affect the result ? Who knows.
Ray, do you happen to know of a any test between TB and no-TB engines? E.g., SF dev with no syzygy vs SF dev + 6-man vs SF dev + 5-man?

By test I mean really anything; e.g., a nice tournament like the one here, or a ELO-precise test of many quick games, or whatever.

For some reason, I can only find anecdotes about this comparison?

(Thanks either way, and sorry if I've missed some basic homework.)
At short time controls I doubt it'd make much of a difference, i've done some experiments at blitz time control and didn't see a difference which makes sense because TB access is slow, but at longer time controls SF with syzygy should outperform SF without syzygy.