Is Rybka engine is lying about node per second ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

User avatar
michiguel
Posts: 6401
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:30 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA

Re: Is Rybka engine is lying about node per second ?

Post by michiguel »

Milos wrote:
michiguel wrote:Which is an extremely good and legitimate reason to provide the speed of a program in Ampere/Coulomb, which is what I would do if I had a commercial engine, so if someone get their noses where they should not put them, they at least would be scared to be electrocuted. ;-)
It is quite possible your _humor_ would sound really funny in some other language. Somehow, in English it doesn't sound funny at all. It looks more like Muppet Gonzo's humor.
Do you have a point related to the thread, besides being a comedy critic?

Miguel
Dann Corbit
Posts: 12615
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Redmond, WA USA

Re: Is Rybka engine is lying about node per second ?

Post by Dann Corbit »

Milos wrote:
michiguel wrote:Which is an extremely good and legitimate reason to provide the speed of a program in Ampere/Coulomb, which is what I would do if I had a commercial engine, so if someone get their noses where they should not put them, they at least would be scared to be electrocuted. ;-)
It is quite possible your _humor_ would sound really funny in some other language. Somehow, in English it doesn't sound funny at all. It looks more like Muppet Gonzo's humor.
Not only is it hilarious, but you are the perfect straight man.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/straight_man

Of course, I also like Gonzo. What could be more funny than being hammered feet first into a railroad tie?
User avatar
slobo
Posts: 2331
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: Is Rybka engine is lying about node per second ?

Post by slobo »

michiguel wrote:
slobo wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
slobo wrote:
michiguel wrote:
bob wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
bnemias wrote:
Milos wrote:And why it is not showing real numbers, that you should ask Vas. Like why its exe is so large, or why it takes 64 more MB of memory and other peculiar things.
I think these issues provide more incentive to decompile than anything else.
What is the value of NPS? It's an irrelevant number, except for scale anyway.

While depth is more interesting, different programs consider depth differently. For instance, Junior does not count single reply moves to depth the way that other programs do.

Finally, if a man fails to trim his hedge, should this be a reason to burgle his house?
I think the issue is similar to a tachometer in a car. Should a manufacturer include a tach that reports bogus RPM? Won't affect speed or economy, correct? So the question is, why report something bogus? Many cars don't have a tach, which is better than having one that reports random numbers.
Actually, American cars give bogus numbers. For instance, my car speedometer keeps giving me the number 65, when it is actually 105 km/h.

Miguel
What was your point here?
That Vas was working in a car factory before he became a professional chess programer?
I believe his point was that the ratios are proportional.

IOW, Suppose that Rybka on 2 GHz machine gives 400 NPS. On 4 GHz we will expect 800 NPS.

Goliath on the same 2 GHz machine may report 4000 NPS. On the 4 GHz machine it would report 8000 NPS.

So what have we learned? Faster machines (or more cores) give higher NPS figures, but each and every chess engine gives different NPS figures anyway.

Here is something interesting:
You look at your computer output and it tells you that you are processing at 8792K NPS. What does this tell you about the quality if the chess answer that it will deliver?

Diep is famous for very low NPS. Will you be devastated if Diep reports 190K NPS but gives the right chess move for an answer?
Well,

it is true what you said, but it was not the point.
Because if this information is not important, why did he chose to show it?
If he did chose to show it, why did he decide to show a false information?

Showing a false information, on purpose, is not an act of benevolence.
How could we believe a guy who show us, all the time, false informations?
What is the credibility he has?
In US everybody tries to deceive me with bogus numbers. For instance, I weight 79 Kg but my balance keeps giving me numbers close to 180. It is an annoying conspiracy but somehow I manage to know when I am losing or gaining weight. Bob is right, there may be some people resisting this Federal conspiracy and they attached the real numbers on car speedometers. They must be working secretly because the number are really small. I was told they are Canadians, but I do not know why. Ah! do not get me started how much they are trying to screw me every time I fill up the gas tank

I think they may be trying to kill people who are no part of this. One day I read that the temperature was 25 and I thought the I could go outside with a T-shirt. I almost froze to death. They good thing is that they are consistent. I adjusted my thermostat with really weird numbers, but we are doing fine...

Miguel
Well, we all know that Vas is not using the Fahrenheit scale to kill us.
He is using it only in order to deceive us; because, it seems, it was the practice in the firm where he used to work some time ago, before he became a frofessional chess programer (a USA car factory ?).
"Well, I´m just a soul whose intentions are good,
Oh Lord, please don´t let me be misunderstood."
Mincho Georgiev
Posts: 454
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:44 pm
Location: Bulgaria

Re: Is Rybka engine is lying about node per second ?

Post by Mincho Georgiev »

I have an idea.
Maybe the executable is so large and slow, because V.R. releasing by a mistake the debug version of his code. Now, can you all, imagine
what the release version is capable of :lol:
alpha123
Posts: 660
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:13 am
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: Is Rybka engine is lying about node per second ?

Post by alpha123 »

Rybka does not "lie" about its NPS. It just reports it differently than other engines, and is meant to be used as a benchmark sort of thing. And Vas likes the smaller numbers. :)

The ply is messed up though.

alpha123
Edsel Apostol
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:53 am
Full name: Edsel Apostol

Re: Is Rybka engine is lying about node per second ?

Post by Edsel Apostol »

alpha123 wrote:Rybka does not "lie" about its NPS. It just reports it differently than other engines, and is meant to be used as a benchmark sort of thing. And Vas likes the smaller numbers. :)

The ply is messed up though.

alpha123
It shouldn't be called NPS then as it doesn't count the exact nodes based on conventional definition of a node. It should be called RSNCPS (Rybka Special Node Count Per Second). :)