Best chess program for iPad

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Best chess program for iPad

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

reflectionofpower wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:I didn't install Stockfish on my iPad 4 as I have it on my PC....

But a new version Chess Tiger is exotic to have....

I plan to purchase:

iGrandmaster
tChess
The Crazy Bishop Pro
ChessGenius

As these are not available for the PC users....
Dr.D
Man, You want the world! :P
....and beyond but I lack free time for my precious hobby 8-)
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

tomgdrums wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:I didn't install Stockfish on my iPad 4 as I have it on my PC....

I plan to purchase:

iGrandmaster
tChess
The Crazy Bishop Pro
ChessGenius

Dr.D
I am with you in that I REALLY love the Chess Tiger (ChessPro) app on the Ipad! FUn and elegant and educational.

tChess to me is overrated but a lot of people love it. iGrandmaster is ok and I haven't bothered with ChessGenius as I did not like it on my droid phone.
Thanks my friend :D

tChess is around 2500 Elo and it's only available for the iPad users and hence my desire to purchase it and play a 12 games match against it....

Same goes for the New Crazy Bishop and ChessGenius for iPad....
Cheers,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
George

Post by George »

reflectionofpower wrote:I don't have an iPad but a friend of mine does and he downloaded a chess app but the graphics are cheesy. Anyone know of one that is pleasing to the eye AND powerful?

I strongly do not recommend a very powerful one, but the ideal one would be one that is just a few 100 rating points higher then you; otherwise you will be disappointed after playing several games and not being able to win or draw at least one game.
:lol:
Alex54

Post by Alex54 »

Obviously Stodckfish is the strongest program for iPad. My own results on my new iPad Air are very clear . But in terms of style and complete GUI I prefer Hiarcs without any doubt.
Other obvious options are also Shredder and ChessGenius.
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:

I plan to purchase:

iGrandmaster
tChess
The Crazy Bishop Pro
ChessGenius

Dr.D
I am with you in that I REALLY love the Chess Tiger (ChessPro) app on the Ipad! FUn and elegant and educational.

tChess to me is overrated but a lot of people love it. iGrandmaster is ok and I haven't bothered with ChessGenius as I did not like it on my droid phone.

tChess is around 2500 Elo and it's only available for the iPad users and hence my desire to purchase it and play a 12 games match against it....

Cheers,
Dr.D
Hey Dr. D!

When I said overrated I wasn't talking ELO. :) I just don't find tChess to be much fun. But that is purely my opinion. :)

I just bought The Crazy Bishop on my droid phone! FUN ENGINE to play against on the droid anyway... Also cool on the Ipad. GUI is a little busy for my taste but FUN is fun!

Chesstiger is still the most useful and fun app on the ipadd. (IMO). :)
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

tomgdrums wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:

I plan to purchase:

iGrandmaster
tChess
The Crazy Bishop Pro
ChessGenius

Dr.D

Cheers,
Dr.D
Hey Dr. D!

When I said overrated I wasn't talking ELO. :) I just don't find tChess to be much fun. But that is purely my opinion. :)

I just bought The Crazy Bishop on my droid phone! FUN ENGINE to play against on the droid anyway... Also cool on the Ipad. GUI is a little busy for my taste but FUN is fun!

Chesstiger is still the most useful and fun app on the ipadd. (IMO). :)
Noted Master Tom :D

And yeah,the Carazy Bishop is a great choice especially when you know that it's a newer and much updated version of the PC one....
Cheers,
Dr.D
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

Pity the iPad version of Crazy Bishop doesn't have the excellent 3D graphics like the Android version.
What's my next move? - to the fridge for another beer !!
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

mephisto wrote:Pity the iPad version of Crazy Bishop doesn't have the excellent 3D graphics like the Android version.
True....
George

Re:Best chess engine for iPad, how much memory should I get?

Post by George »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:

I plan to purchase:

iGrandmaster
tChess
The Crazy Bishop Pro
ChessGenius

Dr.D

Cheers,
Dr.D
What is the recommended memory for the Ipad mini, is 16 GB sufficient or I need more for Chess tiger, Stockfish, or Houdini ?
royb

Re:Best chess engine for iPad, how much memory should I get?

Post by royb »

George wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:

I plan to purchase:

iGrandmaster
tChess
The Crazy Bishop Pro
ChessGenius

Dr.D

Cheers,
Dr.D
What is the recommended memory for the Ipad mini, is 16 GB sufficient or I need more for Chess tiger, Stockfish, or Houdini ?
First off, Houdini does not run on the iPad. 16 GB of flash memory (used as disk space on the iPad) is easily sufficient for running Stockfish or Chess Tiger on the iPad. How much capacity you will want for your iPad depends on what else you are using the device for. If you download movies to watch on the iPad, 16 GB will be consumed quickly. I think the new iPad comes with a minimum of 32 GB of memory (could be wrong here but I think that is accurate).