I need a name for a chess gui application

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dirt

Re: I need a name for a chess gui application

Post by Dirt »

Bill Rogers wrote:Being that it runs almost everything why not call it "Wizzard"
Or just Rincewind.
F. Bluemers

Post by F. Bluemers »

Dirt wrote:
Bill Rogers wrote:Being that it runs almost everything why not call it "Wizzard"
Or just Rincewind.
I really like "wizzard",maybe Dann could come up with something better,but it will be hard to spread a gui whose name only consist of a '.'.
Sorry,but for some reason 'Rincewind' makes me think of a farting deer
Must be because its just a bit dutch and english at the same time
I have to confess that it would still beat my suggestion :oops:

Best
Fonzy
fern

Post by fern »

well, a like "VISION".

Vision says all.
Hope you like it...

Fern
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

fern wrote:well, a like "VISION".

Vision says all.
Hope you like it...

Fern
Beautiful Fern,but IIRC,there is a chess GUI called Chess Vision....
Actualy,here it is:

http://www.chesstechno.com/vision.htm

Iron memory regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
fern

Post by fern »

Damn, doc, you xannot these days to think in loud voice if the window is open....

Going to shut it regards
Fern
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

fern wrote:Damn, doc, you xannot these days to think in loud voice if the window is open....

Going to shut it regards
Fern
:P
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Denis P. Mendoza

Post by Denis P. Mendoza »

ilari wrote:The title says it all. Try to come up with a good name for a gui, and your creativity will be rewarded with high praise, written credit, and hopefully an awesome free chess gui.

I already mentioned on the Winboard forum that I've put Sloppy's development on a low priority because I'm now working on a free (GPL) cross-platform gui with a friend. It runs on Linux, Windows and Mac OSX, supports Xboard and UCI protocols, Polyglot opening books, Standard chess, Chess 960, and Capablanca variants (including Gothic Chess). The first version isn't going to be packed full of features, but the sane architecture design makes feature expansion relatively straightforward. Experience has taught me not to make any predictions of a release date, but we do already have a lot of very important stuff done. If someone's interested, I can show what we've done so far, what's to be done next, and what kind of development process we use.

Thanks, and a happy new year to everyone.
Ilari,

I was waitng for this release at : http://sourceforge.net/projects/sloppygui/

SloppyGUI isn't bad, but it's nice that you gave this community the chance to assist in setting the name.

I'll add mine:
UCBoard (pronounced 'you-see-board') - Universal Chess Board

Good Luck pal.

Denis
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

F. Bluemers wrote:
Dirt wrote:
Or just Rincewind.
I really like "wizzard",maybe Dann could come up with something better,but it will be hard to spread a gui whose name only consist of a '.'.
Sorry,but for some reason 'Rincewind' makes me think of a farting deer
Must be because its just a bit dutch and english at the same time
I have to confess that it would still beat my suggestion :oops:

Best
Fonzy
It's just that Rincewind is the only wizzard I'd ever heard of before today, when I found out it's also a singing group. As Rincewind is a bumbling fool, and is a well know literary character, I don't think it's a good association for a GUI. What do you think of Wizard, instead?
ilari

Post by ilari »

Denis P. Mendoza wrote:Ilari,

I was waitng for this release at : http://sourceforge.net/projects/sloppygui/

SloppyGUI isn't bad, but it's nice that you gave this community the chance to assist in setting the name.
Oh, that's just an ancient development version, we've had a lot of progress since then. We decided a long time ago that Sourceforge didn't serve our needs, so we switched to repo.or.cz: http://repo.or.cz/w/sloppygui.git
I should probably remove the project from Sourceforge...

As for the name, SloppyGUI was chosen because at first this was supposed to be just a gui for Sloppy. Now it has nothing to do with Sloppy, so we need a new name.
ilari

Post by ilari »

mcostalba wrote: What GUI library do you use? GTK, Qt, wxWidgets, something else?

Just a curiosity.

Thanks
Marco
C++ and Qt 4.4. We also use Doxygen for API documentation, and Git for version control.