Summer time - how does your PC cooling solution perform?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Re: Summer time - how does your PC cooling solution perform?

Post by mclane »

IMO the new ryzen cpus have no problem with heat.
Running the cores 7/24 in full power in the summer is no big deal.
If you put several graphic cards into a small case, could give thermal problems but normally you put graphical cards in extra case outside or in no case at all.

In the winter a good oven to make the computerroom attractive even for women because of the good temperature.

In the summer it Depends.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Yes, If I had to buy something today and not the budget for a Threadripper or something, the Ryzen 7 seems very good value for money, if it was available because the chip shortages seem to delay everything or it is some other bottleneck. Coolblue here in The Netherlands has a nice Ryzen 7 for just 749 Euros, but: coming sooon (as Vas Rajlich would say perhaps). No graphic card other than the on board one Vega graphic card (or is it on chip, don't know for sure) for this 749 Euro system, but that is okay. The bigger graphic cards are terribly expensive! I have never seen separate cases for your graphic cards Thorsten, I must be very out of touch.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

With a 360 AIO water cooler, mine works fine in 35 degree room temperatures, but it certainly is not quiet. You have to watch VRM temps as well as CPU, as long as your motherboard has the sensors.
Milos

Post by Milos »

smatovic wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:56 am bump - now with NNUE running on SSE/AVX, do you have to tweak your CPU cooling solution?

--
Srdja
I guess you switched now like most Germans and Dutch to water cooling? :lol: :lol: :lol:
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

Milos wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:43 am
smatovic wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:56 am bump - now with NNUE running on SSE/AVX, do you have to tweak your CPU cooling solution?

--
Srdja
I guess you switched now like most Germans and Dutch to water cooling? :lol: :lol: :lol:
This post tells me more about your psyche than I intented to know Milos.

--
Srdja
smatovic

Post by smatovic »

smatovic wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:31 am

--
Srdja

--
Srdja
...I did not ask, how does your cooling run in Canada/Lytton, that would be impious, my question was genuine about NNUE causing more heat -> better cooling, maybe I should have started a new thread on this.

--
Srdja
Milos

Post by Milos »

--
Srdja

--
Srdja
This post tells me that you like most Germans totally lack any sense of humor.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Milos

Post by Milos »

smatovic wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:10 am

--
Srdja

--
Srdja
...I did not ask, how does your cooling run in Canada/Lytton, that would be impious, my question was genuine about NNUE causing more heat -> better cooling, maybe I should have started a new thread on this.

--
Srdja
You question might be genuine but it only shows you understand very little about CPU power management. Thermal throttling is power related. Your system will always run with maximum power that the current cooling solution allows. Whether you are generating that power running AVX2 or regular non-vectorized instructions is totally irrelevant. In other words, your question is pretty pointless.
smatovic

Post by smatovic »

Milos wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:52 am ...
You question might be genuine but it only shows you understand very little about CPU power management. Thermal throttling is power related. Your system will always run with maximum power that the current cooling solution allows. Whether you are generating that power running AVX2 or regular non-vectorized instructions is totally irrelevant. In other words, your question is pretty pointless.
Enlighten me, so there is no differrence in power usage betwen a non NNUE engine running on CPU and NNUE engine with AVX?

--
Srdja
Milos

Post by Milos »

smatovic wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:13 am
Milos wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:52 am ...
Enlighten me, so there is no differrence in power usage betwen a non NNUE engine running on CPU and NNUE engine with AVX?

--
Srdja
You question is equivalent to "What is heavier 1kg of iron or 1kg of feathers?"
Unfortunately you are incapable of grasping this.