chess22k 1.14 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

sandermvdb

chess22k 1.14 released

Post by sandermvdb »

Mainly a bugfix version and improved SMP scaling.
Unfortunately no big elo gains, probably 20-30.
Build using Java 14 but also a Java 11 binary has been supplied.

https://github.com/sandermvdb/chess22k/ ... s/tag/1.14
Graham Banks

Re: chess22k 1.14 released

Post by Graham Banks »

Just in time for my new tournament. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

sandermvdb wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:31 pm Mainly a bugfix version and improved SMP scaling.
Unfortunately no big elo gains, probably 20-30.
Build using Java 14 but also a Java 11 binary has been supplied.

https://github.com/sandermvdb/chess22k/ ... s/tag/1.14
Long-awaited update.

I have already java 8 and java 11 installed. Shall I install java 14 too? Is there a difference in strength when using different java versions?
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
sandermvdb

Post by sandermvdb »

Gabor Szots wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:02 am
Long-awaited update.

I have already java 8 and java 11 installed. Shall I install java 14 too? Is there a difference in strength when using different java versions?
If possible, I would only install the latest version which is 14 and uninstall all older versions.
If you don't feel like installing a newer version, just uninstall 8 and use 11.
Strength difference between 11 and 14 is negligible I think.
Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

sandermvdb wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:34 am
Gabor Szots wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:02 am
Long-awaited update.

If possible, I would only install the latest version which is 14 and uninstall all older versions.
If you don't feel like installing a newer version, just uninstall 8 and use 11.
Strength difference between 11 and 14 is negligible I think.
I have just installed jdk 14, so now I have 3 java versions installed.

However, I have had two problems with java 11:
1. Some older java engines run only with java 8.
2. Java 8 is regularly updated (automatically), while java 11 is not.

Besides, I don't know how to use them in parallel. If the path environment variable is overwritten (which I prevented so far) then I think all java engines will try to use java 14 unless explicitly told to use java 8 (in which case I have to edit all files invoking java 8, which is a PITA).
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
sandermvdb

Post by sandermvdb »

Gabor Szots wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:24 pm I have just installed jdk 14, so now I have 3 java versions installed.

However, I have had two problems with java 11:
1. Some older java engines run only with java 8.
2. Java 8 is regularly updated (automatically), while java 11 is not.

Besides, I don't know how to use them in parallel. If the path environment variable is overwritten (which I prevented so far) then I think all java engines will try to use java 14 unless explicitly told to use java 8 (in which case I have to edit all files invoking java 8, which is a PITA).
Strange that you need Java 8. I thought all Java versions were backwards compatible.
Now I'm thinking about it, it is true that they removed some libraries from newer Java versions and apparently some engines you use require these libraries. You could however download these libraries manually.
I think that the easiest approach for you is to update the paths to the Java 8 engines to your actual ProgramFiles\Java\bin folder. New engines then can use the latest Java version by using the path variable.

I don't see any reason that you need Java 11.
Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

sandermvdb wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:54 pm Strange that you need Java 8. I thought all Java versions were backwards compatible.
Now I'm thinking about it, it is true that they removed some libraries from newer Java versions and apparently some engines you use require these libraries. You could however download these libraries manually.
I think that the easiest approach for you is to update the paths to the Java 8 engines to your actual ProgramFiles\Java\bin folder. New engines then can use the latest Java version by using the path variable.

I don't see any reason that you need Java 11.
I have just tried two relatively old java engines (Mediocre and Fischerle) with java 14 and they seem to work.

I am going to delete both 8 and 11 and use 14 exclusively. I have downloaded OpenJDK14U-jdk_x64_windows_hotspot_14.0.1_7.msi and openjdk-14.0.1_windows-x64_bin.zip. Do you think I should use the msi for installing (then I'll reinstall, deleting the one I created using the zip file)?
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
Ronald
Full name: Ronald Friederich

Post by Ronald »

Hi Sander,

Good to see you back!
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Hi,

As I am not familiar with Java based engines,can someone please instruct me how to use this beautiful chess engine under Fritz GUI ?

Thanks in advance,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:30 pm Hi,

As I am not familiar with Java based engines,can someone please instruct me how to use this beautiful chess engine under Fritz GUI ?

Thanks in advance,
Dr.D
Anyone ?
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….