Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

wickedpotus
Full name: Aron Rodgriges

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by wickedpotus »

phhnguyen wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:37 am Thanks all for feedback, reports, suggestions. I have been working on them!
Where you able to reproduce the severe bug that Banksia gets completely unresponsive on win10 when single-clicking with the mouse on a piece in the GUI (square gets green and Banksia goes into coma, unless restarted).. hold-mouse and drag piece works but single-clicking a piece and releasing mouse button just makes the GUI die :-(
wickedpotus

Post by wickedpotus »

wickedpotus wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:46 pm
phhnguyen wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:37 am Thanks all for feedback, reports, suggestions. I have been working on them!
Where you able to reproduce the severe bug that Banksia gets completely unresponsive on win10 when single-clicking with the mouse on a piece in the GUI (square gets green and Banksia goes into coma, unless restarted).. hold-mouse and drag piece works but single-clicking a piece and releasing mouse button just makes the GUI die :-(
I investigated further.. And the app-freeze bug for single click movement of pieces causing the app to crash was introduced in 0.42. 0.41 works without freeze..Is it possible for you to test your builds on a real Windows system, not just virtualized stuff? I guess Windows is one of the most popular platforms to run Banksia-Gui, on, right?
AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Post by AlexChess »

wickedpotus wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:55 pm
wickedpotus wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:46 pm
I investigated further.. And the app-freeze bug for single click movement of pieces causing the app to crash was introduced in 0.42. 0.41 works without freeze..Is it possible for you to test your builds on a real Windows system, not just virtualized stuff? I guess Windows is one of the most popular platforms to run Banksia-Gui, on, right?
Tried now clicking one piece then moving on the board before releasing (Windows 10 ARM64) All ok...
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum TROLLS KINDERGARTEN
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

New bug: I have completed a tournament of 703 games, then I have replaced an engine, deleting also the related games.
Then I have completed again all the remaining games. I have closed Banksiagui 0.45, reopened it and now there are only 626 games played (also on Recent tournaments) . It has happened more times on Windows 10 build. It would be nice to have also an option to save last tournament manually, to be sure that results aren't lost. I have exported the pgn with all the 703 games, is there a way to reinsert them without the need to play them again?

Thank you!
Regards, AlexChess
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
wickedpotus

Post by wickedpotus »

AlexChess wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:41 pm
Tried now clicking one piece then moving on the board before releasing (Windows 10 ARM64) All ok...
Well, that procedure works OK on other windows 10 as well. The bug is when clicking on piece and releasing it before moving (touchpad used for my test) and then trying to click on the destination square to move the piece.. ie. click on piece release, click on destination release.. This works in 0.41 in later version it makes Banksia-Gui go completely unresponsive and needed to kill by task-manager.. Maybe Win 10 ARM build is an exception.
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

wickedpotus wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:14 am
AlexChess wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:41 pm
Well, that procedure works OK on other windows 10 as well. The bug is when clicking on piece and releasing it before moving (touchpad used for my test) and then trying to click on the destination square to move the piece.. ie. click on piece release, click on destination release.. This works in 0.41 in later version it makes Banksia-Gui go completely unresponsive and needed to kill by task-manager.. Maybe Win 10 ARM build is an exception.
OK, this way I can reproduce the bug. Confirmed also on Windows 10 ARM.
RubiChess
Full name: Andreas Matthies

Post by RubiChess »

Bug report:
Latest Banksia GUI running in Linux just closes (crashes?) when I load a pgn from clipboard, start some on-the-fly analysis (selecting two engines) and stop the analysis after a while.
CMCanavessi

Post by CMCanavessi »

Been using Banksia for a while with good results.
Things I'd like to have implemented:

* Button to "gracefully" stop a running tournament (let the currently running games end but don't start new ones)
* When using ponder, show the pondering move
* Option to automatically replay games that finished in an abnormal way (timeout, crash, illegal move, etc)
* Related to the previous one, option to save those unfinished games to a different pgn or just discard them completely
* When adding/configuring an engine, there are some options that have some limits (max hash size for example), but Banksia doesn't show it. Let's take Stash for example, max hash size is 1024, yet I have no way of finding that out without executing the engine myself and checking with the uci command. Banksia should show that in the gui itself (arena does this with a dialog when you hover the mouse over the hash option).
* Fix the non-shuffled carrousell scheduling!! :mrgreen:
Follow my tournament and some Leela gauntlets live at http://twitch.tv/ccls
CMCanavessi

Post by CMCanavessi »

Another thing that I've found, which is quite annoying. I'm trying to run a tournament with 20 engines, 19 of them are uci and 1 is WB (schooner). I use ponder on, but found out schooner wasn't pondering. Looking at the logs everything looks ok:

Code: Select all

Schooner 2.2 < memory 2048
Schooner 2.2 < memory 1024 *** this is overriding my custom config !!!
Schooner 2.2 < cores 1
Schooner 2.2 < hard
Schooner 2.2 < post
Schooner 2.2 < variant fischerandom
Schooner 2.2 < setboard nqnrkbbr/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/NQNRKBBR w HDhd - 0 1
Schooner 2.2 < level 0 3 2
Schooner 2.2 < ping 2
Schooner 2.2 > hash=1024MB
Schooner 2.2 > threads=1
Schooner 2.2 > CPUs available 1
Schooner 2.2 > pondering enabled.
Schooner 2.2 > pong 2
Schooner 2.2 < time 18000
Schooner 2.2 < otim 18000
Schooner 2.2 < go
but then while the game is playing, schooner doesn't ponder. I found out that there's an option for the tournament so "all" engines ponder in the "overall options" and if I check it, schooner will finally ponder, but that's a horrible solution, as "overall options" also have a common hash, cpu settings, syzygy, etc... and I'm using different values for different engines. What if I want engine X to ponder, and engine Y not to ponder? That's what I was doing, setting each engine with it's custom uci settings... but then comes the WB engine and even if it says "pondering enabled" and the hard command is sent, it won't do it without that "overall ponder option" selected.

Edit: also, that global hash setting can't go past 4.000 mb which for LTC is quite inconvenient
CMCanavessi

Post by CMCanavessi »

Another bug I noticed (sorry for the triple-posting, but I can't edit):

On the results file:

Tournament roundrobin, timer 40/300+1, #games to play 7600 of 7600, started at 2021.07.06 12:16:29

That part is wrong, in my case I have it set to 1800+5 (30 minutes + 5 seconds)