What is wrong with Doch in the Shredder GUI?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

tomgdrums

Re: What is wrong with Doch in the Shredder GUI?

Post by tomgdrums »

Graham Banks wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:
Don wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:I have tried every version of Doch in the Shredder GUI and I cannot get Doch to work. (the VERY first version worked)

I cannot get Doch to analyze a position. It just freezes up. Every verrsion does this.

Am I doing something wrong? I get all other engines to work. Just not Doch.

Thanks.
Larry has tried the newest Doch in the Shredder 12 GUI and it works fine. He is able to analyze and do engine vs engine tournaments.
So it must be me but I have never had this problem before with any other engine. When I ask it to analyze the move in infinite analysis it just keeps saying "waiting for engine doch" and does that a few times and then everything stops.

No other engine has ever done that before.

Any thoughts?
You might just be unlucky. Most could get Stockfish to work under Shredder 12, but a few of us couldn't, despite getting it working okay under Shredder 11. You could well be in the same unfortunate situation with Doch, although we've not heard of others with the same problem yet.
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

Cheers,
Graham.
I have even tried redownloading. As I said this has happened with every Doch version I have tried. As you said it might just be the luck of the draw.
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Don wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:
Don wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:I have tried every version of Doch in the Shredder GUI and I cannot get Doch to work. (the VERY first version worked)

I cannot get Doch to analyze a position. It just freezes up. Every verrsion does this.

Thanks.
Larry has tried the newest Doch in the Shredder 12 GUI and it works fine. He is able to analyze and do engine vs engine tournaments.
So it must be me but I have never had this problem before with any other engine. When I ask it to analyze the move in infinite analysis it just keeps saying "waiting for engine doch" and does that a few times and then everything stops.

Any thoughts?
Larry tried this exact thing in infinite mode and it worked fine.

Could it be OS version? Larry is using the Jim Ablett version, one of the broken ones.
I am using Windows XP if that is what you are asking. I don't understand what you mean by one of the "broken ones."??

The Doch versions I have downloaded have all been the JA versions that he posted on this site.
Don

Post by Don »

tomgdrums wrote:
Don wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:
Don wrote:

Thanks.

Any thoughts?

Could it be OS version? Larry is using the Jim Ablett version, one of the broken ones.
I am using Windows XP if that is what you are asking. I don't understand what you mean by one of the "broken ones."??

The Doch versions I have downloaded have all been the JA versions that he posted on this site.
You should only use 1.3.4, all the others are weaker on some GUI's. The others are weaker on ALL gui's is you try to use a personality file.
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Don wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:
Don wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:
Don wrote:

Thanks.

Any thoughts?

You should only use 1.3.4, all the others are weaker on some GUI's. The others are weaker on ALL gui's is you try to use a personality file.
I tried 1.3.4 today on Shredder 12 GUI and it still wouldn't do any analysis. It just stopped after the waiting messages.

Am I missing something in installation that is specific to Doch?
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Have you tried updating your C++ files. There is a MS update SP1 that cleared the problem I had with Stockfish, maybe this is the same. Once you compile the engine, depending on the compiler, it will create some .dll's that will cause problems if your C++ libraries are not updated.

Most likely this has nothing to do with the engine or the OS ... it is simply that you need to update your C++ libraries.
DomLeste

Post by DomLeste »

Tom try download this perhaps this may help. Also helps with stockfish problem people have had installing the engine.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) installed on that PC...

X64
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

X86
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

DomLeste wrote:Tom try download this perhaps this may help. Also helps with stockfish problem people have had installing the engine.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) installed on that PC...

X64

X86
Thanks for the info. I downloaded and installed the c++ updates but that unfortunately did not help the newest Doch 1.3.4 run in my Shredder GUI.

Maybe one of the next versions or compiles will work for me. What is funny is that I have not had any problems with the newest Stockfish at all. It has been great for analysis on my PC and Shredder 12 GUI.

As Graham hinted it might be luck of the draw....
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

SzG wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
tomgdrums wrote: Thanks for checking!! I have tried all of the JA compiles for windows for the past 3 Doch releases. I am using the Shredder 12 GUI. I haven't run any matches but that is because I am mostly concerned with analysis. So maybe the Shredder 12 GUI and Doch don't sync up for analysis??
I couldn't get Stockfish working under the Shredder 12 GUI, so I stuck with the Shredder 11 GUI.

Cheers,
Graham.
There is something seriously broken in the Shredder 12 GUI. Several engines that worked all right under Shredder 11 do not work any more.
Doch is the only one I have had troubles with. All other engines seem to be working just fine in the Shredder 12 GUI for me at least.
Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Post by Werner »

Hi,
just tested on my AMD 64x2 and Deep Shredder 12 GUI, OS Windows XP x64

Both Doch engines (32bit, 64bit) are running fine here, analyzing works here too.

CPU0: AuthenticAMD AMD64 Family 15 Model 43 Stepping 1 2700 MHz
CPU1: AuthenticAMD AMD64 Family 15 Model 43 Stepping 1 2700 MHz
GUI: Tablebases mit max. 5 Steinen gefunden! [Cache: 16 MB + intern 10.74 MB]
GUI: Shredderbases mit 0 Steinen gefunden! (0 MB)
Hash table size is now 64 meg
Engine: Doch 1.3.4 x64 (64 MB)
von Don Dailey
fen = rnbqkbnr/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/RNBQKBNR w - -
13.00 0:01 +0.22 1.Sf3 Sf6 2.d4 d5 3.Sc3 e6 4.g3 Sc6 5.Lg2 Ld6 6.O-O O-O 7.a3 h6 8.Dd3 e5 9.dxe5 Lxe5 10.Sxe5 Sxe5 (1.648.800) 1159
14.00 0:02 +0.22 1.Sf3 Sf6 2.d4 d5 3.Sc3 Sc6 4.Lf4 e6 5.e3 Ld6 6.Lb5 O-O 7.O-O Ld7 8.h3 h6 9.Lxd6 cxd6 10.Lxc6 Lxc6 11.Dd3 (2.564.505) 1155
14.00 0:02 +0.22 1.Sf3 Sf6 2.d4 d5 3.Sc3 Sc6 4.Lf4 e6 5.e3 Ld6 6.Lb5 O-O 7.O-O Ld7 8.h3 h6 9.Lxd6 cxd6 10.Lxc6 Lxc6 11.Dd3 (2.842.513) 1158
Bester Zug: Sg1-f3 Zeit: 0:02.797 min K/s: 1.158.731 Knoten: 2.842.513
Werner