Draw by 3 fold repetition...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Pi4Chess
Full name: Manuel Rivera

Draw by 3 fold repetition...

Post by Pi4Chess »

Why Stockfish can still get caught by simple forced 3 fold repetition with checks to King ?

Shouldn't it avoid lines of play and positions that let the opponent use of this to draw game ?

Is there some theory or programming limits to deal with that (I imagine it is a difficult subject with methods to find 3 fold repetition patterns for itself if needed while trying to avoid the opponent to have this possibility).
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Re: Draw by 3 fold repetition...

Post by Guenther »

Pi4Chess wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:27 pm Why Stockfish can still get caught by simple forced 3 fold repetition with checks to King ?

Shouldn't it avoid lines of play and positions that let the opponent use of this to draw game ?

Is there some theory or programming limits to deal with that (I imagine it is a difficult subject with methods to find 3 fold repetition patterns for itself if needed while trying to avoid the opponent to have this possibility).
Example? It will avoid 3fold, if it thinks it is not behind in evaluation (contempt included).
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
Pi4Chess

Post by Pi4Chess »

Guenther wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:37 pm
Pi4Chess wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:27 pm Why Stockfish can still get caught by simple forced 3 fold repetition with checks to King ?

Example? It will avoid 3fold, if it thinks it is not behind in evaluation (contempt included).
When stockfish thinks 20+ depth why he didn't managed to avoid a 3 fold check repetition that is 6 or 8 depth?

First answer that comes to mind is : because it has not been coded to avoid it
Guenther

Post by Guenther »

Pi4Chess wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:44 pm

When stockfish thinks 20+ depth why he didn't managed to avoid a 3 fold check repetition that is 6 or 8 depth?

Still no example?

trollwatch:
Pi4Chess

Post by Pi4Chess »

Guenther wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:46 pm

Still no example?
I will get on lichess later. But my wondering is general. I see at high level many draws by repetition in engines games. So I think i see this as a big problem in evaluation function
Guenther

Post by Guenther »

Pi4Chess wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:50 pm

Still no example?
I will get on lichess later. But my wondering is general. I see at high level many draws by repetition in engines games. So I think i see this as a big problem in evaluation function
I don't see this... usually no engine except with severe bugs will draw by rep, except it thinks there is no better move, or it thinks the position of the opponent is already better.

trollwatch:
Pi4Chess

Post by Pi4Chess »

Guenther wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:54 pm
Pi4Chess wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:50 pm

Still no example?
I don't see this... usually no engine except with severe bugs will draw by rep, except it thinks there is no better move, or it thinks the position of the opponent is already better.
Oh ! But How the opponent that position is supposed to be better let this 3 fold repetition happen 😉
Pi4Chess

Post by Pi4Chess »

here an example... but it's one example amongst many : https://lichess.org/Mm6BnWjv/white#92

another one ; https://lichess.org/2HC4sORt/white
Guenther

Post by Guenther »

Pi4Chess wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:25 pm here an example... but it's one example amongst many : https://lichess.org/Mm6BnWjv/white#92
Obviously you must be a quite weak player yourself?

1. Those are quite likely SF vs. SF games
2. White has simply no other moves and your opponent (=Black) forced the draw
3. Of course White (your SF) doesn't want to lose, so it has to take the draw

So much for creating a hypothesis about a big general problem, which does not exist

A quite annoying thread and your attitude in this thread makes me doubt I would like replying to you again.

trollwatch:
Pi4Chess

Post by Pi4Chess »

Guenther wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:39 pm
Pi4Chess wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:25 pm here an example... but it's one example amongst many : https://lichess.org/Mm6BnWjv/white#92
Obviously you must be a quite weak player yourself?

1. Those are quite likely SF vs. SF games
2. White has simply no other moves and your opponent (=Black) forced the draw
3. Of course White (your SF) doesn't want to lose, so it has to take the draw

So much for creating a hypothesis about a big general problem, which does not exist

A quite annoying thread and your attitude in this thread makes me doubt I would like replying to you again.
Lol nobody forced you to reply. You are quite agressive. If you have problems in your life others are not responsible for it.
Let me think that an engine should avoid 3 fold repetition draws (especially those forced by king's checking) in its search for playable positions, and this could be a nice improvement if these type of draws could be avoided in top engines matches.