Chess programming on YouTube: NOBODY CARES?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

maksimKorzh
Full name: Maksim Korzh

Re: Chess programming on YouTube: NOBODY CARES?

Post by maksimKorzh »

mclane wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:18 pm It would be interesting to see that people try out b strategy ideas.
IMO it would make more sense then creating the usual AB strategy thing,

We have enough Stockfish engines IMO.

If you begin something, try something interesting,
Intresting proposal, thanks. One day we may try even NNUE like all modern engines does. But first the very basic framework should be implemented. I'm intending the source code to be both modular and extensible so anybody would be able to start his own branch at some point. Anyway, LOTS of work to do until then. Also I'm bearing in mind the initial request I already had - create BB engine that is clearly stronger than TSCP and has normal time handling within UCI instead of fixed depth placeholder. It's pretty trivial task for most participants here, BUT covering material in videos and optimize code for clarity/didactic purposes is an extra mile to come up with.
adnoh
Full name: Charles Wong

Post by adnoh »

I have also subscribed and thank you for creating the videos.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

maksimKorzh wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:19 pm
mclane wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:18 pm It would be interesting to see that people try out b strategy ideas.

Intresting proposal, thanks. One day we may try even NNUE like all modern engines does. But first the very basic framework should be implemented. I'm intending the source code to be both modular and extensible so anybody would be able to start his own branch at some point. Anyway, LOTS of work to do until then. Also I'm bearing in mind the initial request I already had - create BB engine that is clearly stronger than TSCP and has normal time handling within UCI instead of fixed depth placeholder. It's pretty trivial task for most participants here, BUT covering material in videos and optimize code for clarity/didactic purposes is an extra mile to come up with.
I am not talking about neural nets, but about b strategy, that means not following all moves. But only the interesting ones,
http://aifactory.co.uk/newsletter/2014_ ... inimax.htm
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
maksimKorzh

Post by maksimKorzh »

mclane wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:37 pm
maksimKorzh wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:19 pm

I am not talking about neural nets, but about b strategy, that means not following all moves. But only the interesting ones,
http://aifactory.co.uk/newsletter/2014_ ... inimax.htm
Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing!
Richard Allbert

Post by Richard Allbert »

maksimKorzh wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:20 pm Hey what's up guys, Code Monkey King's (My YouTube nickname) here.
Nice, just had a quick look and I'll make sure to watch them as they arrive.

All the best with it!

One of the wonderful things about CC is the contributions people make - be it from the top engines and authors, or the lower rated simpler programs with good explanations.
maksimKorzh wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:20 pm SAD STATISTICS on chess programming YouTubers:
1. BluefeverSoftware released his legendary series and... disappeared
Well, not quite, but family, children, dog, job... definitely not disappeared.
mvanthoor
Full name: Marcel Vanthoor

Post by mvanthoor »

Hi Maksim,

BlueFever didn't disappear. He has released many video's since his chess programming in C (he also did an engine in Javascript... but it is basically a Javascript version of Vice). I've also watched is entire series to refresh my understanding of the topics. Some of his methods are in my engine that is currently in development; but some things are very different. (He uses a mailbox board, while I immediately went for magic bitboards.) Because my engine is written in Rust, the structure is very different to Vice's, by necessity.

Personally I don't like LogiCrazy's series. First, because he uses Java, and I'd NEVER use a language that is slower than C to write a chess engine. Personal taste... If I'm writing something like a chess engine that benefits from as much speed as possible, I'm not going to use languages that are inherently slow. If I do, I'd feel I'm wasting my time. Second, his code is harder to understand than BlueFever's, at least for me.

I don't know your series, but I'm certainly going to find it and try to watch it.

I'm going to create a write-up of programming a chess engine; step by step, much like BlueFever's video's, or TSCP's website. It will be a website/book that can be read online. My English is quite good, but I'm not a native speaker like BlueFever is, and I''m not comfortable making video's. And I can't video edit.

The only thing I know is: if you're writing a chess engine, and even more so, creating tutorials and learning materials, there's only one person you're doing it for: YOURSELF. This is a labor of love; you do it because you want to. The time that you could make a living out of chess engines is over. That was in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. After the personal computer superseded the dedicated chess computers as the default, and open source software like Fruit became widely available, the world has been virtually flooded with chess engines. You don't need to pay for good chess software, because it's all out there for free; you don't have to study for years and years to write even the most basic engine, because all of the information has been developed since the 70's and is out there for free, in one form or another; video's, websites, forums, and even code.

So, please continue writing your chess engine and creating your tutorials; but remember that the only person you are doing it for is YOU. If YOU don't derive pleasure out of creating this material (as in: wanting your very own chess engine from scratch, not a fork of a another engine, and teaching the world how YOU did it, for better or worse), then you shouldn't be doing it.

