Your opinions about the Rybka Cluster Rental

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Albert Silver

Re: Your opinions about the Rybka Cluster Rental

Post by Albert Silver »

kranium wrote:seems doomed to failure...i can't see it succeeding.

what's to stop any individual or company with sufficient funds (IBM/Microsoft) from throwing an open-source engine on a 1000 core IBM server... and renting it out?

this would be a chess 'entity' that would crush Rybka cluster as it exists today.
That's the reason it will fail: some company can spend a gazillion dollars on a super computer and rent it out for ... chess??? Hahahahaha

That doesn't really seem like a major concern if you ask me.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

tomgdrums wrote:
tano-urayoan wrote:Extract from the Rybka forum:
The Rybka Cluster is a high-performance supercomputer located in Minden/Westfalen, Germany. Combining software and hardware engineering, the Rybka Cluster features exclusive Rybka versions not available to the public running on customized hardware built with the specific goal of providing top Rybka performance at an affordable price.

Starting on February 1, 2011, the Rybka Cluster will be available to the public for the first time under the Rybka Cluster Rental Program.
A Rybka Cluster 40 consists of 40 physical cores and can be rented for 238 Euro (incl. VAT) per day, or 200 Euro (without VAT) per day for customers outside the EU or businesses outside Germany. The minimum continuous Rybka Cluster 40 rental time is 5 days.

A Rybka Cluster 100 consists of 100 physical cores and can be rented for 595 Euro (incl. VAT) per day, or 500 Euro (without VAT) per day for customers outside the EU or businesses outside Germany. The minimum continuous Rybka Cluster 100 rental time is 2 days.

I won't be a customer.
It is pretty obvious that neither you, nor I, nor the average Joe, were ever intended as customers. :roll:
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
John Conway

Post by John Conway »

The Rybka Cluster is a high-performance supercomputer located in Minden/Westfalen, Germany. Combining software and hardware engineering, the Rybka Cluster features exclusive Rybka versions not available to the public running on customized hardware built with the specific goal of providing top Rybka performance at an affordable price.

Starting on February 1, 2011, the Rybka Cluster will be available to the public for the first time under the Rybka Cluster Rental Program.
A Rybka Cluster 40 consists of 40 physical cores and can be rented for 238 Euro (incl. VAT) per day, or 200 Euro (without VAT) per day for customers outside the EU or businesses outside Germany. The minimum continuous Rybka Cluster 40 rental time is 5 days.

A Rybka Cluster 100 consists of 100 physical cores and can be rented for 595 Euro (incl. VAT) per day, or 500 Euro (without VAT) per day for customers outside the EU or businesses outside Germany. The minimum continuous Rybka Cluster 100 rental time is 2 days.
I think many top players will be scared to used it for fear that their analysis will be leaked.
kranium

Post by kranium »

Albert Silver wrote:
kranium wrote:seems doomed to failure...i can't see it succeeding.

what's to stop any individual or company with sufficient funds (IBM/Microsoft) from throwing an open-source engine on a 1000 core IBM server... and renting it out?

this would be a chess 'entity' that would crush Rybka cluster as it exists today.
That's the reason it will fail: some company can spend a gazillion dollars on a super computer and rent it out for ... chess??? Hahahahaha

That doesn't really seem like a major concern if you ask me.
well, computer chess seems a worthy goal to me...
and IBM seemed very willing to spend oodles on Deep Blue.
(i was approached last summer by an Middle Eastern investment conglomerate with exactly this intention)
i turned them down...they were in contact with Vas...and there's no doubt in my mind there will be (or have already) approaching
Robert, Tord and others in this regard.

PS-
1000 cores for a million dollars...
at the rental rates quoted above, you'd have your investment back in?

6 months?

fully booked:
i.e. 10 instances of Rybka cluster 100 per day at 595 € each per day =
2,171,750 € per year
Last edited by kranium on Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

OMGoodness! Help! I think I am becoming a Decemberist! :shock:
kranium

Post by kranium »

Nimzovik wrote:OMGoodness! Help! I think I am becoming a Decemberist! :shock:
welcome to the team...just made it inside the 1 year statute of limitations.
if you had waited one more day you'd have been the 1st ever Ippolit Januarian....
:)
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

Hi Norm

He says he thinks he is, which means, it is not sure he is that already...
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Hope it works out well for Vas and co.I can't see myself using it as I don't get paid much and have a short term memory, so anything gained from the high quality analysis will quickly be forgotten in a day or 2.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Is there a market for this type of chess computing - for those not interested in speed , I will rent out one core at 5 Euro/day. The minimum continuous Rybka Core 1 rental time is 200 days.

Hopefully nobody takes me seriously - but you get my drfit.
perejaslav

Post by perejaslav »

Your opinions about the Rybka Cluster Mental ...