Genius is free chess engine with free source

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jim Walker

Re: Genius is free chess engine with free source

Post by Jim Walker »

Christophe you should read the article about MIcrosoft vs Lindows. Microsoft initiated the suit and then paid the Lindows people $24 Million.
Spock

Post by Spock »

Jim Walker wrote:Christophe you should read the article about MIcrosoft vs Lindows. Microsoft initiated the suit and then paid the Lindows people $24 Million.
Yes, a certain irony in that. That's how Microsoft operate though - so many billions in their bank account they just buy their way out of everything. Or use politics. Hopefully the EU won't fold under political pressure as the US Department of Justice did
Dirt

Re: Question....

Post by Dirt »

George Tsavdaris wrote:...
And what happens if i write several,for example 20, very similar(because of limited time) engines under GPL for example and name them with common names? None will be able to use any of these names in its engine?

In my eyes "The Genius" is different to the name "Chess Genius". Did Lang copyrighted/patented the word "Genius" not to be used in a Chess or other program?
This is a trademark issue. Trademarks are not automatic like copyright: You have to register a trademark. Trademarks lapse if they are not used, in part to reduce the problems you mention.
tiger

Post by tiger »

Jim Walker wrote:Christophe you should read the article about MIcrosoft vs Lindows. Microsoft initiated the suit and then paid the Lindows people $24 Million.

I have followed this case day by day.

"Lindows" was not "Windows". So they were not even using the same word, just a word they had made up and which sounded close.

I had hoped that Lindows would win, but apparently even with a different word there was some probability that they would lose, so both ended up negociating instead of dragging the issue to court until a final decision. $24M was peanuts for Microsoft and a lot of money for Lindows, so everybody was happy.

But this is a different case, because they were using a different word.

"The Genius" would lose against "Chess Genius" in court. It does not matter if the author of "The Genius" makes money from it or not. As soon as he uses this name publicly, he is infringing on a well known trademark.

// Christophe
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

tiger wrote:

I have followed this case day by day.

"Lindows" was not "Windows". So they were not even using the same word, just a word they had made up and which sounded close.

I had hoped that Lindows would win, but apparently even with a different word there was some probability that they would lose, so both ended up negociating instead of dragging the issue to court until a final decision. $24M was peanuts for Microsoft and a lot of money for Lindows, so everybody was happy.

But this is a different case, because they were using a different word.

"The Genius" would lose against "Chess Genius" in court. It does not matter if the author of "The Genius" makes money from it or not. As soon as he uses this name publicly, he is infringing on a well known trademark.

// Christophe
Has Richard Lang been informed?

Terry