Do I really need Naum 4?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

tomgdrums

Do I really need Naum 4?

Post by tomgdrums »

Does Naum 4 give different analysis then Rybka 3 or Shredder 12? Is it worth getting at this point?

Thanks!
M ANSARI

Re: Do I really need Naum 4?

Post by M ANSARI »

It plays a little differently and has different material balance evaluation on some critical positions. Most notable difference I noticed is that it evaluates a bishop pair much higher than Rybka 3 and thus gets a lof of nice wins due to that. It is overall quite a bit weaker than R3 though, but it gets some good hits.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Hello Tom, I thought you were one of the Clint Eastwoods or the Ronald Reagans who have joined us and I get a bit suspicious whether those are actually their real names. Especially Ronald Reagan, but maybe there are a lot of those in the US. And why not. Clint Eastwood would also be a great candidate for the moderator elections here. But I recognize now your nickname from the Rybka Forum, the drums teacher! Welcome to CCC and my apologies to your president!

Eelco
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

I would also want to get information about potential diffs on diff hardwares. Otherwise these "overall" this or that dont make much sense. Apparently Naum isnt interesting, Rybka 3 simply is the best.
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Rolf wrote:I would also want to get information about potential diffs on diff hardwares. Otherwise these "overall" this or that dont make much sense. Apparently Naum isnt interesting, Rybka 3 simply is the best.
No it's not since a while now Rolf....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Rolf wrote:I would also want to get information about potential diffs on diff hardwares. Otherwise these "overall" this or that dont make much sense. Apparently Naum isnt interesting, Rybka 3 simply is the best.
Dr.D
Who is better?
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Rolf wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Dr.D
Who is better?
My grandma but you already know that....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

M ANSARI wrote:It plays a little differently and has different material balance evaluation on some critical positions. Most notable difference I noticed is that it evaluates a bishop pair much higher than Rybka 3 and thus gets a lof of nice wins due to that. It is overall quite a bit weaker than R3 though, but it gets some good hits.
Thanks for the help! I may get it after all. I really enjoy checking out the different options the engines can come up with.
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Eelco de Groot wrote:Hello Tom, I thought you were one of the Clint Eastwoods or the Ronald Reagans who have joined us and I get a bit suspicious whether those are actually their real names. Especially Ronald Reagan, but maybe there are a lot of those in the US. And why not. Clint Eastwood would also be a great candidate for the moderator elections here. But I recognize now your nickname from the Rybka Forum, the drums teacher! Welcome to CCC and my apologies to your president!

Eelco
Thanks for the welcome!! It is fun to be here. Incidentally why did my name make you think of Clint Eastwood?
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Why do you say that Naum isn't interesting?