What happened to D. Kittinger?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Thomas Lagershausen

Re: What happened to D. Kittinger?

Post by Thomas Lagershausen »

F.Huber wrote:
Thomas Lagershausen wrote: Ohhh man, please explain me how to do.
I am a WIN XP 64bit(!) user.
64-bit? That's not good, IIRC Microsoft has completely removed any 16-bit/DOS support from their 64-bit OS (at least since Vista or Win7, I'm not sure about WinXP).

In a 32-bit WinXP WChess and almost all other old DOS chess programs (one big exception are all Rebel programs due to their bad DOS extender) are running perfectly. In Vista/Win7 (32-bit) the problem is that they don't support the fullscreen graphics mode anymore, and so they refuse to run these chess programs.

With 64-bit the best method would certainly be to install also a (minimal) 32-bit version of WinXP as dual-boot system.
Or use VirtualPC or VirtualBox and install Win98 as subsystem, I've read that these Virtual systems are much faster than DOS-Box.
Franz, thx a lot.

How do you use the memory of WChess in XP 32 bit?

I mean especially the -h command for the hash.
TL
karger
Full name: John Karger

Post by karger »

WChess WB/UCI does exist.
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

Fern
Without going over his recent posts, didn't he suggest that he was going to go away and try and write a new WChess based apon Stockfish?
If this is the case then we will probably not hear from him for some time. If maybe his ideas are fruitless (no pun intended) then we might probably never hear from him again (like a ghost in the night).
Bryan
What's my next move? - to the fridge for another beer !!
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

Thomas Lagershausen wrote: How do you use the memory of WChess in XP 32 bit?

Hi Thomas,

I'm afraid I'm not the right expert for this question. Already long time ago I've stopped fiddling around with all those configurations to get out the last byte for hash memory, it was just too annoying: one program needed XMS, the other one EMS, one program needed EMM386.EXE, the other one did not, and for the next one you even had to remove HIMEM.SYS from the configuration. At some time I simply didn't want to reboot with a new configuration again and again for every different chess program.

Since I only use chess programs for my own games (I'm not interested in engine matches at all), I don't care about whether the program uses 256kB or 32MB as hashsize - in both cases the program is more than strong enough for my limited playing strength (about 1800 Elo), and in fact I have no chance at all against these monsters. :shock:

And one further point: I don't have any hash memory in my brain, so why should I allow the chess program to use such a hash? That would be even more unfair! :mrgreen:

Franz
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

karger wrote:WChess WB/UCI does exist.
Yes, but I doubt that this WChess 1.6 (in fact a WB engine) has much to do with the good old DOS Wchess 1.05.
Thomas Lagershausen

F.Huber wrote:
Thomas Lagershausen wrote: How do you use the memory of WChess in XP 32 bit?

Hi Thomas,

I'm afraid I'm not the right expert for this question. Already long time ago I've stopped fiddling around with all those configurations to get out the last byte for hash memory, it was just too annoying: one program needed XMS, the other one EMS, one program needed EMM386.EXE, the other one did not, and for the next one you even had to remove HIMEM.SYS from the configuration. At some time I simply didn't want to reboot with a new configuration again and again for every different chess program.

Franz
Ok Franz.

But can you please give me a example of the difference in KN/sec.

For example before move 11.Bb5?! of the game shown above.

You can go easily with the r command to the position move by move and after the g command WChess calculate.

The p3 command show all information.

It would be nice to know how much kn/sec WCHESS would show after an minute of calculating.

Thx for all Franz.
TL
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

Thomas Lagershausen wrote: But can you please give me a example of the difference in KN/sec.
Ôk Thomas,

here the results on my Core2Duo/2GHz notebook with WinXP:

70000n/s in DOS-Box vs. 1400000n/s in plain WinXP for your suggested position after about 1 minute in infinite level (LI).

So the slowdown factor of DOS-Box is 20! :shock:

I know why I'm still working with a 32-bit WinXP system ... :P

PS: I've just tried it also on my old slow notebook (Celeron/400MHz) which I'm using here for internet, and I get about 210000n/s for the same position (directly in Win98, no DOS-Box).
So DOS-Box is even 3-times slower than this old 400MHz-CPU.

Franz
Thomas Lagershausen

Hi Franz.

Wow, that are very, very convincing facts. :D

Now it´s time for me to say:" WChess, you get your Win XP 32bit."

And once again.

Thx a thausand times. :!:
TL
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

Thomas Lagershausen wrote: Now it´s time for me to say:" WChess, you get your Win XP 32bit."
Yes, a very good decision indeed! :D
And not only for WChess but for all other DOS oldies, too.
fern

Post by fern »

Hi:
I was not aware he said such a thing. Hope he did and he will get a new great engine.

Have you the address of the post where he announced that?

Fern