Chess solved?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jmartus

Chess solved?

Post by jmartus »

How many more elo until chesd considered solved?
cdani

Re: Chess solved?

Post by cdani »

For me a few hundred.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

jmartus wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:10 pm How many more elo until chesd considered solved?
A few thousand
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Dann Corbit wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:37 pm
jmartus wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:10 pm How many more elo until chesd considered solved?
A few thousand
Good answer! Since the laws of physics would prevent any kind of machine to be built to achieve this calculation. Let alone the energy needed to power such a device. All the stars in the universe would not be enough. The calculation is that BIG.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Post by Cornfed »

Define 'solved'.
towforce

Post by towforce »

A mathematician might create an expression that quickly and correctly categorises a position as win/draw/lose. Failing that, it's a case of watching the elo v draw ratio chart.

It's surprising that a game designed so long ago has held out this long (but go will outlast chess).
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Cornfed wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:02 pm Define 'solved'.
Proving any given position is a win/loss/draw. We can do this with 7 man positions and below.

And this is the position you need to solve.

[d]rnbqkbnr/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/RNBQKBNR w KQkq - 0 1
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
duncan

Post by duncan »

I think Kai thought 400 using some charts till you get all draws (but not solved) Best ask him though.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

duncan wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:51 pm
I think Kai thought 400 using some charts till you get all draws (but not solved) Best ask him though.
This issue is like many things in physics. Your understanding and tech can get close to your objective. And still not true. 400 elo will not get you all draws, just more draws. You only need to prove one win to show this is false. And this can not be done. Chess maybe a win for white, or black with best play, or just a draw. So a chart shows you nothing without proof of solution.
Last edited by mwyoung on Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
duncan

Post by duncan »

mwyoung wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:05 am
duncan wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:51 pm
This issue is like many things in physics. Your understanding and tech can get close to your objective. And still not true. 400 elo will not get you all draw, just more draws. You only need to prove one win to show this is false. And this can not be done. Chess maybe a win for white, or black with best play, or just a draw. So a chart shows you nothing without proof of solution.
If in the future you get a million draws in succession, it is not proof, but evidence towards that chess is a draw, so not nothing imo.