diep's inferior evaluation

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ed

Re: Blass's inferior posting

Post by ed »

André van Ark wrote: The question rises: What is the reason off Blass's inferior posting :?:
Hi André,

A good answer would be Vincent's never ending boasting. :wink:

Let's face it, the bishop belongs on c2, Bd3 is just a bad move.

Are you in Amsterdam this week? I am planning a visit on Friday.

Ed
tiger

Re: Diep inferior evaluation

Post by tiger »

André van Ark wrote:
Uri Blass wrote: I think that vincent is arrogant when he claims that his program has the best evaluation and I do not like this behaviour and this is the reason for my post.
I think it is arrogant to judge an engine what you don't own and never will own

Best wishes,
André

Arrogance is what comes to mind when I think about Diep and its author, yes.

// Christophe
Andre van Ark

Post by Andre van Ark »

Hi Ed,

Well, to be honest and I won't say either that Vincent is the most modest programmer off planeth earth :P But I still, I do not like Uris' posting.

Yes, I am planning to go to Amsterdam on friday and saterday hope we can shake hands then.

Cheers,
André

Btw. Pro Deo 1.5 MP does not sound bad at all :wink: :wink:
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

Imagine a casual internet-surfer browsing this thread.

What kind of impression do you think he will have after reading it?
Daniel Mehrmann
Full name: Daniel Mehrmann

Post by Daniel Mehrmann »

Uri Blass wrote: I think that vincent is arrogant when he claims that his program has the best evaluation and I do not like this behaviour and this is the reason for my post.
Well, of course, Vincent is sometimes a difficult type of human. I had my problems with him too, in direction your claiming as well.

But at all he is a friendly men and helped me a lot.

I don't like your public claiming that he is arrogant, because you're the same type in different ways.

I just remember your posting about the checkers stuff. You claimed if you would learn the rules of a 8x8 checker game, the world best players couldn't beat you with 100% score and you wrote that you have better things todo instead this stuff.

This is what i call very arrogant too and no point better then that what Vincent wrote. Also i remeber what you wrote about my evaluation. There are many more points i could be listed.

Best,
Daniel
Tony

Post by Tony »

ed wrote:
André van Ark wrote: The question rises: What is the reason off Blass's inferior posting :?:
Hi André,

A good answer would be Vincent's never ending boasting. :wink:

Let's face it, the bishop belongs on c2, Bd3 is just a bad move.

Are you in Amsterdam this week? I am planning a visit on Friday.

Ed
Hi Ed,

I think something is broken in Diep eval (IF the comment is correct). Bd3 should be bad on low searchdepth.

The reason I doubt the comment is correct is because I can't believe Diep wouldn't reach 10 ply here. XiniX finishes 10 ply within 10 secs here (slow machine) and sees Bd3 is bad, g4 is good.

Tony
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

André van Ark wrote:Hi,

As a result of this, in crucial (tactical) positions Diep reached only 9 ~ 10 ply. So it was not able to reach a sufficiently deep level of search in the tree and lost because it did not see "a tacticall joke".

The question rises: What is the reason off Blass's inferior posting :?:
To show that Diep's evaluation in this position is inferior. This is clear! :D

[Event "WCCC 2004"]
[Site "Bar-Ilan University, Ramat-Gan"]
[Date "2004.??.??"]
[Round "6"]
[White "Movei"] :idea:
[Black "Diep"] :idea:
[Result "0-1"] :idea:
[ECO "B96"]
[PlyCount "72"]
[EventDate "2004.??.??"]
What this game has to do with the topic?
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

Daniel Mehrmann wrote:
André van Ark wrote:
The question rises: What is the reason off Blass's inferior posting :?:
Comparing DIEP with Toga/Fruit is just a joke. These are completely different engines. Toga/Fruit lives from his search and well tuned tiny evaluation.
DIEP lives from his very big chess knowledge which is not tuned.
And yet Toga finds this move in 1 second with its tiny evaluation, while Diep with its super knowledge fails to do it in much more time....
Does this say nothing to you about this position and Diep's evaluation about this position?
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Daniel Mehrmann wrote:
Well, of course, Vincent is sometimes a difficult type of human. I had my problems with him too, in direction your claiming as well.

I don't like your public claiming that he is arrogant, because you're the same type in different ways.

I just remember your posting about the checkers stuff. You claimed if you would learn the rules of a 8x8 checker game, the world best players couldn't beat you with 100% score and you wrote that you have better things todo instead this stuff.

This is what i call very arrogant too and no point better then that what Vincent wrote. Also i remeber what you wrote about my evaluation. There are many more points i could be listed.

Best,
Daniel
This is not exactly what I said.

You probably mean to the following subject.
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... =&start=10

I simply responded to a claim of another poster who claimed that I am going to lose every game against the best players and I said that I am not sure about it that is different than saying that I am sure that I can avoid losing.

My words were:

"Not sure about it.
If I will learn checkers maybe things can be different but I have other things to do."

Uri
Daniel Mehrmann
Full name: Daniel Mehrmann

Post by Daniel Mehrmann »

Uri Blass wrote:
Daniel Mehrmann wrote:

Best,
Daniel
This is not exactly what I said.

You probably mean to the following subject.
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... =&start=10

I simply responded to a claim of another poster who claimed that I am going to lose every game against the best players and I said that I am not sure about it that is different than saying that I am sure that I can avoid losing.

My words were:

"Not sure about it.
If I will learn checkers maybe things can be different but I have other things to do."

Uri

Well Uri, you're writing always "maybe" and "Not sure about it" in serval variants. So, these kind of words losing her meaning in your case.

And also if i would start to evaluate your "maybe" and "not sure about it", it's still arrogant because you where thinking about it could be possible.

You should think a little bit deeper. What do you think will be the professional checker player (world best players) think about your statement ??

Best,
Daniel