Good luck and success. I'm going to go and find your video's now.
Author of Rustic, an engine written in Rust.
Releases | Code | Docs | Progress | CCRL
maksimKorzh

Post by maksimKorzh »

mvanthoor wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:26 pm Hi Maksim,

BlueFever didn't disappear. He has released many video's since his chess programming in C (he also did an engine in Javascript... but it is basically a Javascript version of Vice). I've also watched is entire series to refresh my understanding of the topics. Some of his methods are in my engine that is currently in development; but some things are very different. (He uses a mailbox board, while I immediately went for magic bitboards.) Because my engine is written in Rust, the structure is very different to Vice's, by necessity.

Personally I don't like LogiCrazy's series. First, because he uses Java, and I'd NEVER use a language that is slower than C to write a chess engine. Personal taste... If I'm writing something like a chess engine that benefits from as much speed as possible, I'm not going to use languages that are inherently slow. If I do, I'd feel I'm wasting my time. Second, his code is harder to understand than BlueFever's, at least for me.

I don't know your series, but I'm certainly going to find it and try to watch it.

I'm going to create a write-up of programming a chess engine; step by step, much like BlueFever's video's, or TSCP's website. It will be a website/book that can be read online. My English is quite good, but I'm not a native speaker like BlueFever is, and I''m not comfortable making video's. And I can't video edit.

The only thing I know is: if you're writing a chess engine, and even more so, creating tutorials and learning materials, there's only one person you're doing it for: YOURSELF. This is a labor of love; you do it because you want to. The time that you could make a living out of chess engines is over. That was in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. After the personal computer superseded the dedicated chess computers as the default, and open source software like Fruit became widely available, the world has been virtually flooded with chess engines. You don't need to pay for good chess software, because it's all out there for free; you don't have to study for years and years to write even the most basic engine, because all of the information has been developed since the 70's and is out there for free, in one form or another; video's, websites, forums, and even code.

So, please continue writing your chess engine and creating your tutorials; but remember that the only person you are doing it for is YOU. If YOU don't derive pleasure out of creating this material (as in: wanting your very own chess engine from scratch, not a fork of a another engine, and teaching the world how YOU did it, for better or worse), then you shouldn't be doing it.

Hi mvanthoor
BlueFever didn't disappear. He has released many video's since his chess programming in C
I know, I'm following him. I just meant he does not creating new chess engine tutorials anymore
I'm going to create a write-up of programming a chess engine; step by step, much like BlueFever's video's, or TSCP's website. It will be a website/book that can be read online
This is great. I'm tempted to follow your series. Hope you'll post it on this forum one day.
My English is quite good, but I'm not a native speaker like BlueFever is, and I''m not comfortable making video's. And I can't video edit.
I'm not a native speaker as well))) And doing videos live without editing, only pausing when stuck and the resume recording.
if you're writing a chess engine, and even more so, creating tutorials and learning materials, there's only one person you're doing it for: YOURSELF.
Agree. But for me personally starting sharing experience helps me to realize the miserable level I'm currently at and improve all the time
Thanks for your feedback and I appreciate your attention.
towforce

Post by towforce »

My suggestion: maybe the chess programming YouTube home page could prompt viewers to start with an overview video which shows how all the parts fit together to make a whole.

Reading this thread has prompted me to think about what computer chess is all about: for me, it was always a gateway/insight into AI, but now I think it's not that at all for most of us. For the majority here, computer chess is a new type of chess for modern times, and the OP of this thread wants to be a YouTube coach for this new game.
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
Bo Persson
Full name: Bo Persson

Post by Bo Persson »

ChessRenewal wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:10 pm I tried replacing

#ifdef WIN64
#include "windows.h"
#else
#include "sys/time.h"
#include "sys/select.h"
#include "string.h"
#endif

by

#include "windows.h"

Now get:

SeverityCodeDescription StateError C2057 expected constant expression wukong.c line 1466

SeverityCodeDescription StateError C2466 cannot allocate an array of constant size 0 wukong.c line 1466

SeverityCodeDescriptionStateErrorC 2133 'move_scores': unknown size wukong.c line 1466

where Line 1466 is:

int move_scores[move_list->count];

Still get a build failure.
This uses an array with a runtime length (VLA) which was added by C99, but again made optional in C11. (C90 - not present, C99 - required, C11 - optional :shock: )

Microsoft's compiler doesn't specifically support C99, so this feature is not available.

On the other hand, gcc supports it even when it doesn't have to, making it harder to write portable code. :?

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Variable-Length.html
maksimKorzh

Post by maksimKorzh »

Richard Allbert wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:54 pm
maksimKorzh wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:20 pm Hey what's up guys, Code Monkey King's (My YouTube nickname) here.
Nice, just had a quick look and I'll make sure to watch them as they arrive.

All the best with it!

One of the wonderful things about CC is the contributions people make - be it from the top engines and authors, or the lower rated simpler programs with good explanations.
maksimKorzh wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:20 pm SAD STATISTICS on chess programming YouTubers:
1. BluefeverSoftware released his legendary series and... disappeared
Hmmm... this quote makes me assume... Richard, ARE YOU BLUEFEVER SOFTWARE???