Candidates Tournament

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

stevenaaus

Candidates Tournament

Post by stevenaaus »

http://kazan2011.fide.com/

In case anyone's missed it, it's a three stage (8 player) knockout tournament, with the first and second rounds being four matches (plus rapid) and the final being six matches. Great to see Gata Kamsky send Topalov packing. His round 1 game 4 draw was a great game, and coming off a strong US win, he might be a chance. Does anyone think so ?...

Gelfands impressive win also puts him into the next round (posted a screenshot to show game end and material difference.)

[Event "Candidates Matches"]
[Site "Kazan"]
[Date "2011.05.07"]
[Round "1.3"]
[White "Mamedyarov, Shakhriyar"]
[Black "Gelfand, Boris"]
[Result "0-1"]
[Board "4"]
[Input "DGT1034"]
[Owner "FIDE"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Bc4 e6 7. Bb3 b5 8. O-O Be7 9. Qf3 Qc7 10. Qg3 O-O 11. Bh6 Ne8 12. Rad1 Bd7 13. f4 Nc6 14. f5 Nxd4 15. Rxd4 Kh8 16. Be3 Nf6 17. Qh3 d5 18. e5 Qxe5 19. Rh4 Rfc8 20. Kh1 Rxc3 21. bxc3 Qxc3 22. Rd4 a5 23. Rd3 Qc6 24. c3 a4 25. Bc2 e5 26. Bg5 b4 27. Qh4 bxc3 28. Rh3 Kg8 29. Re1 e4 30. g4 Kf8 31. Be3 Qc4 32. g5 Bxf5 33. gxf6 Bxf6 34. Qh5 Bg6 35. Qg4 Qxa2 36. Bb1 Qc4 37. Qg2 a3 38. Ba2 Qc6 39. Rg3 Rb8 0-1

Shame to not see Magnus Carlsen there, but i don't blame him. Perhaps another year... Neither Kramnik nor Aronian could muster a win in their first four games, and are now in the tiebreak phase of the first round.
jdart

Re: Candidates Tournament

Post by jdart »

I have been following it, but I think the format of the tournament is ridiculous. FIDE has done a horrible job recently of running the world championship. Every year the rules have changed. This latest idea, where a world championship candidate can be chosen based on a blitz match, is not improving things, IMO.

--Jon
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

dont like the idea of the blitz games deciding things either. the championship is a year away. whats the rush??
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

yanquis1972 wrote:dont like the idea of the blitz games deciding things either. the championship is a year away. whats the rush??
They should take a peek at the current system in use for TCEC season 3. :D
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Martin Thoresen wrote:
yanquis1972 wrote:dont like the idea of the blitz games deciding things either. the championship is a year away. whats the rush??
They should take a peek at the current system in use for TCEC season 3. :D
Indeed Martin :wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

jdart wrote:I have been following it, but I think the format of the tournament is ridiculous. FIDE has done a horrible job recently of running the world championship. Every year the rules have changed. This latest idea, where a world championship candidate can be chosen based on a blitz match, is not improving things, IMO.

--Jon
Agreed here 8-)
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
vh159

Post by vh159 »

Same there!
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

vh159 wrote:Same there!
Laugh :P
But i tend to agree - deciding matches by blitz is ridiculous. When Kramnik and Radjabov's clock malfuntioned... and judging from some of the press photos ... i don't think the players are too impressed.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

stevenaaus wrote:
vh159 wrote:Same there!
Laugh :P
But i tend to agree - deciding matches by blitz is ridiculous. When Kramnik and Radjabov's clock malfuntioned... and judging from some of the press photos ... i don't think the players are too impressed.
I'll see if I cannot get a video of the scene when it happened in an article today or tomorrow, but the blitz games have been extremely trying. Radjabov's hands were visibly shaking before it happened (no doubt thinking he was about to go through). It is remarkable that in Azerbaidjani papers he sounded so collected afterwards.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Tom Barrister

Post by Tom Barrister »

jdart wrote:I have been following it, but I think the format of the tournament is ridiculous. FIDE has done a horrible job recently of running the world championship. Every year the rules have changed. This latest idea, where a world championship candidate can be chosen based on a blitz match, is not improving things, IMO.

--Jon
Why not? Kramnik-Topalov was decided on rapid games. If FIDE is going to be stupid, at least they're consistent about it.
This production is being brought to you by Rybka: "The engine made from scratch.™"