Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by AdminX »

NoChessNoLife wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:49 am
AdminX wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:56 pm
NoChessNoLife wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:53 pm Feature request: ability to flip the board, that is, Black's point of view at the bottom.
Thanks.
It is already there next to the autoplay button.
But it is not possible to flip the board when it is in tournament mode. So it would be a nice feature for tournament mode to be able to flip the board if one desires to do so.
Ahh, Understood! That would be nice. :wink:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Ibrahim Adam

Post by huanhuan »

I think it's really important to separate these three layouts:

- layout for tournament
- layout for human vs engine
- layout for human vs human

When we run a Tournament, a lot of Windows we need "Engine info, Moves, PV Board, Engine Log and so on".

But when we play against an Engine, then we only need 3 Windows "Engie info, Moves and Books/Egtb".

and when we play against other people, then we only need 2 Windows "Moves and Books/Egtb".

I have created examples of layouts for easy understanding.

tournament layout
=> https://i.postimg.cc/K8NZHgrL/Screenshot-2.png

human vs engine layout
=> http://prntscr.com/1310pz4

human vs human layout
=> http://prntscr.com/1310th2

The Button can be placed to the right of the "Windows" menu.
=> https://postimg.cc/7G8VPmCD
=> https://postimg.cc/t1SjLn7h

---------------------------------

The reason I propose this feature, is because this feature [https://postimg.cc/560kRKLk] doesn't work, the layout affects each other.
lechmazur
Full name: Lech Mazur

Post by lechmazur »

You have some possible bugs listed at https://github.com/nguyenpham/Banksia/issues
ydebilloez
Full name: Yves De Billoëz

Post by ydebilloez »

https://banksiagui.com/ is not opening for some days now. Is there any alternative location?
Yves De Billoëz @ macchess belofte chess
Once owner of a Mephisto I, II, challenger, ... chess computer.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

ydebilloez wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:37 pm https://banksiagui.com/ is not opening for some days now. Is there any alternative location?
That explains why I get a broadcasting error on startup.

Post by fjpv »

AdminX

Post by AdminX »

fjpv wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:41 am https://banksiagui.com/ is opening now
I see the Webpage has been updated!

Post by JohnW »

phhnguyen wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:28 pm
JohnW wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:55 pm
phhnguyen wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:24 pm
JohnW wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:30 pm I can't seem to register engines in this gui now. I have registered many before but not now. No matter what I select it will error with "Error: This engine doesn't support any protocol". I have updated to the latest today as well but still no luck.
Thanks for the report. Which engines are you trying?

Can you try some engines from the Download box of BSG to check if they can be installed? Menu Tools -> Download -> Open Download dialog, click on any Download button of engines in the list. BSG will auto-download and install that engine. Back to Settings to see if the new engine has been added to the list.

You may also try to remove the JSON file about engines in the BSG configuration folder before trying again: Open Settings dialog ->General tab, button Configuration files to open a dialog, tick the line "Engine" and click the button "Delete ticked file".

The known problem is that BSG does not support engines with protocol Winboard 1.0. They should be UCI or Winboard 2.0.
I clicked on the download button for those engines but I simply get a folder empty message. I also deleted the Engine json but that didn't fix the error.
I am trying to register the new Komodo Dragon 2 engine but it seems to happen with any engine I try.
Simply select any folder to download and store engines at the bottom of the Download dialog.

Another way to try: download Stockfish and install it by dragging-dropping (video:

BTW, can you run any engine from the command line (CMD)? Then type uci and post what it replies to here (text or image). Thanks
I downloaded the latest version of Banksia but I still can't register engines properly, I deleted previous versions, I deleted all the ini files and json files etc. I can download and install engines using the Download box of BSG but I still can't install any engine from the "Add Engine" dialog window and selecting an engine file. I am selecting uci engines that I have already installed in other gui's like Fritz. Komodo Dragon 2 for example. I also tried dragging an engine file to the chessboard but that still provides the same error "Error: This engine doesn't support any protocol"
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

JohnW wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:42 pm
JohnW wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:30 pm I can't seem to register engines in this gui now. I have registered many before but not now. No matter what I select it will error with "Error: This engine doesn't support any protocol". I have updated to the latest today as well but still no luck.

Can you try some engines from the Download box of BSG to check if they can be installed? Menu Tools -> Download -> Open Download dialog, click on any Download button of engines in the list. BSG will auto-download and install that engine. Back to Settings to see if the new engine has been added to the list.

You may also try to remove the JSON file about engines in the BSG configuration folder before trying again: Open Settings dialog ->General tab, button Configuration files to open a dialog, tick the line "Engine" and click the button "Delete ticked file".

The known problem is that BSG does not support engines with protocol Winboard 1.0. They should be UCI or Winboard 2.0.
I clicked on the download button for those engines but I simply get a folder empty message. I also deleted the Engine json but that didn't fix the error.
I am trying to register the new Komodo Dragon 2 engine but it seems to happen with any engine I try.
Simply select any folder to download and store engines at the bottom of the Download dialog.

Another way to try: download Stockfish and install it by dragging-dropping (video:

BTW, can you run any engine from the command line (CMD)? Then type uci and post what it replies to here (text or image). Thanks
I downloaded the latest version of Banksia but I still can't register engines properly, I deleted previous versions, I deleted all the ini files and json files etc. I can download and install engines using the Download box of BSG but I still can't install any engine from the "Add Engine" dialog window and selecting an engine file. I am selecting uci engines that I have already installed in other gui's like Fritz. Komodo Dragon 2 for example. I also tried dragging an engine file to the chessboard but that still provides the same error "Error: This engine doesn't support any protocol"
Make sure the path has no spaces, and the same goes for the engine name.

Eample: Black Dragon is wrong and BlackDragon would be correct.

Post by JohnW »

AdminX wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:19 pm
JohnW wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:42 pm

Make sure the path has no spaces, and the same goes for the engine name.

Eample: Black Dragon is wrong and BlackDragon would be correct.
That was it! It's because the folder I have all my engines in is called "CHESS ENGINES". I tried registering stockfish_4_x64.exe and it caused the error. Then I copied the file to the parent folder which is "Downloads" and I was able to register the file. So that seems like a bug, the application should be able to handle spaces in file paths. Thanks for your help AdminX..