Andscacs

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ovyron

Re: Andscacs

Post by Ovyron »

I was expecting a comment from the author about stopping Laser's development. For what I've seen they could be taking a 2 year hiatus (Rybka 4.1 had a really long hiatus before the Fritz 15 revival.)
Alayan
Full name: Alayan Feh

Post by Alayan »

Nothing prevents the author to come back at it later, but for now development has completely ceased.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

You don't need to update your public github and still can have a newer version locally...
It was not announced dead anyway. Others even came back after >10 or >15 years w/o any announcement.
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
Alayan

Post by Alayan »

Wolfgang was saying that Laser is maintained because a beta is playing at TCEC. I was showing him that this is the name used by the dev version since after the 1.7 release and it doesn't indicate any update.

That nothing prevents an author to come back to a project later on doesn't mean that, for now, it is not abandoned. Most abandoned projects don't get a formal announcement about it, either.

The Laser author had been doing his tests on OpenBench for months before he ceased development, and there is no reason he wouldn't use OpenBench if he wanted to try new things.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

I'd still like to know from the author why work has ceased, and if they have planned about continuing it. This is important because effort would be wasted by someone branching off Laser to keep it alive only to have Laser's author return and work on their own stronger branch.

It's definitively a different type of abandonment from Andscacs.
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

jpqy wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:25 pm You can check here and work on these engines when interested :

http://chess.grantnet.us/

Would be nice if more open sources engines could be included in this testframe.
People just have to ask. OpenBench requires only a few changes for most engines. Only thing I ask of those who make use of the framework is that they strive to make their code readable and usable by others. Goal is to boost the whole field, not just an individual engine, where possible.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
Alayan

Post by Alayan »

Roland Chastain wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:59 pm
Alayan wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:14 pm Incorrect, the last open source version was 0.921 ; while the latest released version was 0.95 (~20-25 elo stronger).

I downloaded the 0.921 sources a few days before andscacs.com went down ; I could upload them if other people are interested and don't have them.
I would be interested. :wink:
Here is a google drive link for the 0.921 sources (can't use the forum's attachment feature).

I hope you find it useful !
Roland Chastain
Full name: Roland Chastain

Post by Roland Chastain »

Alayan wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:11 am Here is a google drive link for the 0.921 sources (can't use the forum's attachment feature).
Thank you.
Qui trop embrasse mal étreint.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

A crying shame for the mighty planetary cheese balls to languish.
But sometimes real life messes with good clean geeky fun.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.