I need a name for a chess gui application

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ilari

Re: I need a name for a chess gui application

Post by ilari »

Dann Corbit wrote:Before naming it, I think it would be helpful to know exactly what it does.

Does it have database functionality?
Does it play games over the internet?
Does it organize contests?
Does it analyze your games for you?

I am fond of naming things after their function.
It doesn't do any of those things yet, but I've got FICS support, full support for WB and UCI (including analyzing), tournaments, etc. on my TODO list. I don't know about database functionality. The first release isn't going to be feature-complete. Features are given a priority based on relevance and difficulty of implementation.
ilari

Post by ilari »

Ómar wrote:Hi Ilari.

And why not CB protokol also, and if you can, we can call it ALL GUI
Does the Chessbase (I assume that's what CB stands for) protocol have open specification somewhere on the Net? If it has enough similarity with WB and UCI I could consider it.
ilari

Post by ilari »

I was asked to post screenshots in a PM, so here goes.

Very simple stuff, as it should be at this stage of development.
Arturo Ochoa

Post by Arturo Ochoa »

ilari wrote:The title says it all. Try to come up with a good name for a gui, and your creativity will be rewarded with high praise, written credit, and hopefully an awesome free chess gui.

I already mentioned on the Winboard forum that I've put Sloppy's development on a low priority because I'm now working on a free (GPL) cross-platform gui with a friend. It runs on Linux, Windows and Mac OSX, supports Xboard and UCI protocols, Polyglot opening books, Standard chess, Chess 960, and Capablanca variants (including Gothic Chess). The first version isn't going to be packed full of features, but the sane architecture design makes feature expansion relatively straightforward. Experience has taught me not to make any predictions of a release date, but we do already have a lot of very important stuff done. If someone's interested, I can show what we've done so far, what's to be done next, and what kind of development process we use.

Thanks, and a happy new year to everyone.
:idea: OZWizzard or Chess-OZ, like the story: all the ways lead to OZ as your cross-plaform Gui leads to play all kind of chess.

:arrow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard_(Oz)

A8A.
Arturo Ochoa

Post by Arturo Ochoa »

Arturo Ochoa wrote:
ilari wrote:The title says it all. Try to come up with a good name for a gui, and your creativity will be rewarded with high praise, written credit, and hopefully an awesome free chess gui.

I already mentioned on the Winboard forum that I've put Sloppy's development on a low priority because I'm now working on a free (GPL) cross-platform gui with a friend. It runs on Linux, Windows and Mac OSX, supports Xboard and UCI protocols, Polyglot opening books, Standard chess, Chess 960, and Capablanca variants (including Gothic Chess). The first version isn't going to be packed full of features, but the sane architecture design makes feature expansion relatively straightforward. Experience has taught me not to make any predictions of a release date, but we do already have a lot of very important stuff done. If someone's interested, I can show what we've done so far, what's to be done next, and what kind of development process we use.

:idea: OZWizzard or Chess-OZ, like the story: all the ways lead to OZ as your cross-plaform Gui leads to play all kind of chess.

A8A.
:idea: Maybe, simply, Warlock ...
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Arturo Ochoa wrote:

A8A.
OZ is short for Aussie (Australia).
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

I think Steven Edwards was onto something in the thread now directly below this one and he deserves any credit for the idea; why not a name like Tafl, because the main function of a user interface for chess programs is to give a board to the chess engines running inside, and also because it is programmed by a Scandinavian?

Skáktafl might be another choice if you want to refer more closely to chess and avoid possible confusion with some of the older variants of tafl-games. But because the GUI also supports Capablanca chess, Chess960, I think Tafl would be justified as a name. Tafel still means "table" in Dutch and in German has similar meanings. These (chess-)boards, or tables, including these old board games, are probably some of the earliest representations of matrices, or mathematical tables, in human history.

If it is going to be open source, there is also an association possible with the acronym tanstaafl frequently coined by Robert Heinlein characters, first in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, meaning There ain't no such thing as a free lunch :), I quote the Wikipedia article on the acronym;
TANSTAAFL is an acronym for the adage "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch" originating in the 1940s and later popularized by science fiction writer Robert A. Heinlein in his 1966 novel The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress,[1][2] which discusses the problems caused by not considering the eventual outcome of an unbalanced economy. This phrase and book are popular with libertarians and is often seen in economics textbooks. In order to avoid a double negative, the acronym "TINSTAAFL" is sometimes used instead, meaning "There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch".
Being open source does not mean it is "free" in the sense that you still have to follow the GNU public license that comes with the program, so I think there is some food for thought there and in Heinlein's book.

Regards, Eelco
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
Michel

Post by Michel »

C++ and Qt 4.4. We also use Doxygen for API documentation, and Git for version control.
Great! That seems to be the way to go.

Success!

Michel
F. Bluemers

Post by F. Bluemers »

Dirt wrote:
F. Bluemers wrote:
Dirt wrote:
Bill Rogers wrote:Being that it runs almost everything why not call it "Wizzard"
Or just Rincewind.
I really like "wizzard",maybe Dann could come up with something better,but it will be hard to spread a gui whose name only consist of a '.'.
Sorry,but for some reason 'Rincewind' makes me think of a farting deer
Must be because its just a bit dutch and english at the same time
I have to confess that it would still beat my suggestion :oops:

Best
Fonzy
It's just that Rincewind is the only wizzard I'd ever heard of before today, when I found out it's also a singing group. As Rincewind is a bumbling fool, and is a well know literary character, I don't think it's a good association for a GUI. What do you think of Wizard, instead?
I think its 8-)
Best
Fonzy
Ómar

Post by Ómar »

ilari wrote:
Ómar wrote:Hi Ilari.

And why not CB protokol also, and if you can, we can call it ALL GUI
Does the Chessbase (I assume that's what CB stands for) protocol have open specification somewhere on the Net? If it has enough similarity with WB and UCI I could consider it.
I guess that their GUI protocol is copyrighted so one has to have their´s
permission to use it.
I don´t think that should be much of a problem.