I found what I had lost....my observations, and Chuck Norris

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Robert Flesher

I found what I had lost....my observations, and Chuck Norris

Post by Robert Flesher »

Many months ago after moving to my new house on the lake I lost my beloved Deep Junior 7.0, I was deeply disturbed. :evil: Well of course I had purchased the other versions after that , but they never had the amazing attacking style of DJ 7.0. Rebel 12 was keeping my amused, but then along comes Deep Junior 2010. Intense!

I could care less for the top engine bullshit, blah, blah, blah. Some people say they want the best analysis, this I can understand. However, I will also say that unless you are an IM or GM, many miss or don't see the truth of the position. They see the winning move in that position (with the engines help), but often lack the comprehension to apply that to their own games. Why the game was won is often a difficult task to see until you weed through all the complications/variations.

I like attacking chess. Junior in my opinion directs all its focus at this this better than any other engine, and because of this perhaps it loses some rating points. So be it, at least it does down fighting.

Here are my observations about Junior 2010 :

1) Understanding of space, and passed pawns as attackers is second to none.
2) It can open lines and get an attack in the most closed , safe looking positions. (most times in a brilliant tactical sequence)
3) It plays the bishop pair extreme well.
4) King side attack, duh......amazing
5) Initiative, again in this area I believe Junior has no equal. This is very clear when a king hunt happens. Junior is relentless! Also, Junior with a queen on the board is far more dangerous.
6) Junior always sems to find a way to complicate the position.
7) My favourite engine, no contest.
8) Chuck Norris fears Deep Junior 2010
Last edited by Robert Flesher on Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graham Banks

Re: I found what I had lost....my observations, and Chuck No

Post by Graham Banks »

Robert Flesher wrote: 8) Chuck Norris fears Deep Junior 2010
He probably fears a lot of things these days. He's not getting any younger. :wink:
Junior has always been a nice engine to have. Thanks for the rundown.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Robert Flesher wrote:Many months ago after moving to my new house on the lake I lost my beloved Deep Junior 7.0, I was deeply disturbed. :evil: Well of course I had purchased the other versions after that , but they never had the amazing attacking style of DJ 7.0. Rebel 12 was keeping my amused, but then along comes Deep Junior 2010. Intense!

I could care less for the top engine bullshit, blah, blah, blah. Some people say they want the best analysis, this I can understand. However, I will also say that unless you are an IM or GM, many miss or don't see the truth of the position. They see the winning move in that position (with the engines help), but often lack the comprehension to apply that to their own games. Why the game was won is often a difficult task to see until you weed through all the complications/variations.

I like attacking chess. Junior in my opinion directs all its focus at this this better than any other engine, and because of this perhaps it loses some rating points. So be it, at least it does down fighting.

Here are my observations about Junior 2010 :

1) Understanding of space, and passed pawns as attackers is second to none.
2) It can open lines and get an attack in the most closed , safe looking positions. (most times in a brilliant tactical sequence)
3) It plays the bishop pair extreme well.
4) King side attack, duh......amazing
5) Initiative, again in this area I believe Junior has no equal. This is very clear when a king hunt happens. Junior is relentless! Also, Junior with a queen on the board is far more dangerous.
6) Junior always sems to find a way to complicate the position.
7) My favourite engine, no contest.
8) Chuck Norris fears Deep Junior 2010

Without a doubt Junior 2010 is my favorite engine to play against, especially in it's own Bobby Junior GUI.

The personality levels are fun and instructive. I have learned more about playing against the Sicilian as White by playing against Junior 2010 then from any analysis any other engine has put out.

I am not knocking the other engines I just love playing against Junior 2010 and it is fun for analysis as well, just to see what it comes up with!
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Graham Banks wrote:
He probably fears a lot of things these days. He's not getting any younger. :wink:

Cheers,
Graham.
Graham,

Have they been testing Junior 2010 at CCRL? I haven't seen it listed anywhere yet. Does there have to be a certain amount of games for it to be listed?

Thanks,
Tom
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

tomgdrums wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

Cheers,
Graham.
Graham,

Have they been testing Junior 2010 at CCRL? I haven't seen it listed anywhere yet. Does there have to be a certain amount of games for it to be listed?

Thanks,
Tom
When I spoke to Amir, he said it would be best for us to wait because there would likely be an engine upgrade coming shortly.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Graham Banks wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

Cheers,
Graham.
Graham,

Thanks,
Tom
When I spoke to Amir, he said it would be best for us to wait because there would likely be an engine upgrade coming shortly.

Cheers,
Graham.
Do you know if that engine upgrade will be made available to those of us (like me) who purchased Bobby Junior from WCL? That is what they are doing with the GUI they update it until it is complete. Thanks again for the help.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

tomgdrums wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
tomgdrums wrote: Have they been testing Junior 2010 at CCRL? I haven't seen it listed anywhere yet. Does there have to be a certain amount of games for it to be listed?

Thanks,
Tom

Cheers,
Graham.
Do you know if that engine upgrade will be made available to those of us (like me) who purchased Bobby Junior from WCL? That is what they are doing with the GUI they update it until it is complete. Thanks again for the help.
I'd imagine so. Can't see why it wouldn't be. Might just be further GUI updates rather than an engine update, but he did say it would be best for us to wait.
gbanksnz at gmail.com