David Silver (Deepmind) inaccuracies

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: David Silver (Deepmind) inaccuracies

Post by hgm »

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:This is just surmising. You don't know how they did it.
It is how they say they do it. They describe it in great detail in their papers.

But you believe it is all made up and nothing of it is true. That is surmising. Or paranoia. Or plain stupidity. Make your pick...
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

One way or another, you can not expect much chess-wise from people, who call The Gruenfeld the KID.

Another interesting thing, in the 1200 games with different openings, Alpha lost 24 games, so 2 games each 100.

Why did not it lose a single one in the real match?
The score would have been a bit different and the performance less than 100 elo over SF.

One way or another, we don't know if their infos are true.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Rebel wrote:David Silver (Deepmind) inaccuracies (1½ minute snippet).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEMwF0 ... e=youtu.be

#1. TCEC technically is not the computer chess world championship. Stockfish isn't the ICGA world champion, Komodo is. Mark will not be amused.

#2. What does David Silver mean when he says: "this previous world champion"?
None of us should be amused - fake news needs to be stamped out. It''s like a cancer. Also correct that the world champion of computer chess is the winner of the ICGA. Has not change. As much as I do enjoy the TCEC, it is basically a home computer tournament run on steroids.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Pfft, the ICGA stopped being relevant years ago, I'd rather call world champion the one from Chess.com :lol:
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Rebel wrote:To me it sounds as brutal commerce, we AZ are now WC
That would be wrong, and Deep Mind knows it. I don't know it they would want to pursue a title or not. It seems like a bit of a waste to me. It's time to move on to more practical problems, although they may want to continue with StarCraft.
Deasil is the right way to go.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Ovyron wrote:Pfft, the ICGA stopped being relevant years ago, I'd rather call world champion the one from Chess.com :lol:
I certainly agree that they are less relevant, but it's the only organization that currently exists which would quailify to create an event that could be called a world championship. (and even there, there are still issues). Chess.com simply does not qualifies an an entity that could determine the world championship. That is is almost like a stadium saying they are going to invite all the top teams of (name your sport) and the winner will be the named world champion - it is ludicrous. With that said, you can call the champion from chess.com World champion if you want. More power to you, it would not bother me a bit or a byte . 8-)

The closest events that we have that almost true "world championship events" are the Track and Field annual World Championships, Olympics and the World Cup - technically the World Series and the Super Bowl do not qualify since they are not open to any teams throughout the world - but most realize that there football (American) teams that would win against any non-NFL team. Baseball is a different story, Cuba has fielded a national team for number of years that could be competitive against any World Series team , but perhaps would need a few lucky breaks to actually win the series.

Anyway I like chess.com, they are very nice people and Norman did a great job running their tournament. Much appreciated here.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Eelco de Groot wrote:
Rebel wrote: #2. What does David Silver mean when he says: "this previous world champion"?
I think that he means that Stockfish 8 was the previous TCEC winner, which would be correct, although you can have doubts that TCEC is not a FIDE recognized championship. Houdini now being the TCEC champion. I don't think Mark Lefler would have liked much being Alpha Zero's guinea pig instead of SF, although he would have liked learning from the games.
To me it sounds as brutal commerce, we AZ are now WC :wink:
When you think Rebel was once close to being it...
What do you mean Rebel once was close. It would probably be helpful if we stuck to the facts.

Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

Our world computer chess champion ed !
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:One way or another, we don't know if their infos are true.
So you don't believe them, when they are saying they were playing the match on 4TPUs? They just made that up? In reality they were using a Commodore 64, and that was the reason why they only get such a low nps?
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Dirt wrote:
Rebel wrote:To me it sounds as brutal commerce, we AZ are now WC
That would be wrong, and Deep Mind knows it. I don't know it they would want to pursue a title or not.
No they don't. It is just a few people here that are getting incredibly worked up for no good reason whatsoever.