Fritz Quest Experimental 3.1 elo

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Fritz Quest Experimental 3.1 elo

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

acase wrote:What Fernando said I think is correct, I purchased "Extreme Chess" about 14 years ago, and it looks like you can still buy for about it $5-$10 if you look around.
Be warned though that it is a 16-bit program and probably won't run on computer systems with Windows XP or higher (unless of course you can figure out a way to get it to work).

Here is an image of the CDROM case:

Thanks Andrew for the interesting commercial cover....Brings back beautiful memories,chess wise and others :wink:
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
fern

Re: Fritz Quest Experimental 3.1 elo

Post by fern »

I can run it on windows 7 just making use of the compatibility function for the exe. file.

Fern
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: Y-E-S !

Post by Sylwy »

fern wrote:The program you mentioned became Fritz 4 on time...
And F4 with all the frills, gui, etc you can find very cheap in lot of sites.
It is called "Extreme" by some of the publishers...

Fern

Hi Generalissimo !

YES, you are right. STASI can confirm that Fritz Quest 3.1 was the ancestor of Fritz 4 . Fritzy 4 (ChessBase GmbH Hamburg , of course :lol: ) was a 16 bit chess engine .The GUI was a revolutionary one in epoch. Followed Fritz 5 on 16 bit (the same GUI) and then Fritz 5.32 - the first chess engine on 32 bit. A computer chess star !
"Extreme" chess application is near 100% Fritz 4 published by a company in USA.
I still love a lot Fritzy 4 GUI . Very interesting to see a match on this GUI ( for example Fritz 5.16 versus Hiarcs 6 [ChessBase version- on 16 bit]).
All the above chess applications work very well on Windows XP SP3 !
Just a bit of history !

Morituri te salutant , Generalissimo !

SilvianR :wink:
acase
Full name: Andrew R Case

Re: Y-E-S !

Post by acase »

Sylwy wrote:
Hi Generalissimo !

YES, you are right. STASI can confirm that Fritz Quest 3.1 was the ancestor of Fritz 4 . Fritzy 4 (ChessBase GmbH Hamburg , of course :lol: ) was a 16 bit chess engine .The GUI was a revolutionary one in epoch. Followed Fritz 5 on 16 bit (the same GUI) and then Fritz 5.32 - the first chess engine on 32 bit. A computer chess star !
"Extreme" chess application is near 100% Fritz 4 published by a company in USA.
I still love a lot Fritzy 4 GUI . Very interesting to see a match on this GUI ( for example Fritz 5.16 versus Hiarcs 6 [ChessBase version- on 16 bit]).
All the above chess applications work very well on Windows XP SP3 !
Just a bit of history !

Morituri te salutant , Generalissimo !

SilvianR :wink:

Thanks to you and Fern for the tip, I'll give it (Extreme Chess) a shot on my XP and Vista machines now.