TalkChess Is Back

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

RubiChess
Full name: Andreas Matthies

Re: TalkChess Is Back

Post by RubiChess »

KLc wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:39 pm
mhull wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:17 pm
According to Quentin, unexpectedly high demand for chess-related products put too much stress on the domain and the servers went down. They decided to take Talkchess out of the loop as a temporary relief on the domain. They have upgraded their servers which seems to have mitigated the problem.

Good news for Your Move Chess & Games though! Good business this year for them.
Well, you’re not selling stuff when your servers are down. Seems to be a miscalculation.
Talkchess.com isn't selling anything so this site was taken down to give the other commercial sites running on the same server more of the system resources. This is my understanding.
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Feels good to be back home. Sending a donation!
castlehaven
Full name: Andrew Metrick

Post by castlehaven »

As a relatively new member of this community, I am writing now to express my appreciation for the very useful discussions and information that I have found here. I did not realize how much I was relying on it until it was gone for a few days. I know there has been a lot of drama around here in the last few weeks (maybe it is always that way?), but as a newbie that has all just flown over my head and I have continued to enjoy coming around. Those of you with all the deep knowledge of computer chess and the willingness to share it are doing a great service to newish members oft his great hobby. Thank you.
fishpov

Post by fishpov »

Great thing to see you again Talkchess !
I hope soon in the future that Talkchess will be in https
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

RubiChess wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:01 pm
According to Quentin, unexpectedly high demand for chess-related products put too much stress on the domain and the servers went down. They decided to take Talkchess out of the loop as a temporary relief on the domain. They have upgraded their servers which seems to have mitigated the problem.

Well, you’re not selling stuff when your servers are down. Seems to be a miscalculation.
Talkchess.com isn't selling anything so this site was taken down to give the other commercial sites running on the same server more of the system resources. This is my understanding.
Man....what a strange couple of days that was....went to the Chess & Games site and did not see any notices about talkchess at all.. TalkChess Site was directed to a strange site called http://www.off-the-air.com/?f=7....No info on the issues the be had on there! Looked like a straight site "Hack" or Hijack to me..similar to what happened at ImmortalChess Forum...and lo and behold it just so happens that A whole posse of disgruntled ex members have just started their ProDeo alternative to TalkChess in the last couple of days...So what was one to think about such a strange set of circumstances...an accident or by design? If a Christmas shopping rush caused a server "Crash" then that indeed is good news because I can't recall this happening before to TalkChess Forum...at least not in quite a long time.. :) :wink:

ps TalkChess..Back In Business!!!
Madeleine Birchfield
Full name: Madeleine Birchfield

Post by Madeleine Birchfield »

supersharp77 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:48 am Man....what a strange couple of days that was....went to the Chess & Games site and did not see any notices about talkchess at all.. TalkChess Site was directed to a strange site called http://www.off-the-air.com/?f=7....No info on the issues the be had on there! Looked like a straight site "Hack" or Hijack to me..similar to what happened at ImmortalChess Forum...and lo and behold it just so happens that A whole posse of disgruntled ex members have just started their ProDeo alternative to TalkChess in the last couple of days...So what was one to think about such a strange set of circumstances...an accident or by design? If a Christmas shopping rush caused a server "Crash" then that indeed is good news because I can't recall this happening before to TalkChess Forum...at least not in quite a long time.. :) :wink:

ps TalkChess..Back In Business!!!
You know what else hasn't happened in a long time? A very popular Netflix show about chess being released shortly before the Black Friday shopping holiday (Which was Friday), at the same time as a pandemic causing yet another round of lockdowns. People are very interested about chess now and have nothing better to do than online shopping.
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Madeleine Birchfield wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:17 am You know what else hasn't happened in a long time? A very popular Netflix show about chess being released shortly before the Black Friday shopping holiday (Which was Friday), at the same time as a pandemic causing yet another round of lockdowns. People are very interested about chess now and have nothing better to do than online shopping.
I spend quite a bit of time in poker forums, and the posters in those forums are all raving about what a great show The Queen's Gambit is, and how they have taken up chess as a hobby once again. Your Move probably made a ton of sales this weekend. I was a little surprised Quentin brought TalkChess back online on Cyber Monday instead of waiting another day, but I suppose whatever technical issues they had were sorted out.

It would have been nice if TalkChess had been redirected to a "This site is under maintenance" type page rather than the hijack looking off-the-air page during its downtime.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

Stephen Ham wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:08 pm Hello All,

We all know that TalkChess was not working for a few days. But, why did it fail? Was it "hacked"? Why the redirection to "Off-the-air"? What protocol is now in place to ensure that doesn't recur?

Thanks in advance,
-Steve-

Wow. Great for business. Very glad its back online.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

tmokonen wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:05 am
Madeleine Birchfield wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:17 am You know what else hasn't happened in a long time? A very popular Netflix show about chess being released shortly before the Black Friday shopping holiday (Which was Friday), at the same time as a pandemic causing yet another round of lockdowns. People are very interested about chess now and have nothing better to do than online shopping.
I spend quite a bit of time in poker forums, and the posters in those forums are all raving about what a great show The Queen's Gambit is, and how they have taken up chess as a hobby once again. Your Move probably made a ton of sales this weekend. I was a little surprised Quentin brought TalkChess back online on Cyber Monday instead of waiting another day, but I suppose whatever technical issues they had were sorted out.

It would have been nice if TalkChess had been redirected to a "This site is under maintenance" type page rather than the hijack looking off-the-air page during its downtime.
I really thought it was hacked by all the anti SHID people.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Stephen Ham wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:08 pm Hello All,

We all know that TalkChess was not working for a few days. But, why did it fail? Was it "hacked"? Why the redirection to "Off-the-air"? What protocol is now in place to ensure that doesn't recur?

Thanks in advance,
-Steve-

Exactly why they took talkchess down — it only went down when talkchess was up ;>)