Summer time - how does your PC cooling solution perform?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Re: Summer time - how does your PC cooling solution perform?

Post by smatovic »

Milos wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:48 pm
smatovic wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:54 am Ah, I did not thought about people using AC in their houses, I know them only from data-centers.

--
Srdja
That's because you live in country of uncle scrooges where ppl would rather swim in their own sweat than pay 33 Euro cents per kWh for an AC system...
Hehe, usually we pay a lot more to sweat at a beach and then swin in the sea ;)

--
Srdja
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

jdart wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:55 pm By the way, re cooling, I am testing out my new Threadripper 3970x system. I did not want to water cool it, so I have an air cooler made for the TR4 socket. First time I started measuring the temps they seemed awfully high. However, this thread:

https://community.amd.com/thread/247177

seems to indicate the CPU temp danger zone is somewhere around 85-95 Celsius. My system is playing online with 32 cores right now (ponder on), so it's at 100% usage, and it is at 70.5 Celsius. I've seen it a little higher but not over 80. So that seems ok. We keep the inside temp under 80 Fahrenheit (27 Celsius) with the A/C.
I run the 3970x with an air cooler too, when I enable precision boost I usually see the temperature under full load hoovering around 80 Celsius. With precision boost disabled the temperature reaches at max. ~65 Celsius. Most of the time I keep PB disabled, it doesn't make a very big difference in playing strength, at most 10 Elo (~75 mnps vs ~85 mnps) during the mid-game with my engine. I just don't like it when the processor reaches temperatures close to 80 Celsius.
Milos

Post by Milos »

smatovic wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:32 am
Milos wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:48 pm
smatovic wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:54 am Ah, I did not thought about people using AC in their houses, I know them only from data-centers.

--
Srdja
That's because you live in country of uncle scrooges where ppl would rather swim in their own sweat than pay 33 Euro cents per kWh for an AC system...
Hehe, usually we pay a lot more to sweat at a beach and then swin in the sea ;)

--
Srdja
Even for that one you "travel cheep like student" to use you famous German expression :lol:.
Go by car or camper to Spain, carry all the food from home and stay at cheapest places. Fortunetally, this year you have to stay at home so you are gonna save some money ;).
jdart

Post by jdart »

I have done a little more testing/tuning on my air-cooled 3970x box. I should mention, this box has eight case fans and most of those are running off +12 volt supplies so they are full speed. You really do need that, otherwise the air cooler just can't keep up with the thermal load. Btw. I like Noctua fans a lot, but these are good, too and cheaper: https://www.newegg.com/phanteks-ph-f140 ... 6835709023

--Jon
Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Post by Cornfed »

Same today...as last week...as last month...as last year.
smatovic

Post by smatovic »

jdart wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:34 am I have done a little more testing/tuning on my air-cooled 3970x box. I should mention, this box has eight case fans and most of those are running off +12 volt supplies so they are full speed. You really do need that, otherwise the air cooler just can't keep up with the thermal load. Btw. I like Noctua fans a lot, but these are good, too and cheaper: https://www.newegg.com/phanteks-ph-f140 ... 6835709023

--Jon
For those who need more power regardless of noise I can recommend the Kaze Ultra series:

https://www.newegg.com/p/1YF-0015-000R4 ... 0015-000R4

up to 3000 RPM with up to 45 DB, when running at ~1000 RPM acceptable noise for an desktop, otherwise really a turbine, but very effective for blowing heat out of a box, or cooling a radiator...or both ;)

--
Srdja
smatovic

Post by smatovic »

bump - now with NNUE running on SSE/AVX, do you have to tweak your CPU cooling solution?

--
Srdja
xr_a_y

Post by xr_a_y »

My i7-9700K is at 80°C most of the time and NNUE training makes the gpu fan quite angry...
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

My CPU is at just 21K over room ambient at sustained full load, so 48°C right now. That's because it's a 65W 4C/8T part, and because I put a large air cooler on top of it. But the best thing is: the whole PC is still inaudible.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

I have an antique: AMD Athlon 64 at 2.01 GHz. The first Athlon I think, ca. 2005 when I bought this, just a single core. Cooling is just a fan, it does get noisy now at ca. 25 degrees Celsius roomtemperature, but I should clean it perhaps that would bring some noise down. More important for the cooling is perhaps that this was one of the first motherbotherboards that could bring down clock speed based on temperature. I think it has saved the processor over all these years. Everything built by Intel did not survive even under minimal load, but that was probably not the processor but power supply that they -deliberately?- build to last no more than the duration of your warranty. I still hope to salvage my i7 one of these days. But without the Athlon I would have been thrown back to the dark ages before the Internet inspite of all the progress since 2005.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan