Fritz 17

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Re: Fritz 17

Post by dkappe »

the_real_greco wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:51 am Ich spreche kein Deutsch, kann aber Google Translate verwenden. Ich kann mich auch nicht entscheiden, ob ein offenes Geheimnis gleichbedeutend mit einer Offenlegung ist.
I don’t have a dog in this fight, but this is an explicit declaration, it seems to me, not a secret. What is secret?

You can see the various changes in the changelog, which seem to be in part support for better reporting in Fritz GUI? The author change credits lc0 and credits the FF author with the net, which seems correct.

Again, what is secret?

The GPL allows commercial use of code and, in fact allows renaming of a project as long as you keep copyright notices intact (legally required) and keep references to the old project (an important courtesy). Actually, not renaming your fork can cause confusion with the original project.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
jdart

Post by jdart »

dkappe wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:06 pm
Of course the network weights are not covered by the GPL but by whatever license ChessBase applies to it.
I don't think this would fly under the GPL. You can't release GPL code that is not functional without some additional data file that is not GPL.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Google Translation
DESCRIPTION
DETAILS
The really big PC chess program - now with FAT FRITZ

Fritz has been fascinated by the entire world of chess for more than 25 years (!): Victories against Garry Kasparov and former World Champion Vladimir Kramnik, innovative training methods for amateurs & professionals, almost 20 years of internet chess on the Fritz server and much more. Fritz, the "most popular German chess program" ( "Der Spiegel"), offers everything you need as a chess lover and the icing on the cake: with Fritz17 you are eligible for the 1st German Online Championship!

New in Fritz 17:

Now with "Fat Fritz" (*): Extremely strong neural engine in Alpha Zero technique. Creates very human and well-planned analyzes. (**)
Improved Fritz 17 engine with traditional search technology
Convenient management of own opening repertoires with single click functions
Opening training with success control and e-learning technology
Hundreds of ready-to-open repertoire incl.
24-hour automatic tournaments on playchess.com
"Blitz & Train": Fritz generates tasks from his flash games to the tactics training
Perfect analysis of endgames with up to seven stones thanks to access to "Let's Check"
Improved 3D chess boards thanks to real-time raytracing
Incl. 6 months premium membership for playchess.com and ChessBase Account: Now with 11 ChessBase apps for mobile training, analysis, live chess & game and more
By Premium-Account Eligibility for the 1st Official German Online Chess Championship of the DSB in February 2020 (prerequisite: membership in a German chess club)
(*)

Fat Fritz is based on LCZero. LCZero is an open source project licensed through GPL v3. The source code of LCZero and the modifications for Fat Fritz can be found at Github.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

jdart wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:52 am
dkappe wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:06 pm
Of course the network weights are not covered by the GPL but by whatever license ChessBase applies to it.
I don't think this would fly under the GPL. You can't release GPL code that is not functional without some additional data file that is not GPL.
if the code functions with any Lc0 NN and they keep the downloads separate , it does not appear to me as being as black and white as you state.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and even if you and were both lawyers, lawyers often have differences of opinion. But I would love to hear from a real lawyer.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

hammerklavier wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:18 pm In details say... Author : Rajlich... F17 --->Rybka 6??? in CPU mode?
F17 --->FF GPU Mode ?
Nah, Fritz 16 would be Rybka 6. Fritz 17 would be Rybka 7. Or Rybka 4.4, for that matter.

Can someone with a computer that can't run modern Stockfish (because their CPU doesn't have some instructions) and needs to run a general compile please check if they can install Fritz 17 x64 at all? With Fritz 16 this was impossible, you were forced to install the 32bit version.

I'd refuse to install a version that could well be weaker than Fritz 15 64bit just because they don't care about users without "modern computers", so if the 32bit version is forced in this version again, I'll pass.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Ovyron wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:41 amFritz 17 would be Rybka 7. Or Rybka 4.4, for that matter.
Wrong, but I won't say more.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Post by Paloma »

Why ??
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Paloma wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:32 amWhy ??
Because it's not my place to.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Daniel Bennett

Post by dannyb »

Graham Banks wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:15 am
Ovyron wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:41 amFritz 17 would be Rybka 7. Or Rybka 4.4, for that matter.
Wrong, but I won't say more.
since it seems confirmed in that page the Rjalich is the programmer I wonder what Graham's comment means. Maybe it's not Rybka but a new engine?