Tool to solve puzzles in pgn

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ponti

Tool to solve puzzles in pgn

Post by Ponti »

I'm searching for a tool that can solve 1000 puzzles in a pgn file using an engine and write the solutions to a new pgn file. Does that tool exist ? If so, where can I find it please?
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931
mwyoung

Re: Tool to solve puzzles in pgn

Post by mwyoung »

Fritz 17 - Chess Base.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

WinBoard?

It seems just a matter of playing games of the engine against itself, using the PGN as 'opening lines'.
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Ponti wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:28 am I'm searching for a tool that can solve 1000 puzzles in a pgn file using an engine and write the solutions to a new pgn file. Does that tool exist ? If so, where can I find it please?
Please, tell us more.
Is there 1000 games with a defined starting position ([FEN "... ) and with only one move per game, and this move is the best move ?
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

Exactly, 1000 games, 1 move/game
A. Ponti
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

mwyoung wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:47 am Fritz 17 - Chess Base.
Could you please explain how to do it ?
A. Ponti
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Vinvin wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:04 pm
Ponti wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:28 am I'm searching for a tool that can solve 1000 puzzles in a pgn file using an engine and write the solutions to a new pgn file. Does that tool exist ? If so, where can I find it please?
Please, tell us more.
Is there 1000 games with a defined starting position ([FEN "... ) and with only one move per game, and this move is the best move ?
If the solution is already given in the PGN, why would you still want to run the engine? Or do you want to see the remaining moves up to the checkmate?
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Right, either you already have the solutions and don't need the engine, or you don't have them, and then the answer is "no", no tool exists that does this because depending on the puzzles' difficulty the engine is going to miss some solutions, so there's no way to solve all puzzles with an automated tool (this can't exist, in principle, until chess is solved and chess' solution includes those puzzles).
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Ponti wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:01 pm
mwyoung wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:47 am Fritz 17 - Chess Base.
Could you please explain how to do it ?

Sure, Fritz has a option under the engine tab called "process test set". You can take a file of positions in pgn and have a engine look at the position. With many option on how to do this for the engine. And it will run your 1000 position. Writing the solve times to the file. And you can do this with many engines, and all the engine data will be saved to the file.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

Sure, Fritz has a option under the engine tab called "process test set". You can take a file of positions in pgn and have a engine look at the position. With many option on how to do this for the engine. And it will run your 1000 position. Writing the solve times to the file. And you can do this with many engines, and all the engine data will be saved to the file.
That's what I'm searching for, thank you !!
I have some pgn files with tactical puzzles but no solutions written, that I want to give to a child to solve, but I want to have the solutions too.
I'll give Fritz a try.

Somehow got it using Shredder GUI,running the engine, converting the solutions to epd and them back to pgn using Norman Pollock's epdConvert tool.
Not too much work, but if it is easier with Fritz...

BTW, the puzzles are not too hard, though I'm interested in continuing with intermediate tests after these "newbie" puzzles, maybe with 3-move solutions...thought to begin with Kostrov's 2.000 tactical puzzles.
A. Ponti