Mediocre v0.5 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Zlaire

Mediocre v0.5 released

Post by Zlaire »

Mediocre v0.5 is released and available for download.

Should be noticably stronger than the previous version (v0.4) and might play quite a bit different since I rewrote a big chunk of the evaluation (probably not adding much in terms of strength though).

For anyone messing about in the code it should be a lot nicer now as I converted it to a Maven project, with a bit of automatic build-params and such. Importing into Eclipse (or some IDE of your choice) should be a breeze now.

Download here
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Re: Mediocre v0.5 released

Post by JuLieN »

Thanks Jonatan! :) Both for the engine and... your guides! Often, when I google for a programming topic I end up on your website! ;)
Last edited by JuLieN on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
Richard Allbert

Post by Richard Allbert »

Thanks,

You've made really good progress with this engine.

Regards

Richard
tpetzke

Post by tpetzke »

Hi Jonatan,

good to see you back at it. Looking forward to run some games against it

Thomas ...
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Zlaire wrote:Mediocre v0.5 is released and available for download.

Should be noticably stronger than the previous version (v0.4) and might play quite a bit different since I rewrote a big chunk of the evaluation (probably not adding much in terms of strength though).

For anyone messing about in the code it should be a lot nicer now as I converted it to a Maven project, with a bit of automatic build-params and such. Importing into Eclipse (or some IDE of your choice) should be a breeze now.

Download here
Thanks Jonatan. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Hi Jonatan. I seemed to have problems with the supplied performance.bin book. Mediocre opened the book, but didn't play any books moves, as white or black. There were no entries in the log file. It did seem to work with the performance.bin book from my Fruit installation, so maybe it's the book file itself...?
Zlaire

Post by Zlaire »

tmokonen wrote:Hi Jonatan. I seemed to have problems with the supplied performance.bin book. Mediocre opened the book, but didn't play any books moves, as white or black. There were no entries in the log file. It did seem to work with the performance.bin book from my Fruit installation, so maybe it's the book file itself...?
You're right, very strange. I wonder if my performance.bin was corrupted somewhere along the way.. It seems to work with a fresh download.

I'll make a new release with a new performance.bin.

And if you already downloaded it, just replace it with a new one.
Zlaire

Post by Zlaire »

Oh, without having confirmed it I know what the problem is. I'm actually corrupting it myself by filtering the binary in my build process.

Fixing that and re-releasing. Again, just replace performance.bin and it'll work if you already downloaded it.

(performance.bin can be found here)

Edit: I've uploaded a fixed version to sourceforge (same link/name etc.)
ZirconiumX

Post by ZirconiumX »

So taking Matthew's advice from my previous post I took a look at all the lines touching futility pruning, and I found a difference. It was indeed futility being turned off (I had missed a third boolean).
See? I can be a useful person, honestly!

Matthew:out
Some believe in the almighty dollar.

I believe in the almighty printf statement.
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Thank you, Jonatan.