Hiarcs 14 and explorer? Help please!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

S.Taylor

Hiarcs 14 and explorer? Help please!

Post by S.Taylor »

I purchased deep hiarcs 14 with explorer etc over 2 weeks ago, but i cannot get anything out of it, except for a simple game which stops beyond repair, when the clock is out. (Why? was anyone doubting that the machine could beat me in equal timing for moves?) If i set it at longer times, then the machine also takes too long for me to wait.
I cannot see any analysis during any game, and cannot take back any move unless i go through such a long proccess that it's just not worth the effort.

I never had any problems with hiarcs 7, but this is like an unbelievable downgrade, for ease of use.

Isn't there something terribly wrong in all this?

Also, i don't have time and nerves to try to find out my details to post in the hiarcs forum. It would take me a few weeks before i have a peacefull momment to sit down and look into it.

I thought, that since i'm paying money, i'd get everything, ready-to -use, and since i waited so many years since having hiarcs 7, it would now be much easier and automatic and greater, even than then.

What's the catch?

(Another dissappointment is that i was forced to agree that my download of hiarcs 14 does not make it mine!!!! This was never the case with hiarcs 7. I thought it should be mine for life! Why not? i REALLY don't agree that it is possible to have it taken away from e at any time. I just went ahead and agreed because i felt i was being forced, and that i would complain later and hope for the best that they would grant me ownership for ever, because i didn't want to only rent it, as if it is rubka cluster! [even if i can use it for a year or more, but without gurantees])
tomgdrums

Re: Hiarcs 14 and explorer? Help please!

Post by tomgdrums »

S.Taylor wrote:I purchased deep hiarcs 14 with explorer etc over 2 weeks ago, but i cannot get anything out of it, except for a simple game which stops beyond repair, when the clock is out. (Why? was anyone doubting that the machine could beat me in equal timing for moves?) If i set it at longer times, then the machine also takes too long for me to wait.
I cannot see any analysis during any game, and cannot take back any move unless i go through such a long proccess that it's just not worth the effort.

I never had any problems with hiarcs 7, but this is like an unbelievable downgrade, for ease of use.

Also, i don't have time and nerves to try to find out my details to post in the hiarcs forum. It would take me a few weeks before i have a peacefull momment to sit down and look into it.

I thought, that since i'm paying money, i'd get everything, ready-to -use, and since i waited so many years since having hiarcs 7, it would now be much easier and automatic and greater, even than then.

What's the catch?

(Another dissappointment is that i was forced to agree that my download of hiarcs 14 does not make it mine!!!! This was never the case with hiarcs 7. I thought it should be mine for life! Why not? i REALLY don't agree that it is possible to have it taken away from e at any time. I just went ahead and agreed because i felt i was being forced, and that i would complain later and hope for the best that they would grant me ownership for ever, because i didn't want to only rent it, as if it is rubka cluster! [even if i can use it for a year or more, but without gurantees])
What do you mean you had to agree that it is not your software after you purchase it? I have not yet heard this about Hiarcs Explorer....

I doubt they would "take it away".

Can anyone who has purchased it comment on this?
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

I'm sure he is talking about the EULA terms, and reading through them entirely, I really don't see the problem.

Of course you are purchasing the program for personal use and you don't "own" Hiarcs. Mark does. Pretty standard for any software you purchase. You are purchasing a license to use the product. You aren't "buying" Hiarcs the program itself, as in the rights to it.

The license won't expire in a year. You just won't qualify for updates upon the next major release. Just like any program.....

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

tomgdrums wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:I purchased deep hiarcs 14 with explorer etc over 2 weeks ago, but i cannot get anything out of it, except for a simple game which stops beyond repair, when the clock is out. (Why? was anyone doubting that the machine could beat me in equal timing for moves?) If i set it at longer times, then the machine also takes too long for me to wait.

What's the catch?

What do you mean you had to agree that it is not your software after you purchase it? I have not yet heard this about Hiarcs Explorer....

I doubt they would "take it away".

Can anyone who has purchased it comment on this?
I mean, that the Hiarcs that i purchased was "permission to download", (for which i paid $99), and if i didn't agree to the conditions, then i could not press the final download button, so i had to say i agree. And one condition was, that i agree it is only a "permission to download", but not to own it, and that it is only being lent to me, and also that the company has the right to take it back at any time.
I'm not sure HOW they take it back, but there might be a way, and even if not, i am still agreeing that it is not legally mine to keep.
If i want to use it in 5 years from now, perhaps it might be ileagal.
The fact that i paid for it now, does not mean it remains legal.
If so, i might not have really wanted to pay more than $5.

They DO also speak about online permit, that they may withdraw at any time, at their discretion. OK, so this, they certainly know how to withdraw if they want, according to ones serial number.
But they make you sign regarding the whole program itself, it seems.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Peter Skinner wrote:I'm sure he is talking about the EULA terms, and reading through them entirely, I really don't see the problem.

Of course you are purchasing the program for personal use and you don't "own" Hiarcs. Mark does. Pretty standard for any software you purchase. You are purchasing a license to use the product. You aren't "buying" Hiarcs the program itself, as in the rights to it.

The license won't expire in a year. You just won't qualify for updates upon the next major release. Just like any program.....

Peter
I don't "own" the company, or its copywright rights. But i SHOULD own my copy of it, like with any book or recording which i purchase.
But it doesn't explain this in any way at all. And it even speaks of agreeing that they have permission to withdraw ones rights to it.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Also, I'm STILL wanting to know if i can do with my hiarcs 14, everything which i could do with Hiarcs 7, and if so, how?

e.g. 1).How can i see the 3 (or more) best lines of analysis, whilst playing?
2).How can i change time-control in the middle of a game in less than 5 seconds?
3).How can i continue a game after one side has lost on the clock (within one second of saying i want to)?
4).How can i set it on infinite, and at the same time move the pieces around whilst it starts calculating instantly from every new move which i make for either side, and show atleast 3 top lines of analysis?
5).How can i set it to computer plays itself?
6). How can i easily take back moves at any time, (except if i set it to not be able to do it)?

All these things and more i could do instantly with hiarcs 7, and i assumed that now i could do that and much more, with hiarcs 14.
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

Hello !

Hiarcs Chess Explorer is a great GUI ! Here is the manual:

http://www.hiarcs.com/hce-manual/pc/HIA ... lorer.html

The GUI comes also with some very large and good help files !

If you still have problems let me know , please !

Regards,
SilvianR :wink:
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

For example , the response to your first question is here in manual:

S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Sylwy wrote:Hello !

Hiarcs Chess Explorer is a great GUI ! Here is the manual:

http://www.hiarcs.com/hce-manual/pc/HIA ... lorer.html

The GUI comes also with some very large and good help files !

If you still have problems let me know , please !

Regards,

Thanks indeed!
I probably had this, but lost it somewhere, and i thought it was so far away from usable as is, without configuring, that something must be missing.

But perhaps it really DOES need alot of configuring work done before almost ANY benefit can be seen.

I will now start sitting down to see what i can make out of it!

Thanks! (I hope)